Quick access bedside gun storage?

I was thinking of getting a GunVault safe (link below) to use for my quick access “bedside” gun. I do not have kids but still would like to be able to just lock up quick if need be but also have access to my house handgun from my bed at night. Currently I just leave it in a drawer and then lock in my safe during the day, this is kind of a hassle.

How do you guys store your “quick access bedside gun”?

http://superpageshosting.com/gunvaultcom/handgunsafesminivaultstandard/

Last edited:
I use the Sportsafe from DAC.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2221464

Works fine. And you can set an alarm to go off if the combination buttons are tampered with. I think it even has a motion detector alarm option. I'll have to re-read the manual.

And, extra mounting baseplates are available so you can install it in your vehicle/summer home/office etc.

I was thinking of getting a GunVault safe (link below) to use for my quick access “bedside” gun. I do not have kids but still would like to be able to just lock up quick if need be but also have access to my house handgun from my bed at night. Currently I just leave it in a draw and then lock in my safe during the day, this is kind of a hassle.

That's what I use. I love it.

I'm a cheap bastard, plus I've got limited height under the bed, so I picked up a cheap Sentry safe from Wally World for under the bed. It's bolted to the floor, so it ain't going anywhere, and the kids can't easily get to it, so it does what I want it to.

That said, it takes practice, practice, practice to get quick at grabbing the key and opening it. But it's well-worth the practice...

I was thinking of getting a GunVault safe (link below) to use for my quick access “bedside” gun. I do not have kids but still would like to be able to just lock up quick if need be but also have access to my house handgun from my bed at night. Currently I just leave it in a draw and then lock in my safe during the day, this is kind of a hassle.

Why do people have different 'house' guns and 'carry' guns? Seems that if one shoots somebody on the street it would still shoot somebody in the house.

It's a lot simpler to put your carry gun beside the bed, like your wallet, watch and whatever else you don't wear in bed.

Why do people have different 'house' guns and 'carry' guns? Seems that if one shoots somebody on the street it would still shoot somebody in the house.

It's a lot simpler to put your carry gun beside the bed, like your wallet, watch and whatever else you don't wear in bed.

Because my L Frame .357 is to big and heavy to carry everyday, at least for my normal everyday cloths (but I do carry it in the woods).[grin]

I just clipped and zip tied a cheap nylon belt holster to the bed frame on my side.

I slip a revolver in there when I go to bed. The holster has a magazine pouch built into it, where I stick a compact, very bright LED flashlight.

In the morning, the gun goes back to its storage location.

ETA: All I need to do is roll over to my right and my right hand falls on the grip of the gun. My left hand falls very near the light. One quick sweep up and both are aiming right down my doorway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a GunVault, but have become concerned about the batteries. I don't seem to get a low battery warning - it just stops working. Maybe every 6mo, but sometimes sooner. Murphy's Laws imply it will stop working when I really need it.

Maybe one of those Simplex mechanical push-button ones would be better. I have one in my desk drawer at work - it's easy.

WTH is a Draw ? Do you mean in a holster attached to your bed as in a draw position ?

I have 2 pistols in a Multi Vault attached to the headboard as its made of 2x12 boards it must weigh 200 lbs it ain't going anywhere.

Do you mean in a holster attached to your bed as in a draw position ?

I know you weren't talking to me, but yes, that is exactly what I do.

gdIEc35ijdAcikmFrDFlXGFTgS6XE0eY0300.jpg

WTH is a Draw ? Do you mean in a holster attached to your bed as in a draw position ?

I have 2 pistols in a Multi Vault attached to the headboard as its made of 2x12 boards it must weigh 200 lbs it ain't going anywhere.

I believe they mean "Drawer." Like the place where you keep your silverware or the junk drawer.

+1 for the gun vault

I use a keyed lock box - somehow at 2am, remembering finger positions, combinations, or unlocking before sleep seemed to be troublesome. With the lock box, I keep the key on my car keys, that way I can't forget to lock it back up when I leave. More and more though, I'm finding myself wanting to take Pilgrim's stance and defend the home with what I carry. Currently, I use a Glock 22, but am wondering if I might be better served with my carry rig on a nightstand next to my wallet and keys....

I have a GunVault, but have become concerned about the batteries. I don't seem to get a low battery warning - it just stops working. Maybe every 6mo, but sometimes sooner. Murphy's Laws imply it will stop working when I really need it.

Maybe one of those Simplex mechanical push-button ones would be better. I have one in my desk drawer at work - it's easy.

I'm surprised your batteries have that short of a life, try some Duracell ultra digitals. I keep a section of the wrapper from the last battery change and write the date on it when to change them next, usually once a year.

Surefire on the nightstand, gun on the floor under it, extra mag also.

I bought a quick access top-load safe from ADG Sports. It has external 9V contacts that can power the lock if the internal batteries go dead and an external key in case you forget the code. Very nice.

I'm not using it yet because it doesn't fit very well in the drawer under the bed and the current nightstand drawers are too small. The underbed drawer is big enough but it does not come out far enough to provide easy access. I need to build a new nightstand that has drawers big enough for the safe. That's the excuse I'm using for some quality time in the woodshop. [wink]

I've got nothing fancy - keep my Glock23 in a holster next to me then strap it on in the morning. If for some reason I've my Glock locked up, I do the same thing with my S&W 686. Of course, I'm able to do this because I live on my own so I don't have to worry about anyone else's hands getting a hold of my firearms. When I have a...ummm...friendly visitor of the female persuasion, shall we say, I lock it up in my bedroom closet safe where I can get at it relatively quickly (backlit keypress combo).

but still would like to be able to just lock up quick if need be but also have access to my house handgun from my bed at night. Currently I just leave it in a drawer and then lock in my safe during the day, this is kind of a hassle.

I'm surprised nobody commented about this - it's illegal under MGL to leave your firearm in an ulocked drawer while you're asleep.

From the MGL:

Section 131L. (a) It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user. For purposes of this section, such weapon shall not be deemed stored or kept if carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user.

While you're asleep you have no control over the firearm.

I'm surprised nobody commented about this - it's illegal under MGL to leave your firearm in an ulocked drawer while you're asleep.

While I don't suggest anyone break the law, the probability of it coming to
the attention of someone that can charge you is probably minimal, save for
an exigent circumstance.

Awhile ago someone here showed a pillow holster rig thing.... that possibly
would resolve the "control" issue, given that it would be difficult for someone
to steal the gun from that holster without waking you up- thus, the owner
would still possibly have "control".

Edit: FWIW, I have one of those larger "Gun Vault" rigs. It is pretty neat... it is
configurable a bunch of different ways. The mounting plate that comes with it
sucks ass, though. You can still mount it without the plate, though.

-Mike

Last edited:
Mike
Its ok I was just having fun with you easterners.

In actuality my wife also uses the term (DRAW) for drawer. As well as calls ground beef "Chopped meat" and has an interesting pronunciation for "Mirror"
and other words that I didn't always understand when I met her. I was born and raised in LA (Read Los Angeles California. She on the other hand was born and Raised a major part of her young life living on the Jersey Shore. Tom's River or some area near that.

There is a Italian Clam shaped Pastry that has cheese and other tasty stuff in it and her family called it a SHVEADELL others in SF San Fransisco Bakery's call it a Sfogliatella or something like that. and then there is Ricotta cheese she calls that RIgoota.

Its like her family has their own pronunciation for words that we say a different way. It's funny.

I figured yall being on the right coast would most likely understand her pronunciation.

I could go on and on. LOL.

Sorry I ment "drawer", I have a spelling disorder and am currently waiting on Deval to set up a new tax on you guys to pay for a spelling assistant to help me.[smile]

Back
Top Bottom