Ranges with Rentals in Northeastern MA?

I'm near Woburn, and I was wondering if anyone knew of ranges near me rent firearms. Most of the ranges don't mention it on their websites, so I figured I'd check with the group hoping for a referral. MFS is a bit of a trek, so I was looking for something closer.

Thanks!

Granite State Indoor Range has lots of rentals, and it's maybe 25-30 min from Woburn. Nice thing is you can rent any guns in the same caliber for one fee.

I think I've only been there once since Jack left, is it better or worse?

Very busy place (at least on the weekends when I have gone) a little to close quarters and tight for me. Feel like I am constantly almost bumping into people. Last time I was there I did some thinking. How many of these people have experience with firearms? and how many of these people are actually being safe in such close quarters? They pack way to many people in there

Bobs is best visited on off hours, this is true (1pm on a tuesday, go for it. 3pm on a saturday, eh not so much). Last time I went there were only two other groups in there, a father/son with 22 pistol, and a group of 4 college senior-ish age who rented a pistol caliber carbine (don't remember which one). Other notable, the range is "heated" in the loosest sense of the word - i don't put much stock in the pellet stove they have in there.

Granite state, is fully heated/cooled, electronic target system (punch in your desired distance), and they''l let you shoot up to .308. Also, they're $20 till your done, not $20/hr. If I was closer I'd probably go there quite a bit more (I'm basically next door to bobs and i've still been to GSIR more often).

Joe, the guy who owns On Target Firearms in Dracut was in the process of building a range down the road from his shop when I swung in over the summer; was supposed to be done late november. Haven't taken the time to go see if it got finished yet.

All public ranges are going to have whackos that don't know basic firearm safety and you're going to feel very uncomfortable quickly on the weekend.

Granite state has some interesting rules so some research might be in order before you go there.

Granite state has some interesting rules so some research might be in order before you go there.

I was worried about that but they don't seem to enforce them at all. You can draw from holster for example, I asked the guy and he said "sure" even though it says "no drawing from holster!" right on the form.

Go on non peak hours . Not the safest place lol .

Not just the people renting you have to worry about, have to be concerned with some of the employees too! I got muzzle swept numerous times by a female employee behind the counter "showing off" her new laser grips on her 1911 that was cocked and locked. I was there for a transfer and she withdrew it from her holster then swept me and the seller in addition to other customers while she tried to show us the laser dot on the wall[rolleyes]

Not just the people renting you have to worry about, have to be concerned with some of the employees too! I got muzzle swept numerous times by a female employee behind the counter "showing off" her new laser grips on her 1911 that was cocked and locked. I was there for a transfer and she withdrew it from her holster then swept me and the seller in addition to other customers while she tried to show us the laser dot on the wall[rolleyes]
Nice. Should I wear body armor?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Good to know. I might have to plan a trip up there. Safe to assume weekends are normally peak days?

I've put many thousand rounds downrange at Granite State, been to Bob's a handful of times, and went to MFS once - here's my input:

Granite State - Weekend mornings seem to be pretty crazy. I've gone in the later afternoon/early evening on Saturday's and had no wait. It's a great, clean, modern range. They usually have a safety officer roaming around which is off-putting to some, but I appreciate it as I've seen them correct a few suspect behaviors from other shooters (mostly because they put their target too high and were shooting the ceiling). If you prove to be responsible and well controlled, they generally don't care about things like double taps or abiding by the '1 second between shots' rule. I will say this, though - good ear protection is a must. Lots of ARs, AKs, and other rifles are usually being shot. Indoors that gets really loud, especially if I'm in the stall next to you with my Mosin. As nice as the range is, the only thing I'll caution you on is the rentals themselves. While they have a great selection, keep in mind they are free state versions so the triggers may not always match what you'll buy in MA.

Bob's - I'll say that their staff are actually cool guys. The range - my biggest gripe is that it's dark, cramped, dirty, and has terrible ventilation. There's usually a cloud of gun smoke lingering in front of my face while shooting. I've only gone on off hours and seen maybe one suspect shooter, but I can't speak to the busy times. Their website says they're updating the range. They've done a good job updating the shop itself, so we'll see how nice the range may come out someday.

MFS - also a great modern range. I've only been there once as it's a bit of a hassle to get to. My only problem there is the $25/hour charge. Granite State is $20 for as long as you're there.

Going to check out some 9mm handguns at granite state. It will be about an hour drive, but seems worth it to pay 1 gun rental fee for half a dozen + handguns

Go for it. They actually encourage people trying a lot of rentals - they're very friendly about it. It was a madhouse last Friday afternoon (1-2 pm), I'd avoid Fridays.

I went to MFL once about a year or so ago, nice that they always have a range officer in there.

I have been to Bobs a few times, 2 weekends ago I went there and it was busy as hell, a large portion were owners, so it wasnt too bad. Last Wednesday I went with a friend, and there was only 1 other person on the range with us the entire time, and he wasnt a renter.

I average about once a week at granite State. Lately I've had to wait up to 45min some weekdays, usually around noon time. I don't mind because its convenient and the price is right. A piece of advice I was given once, and I adhere to it every visit... Stand in the store/rental area and look into the range through the glass for a bit and see who's shooting and how they're shooting. Lots of young guys with young girls trying to show off their lack of knowledge, safety and.... safety. Most times there is a RSO on the range keeping an eye on everyone, so that should help deter, what could turn into a bad situation. Be safe.

Wife and I went to Granite State on a Friday a few weeks ago.
We had a great time and are going back maybe next Friday.
Fridays it is Lady's Day so it was $25 forboth of us for the day.
We rented 9mm's and tried 4 of them ( they have a shelf full )
for only $15 and put a total of 150 rounds down range.
I also tried 2 AR-15 with with 20 rounds of ammo.
Bought 4 targets and the total cost was about $130.
It was our first time renting/using guns and they were very
patient and the safety officer in the range was very helpful !
Best bang ( pun intended ) for the buck IMHO ...
Rob ...

Back
Top Bottom