Read on a S&W serial Number.

I acquired a S&W 4043. Can anyone research serial numbers to find a date of manufacture for me. I believe it is Pre-ban and reads Police Program on the box. I am sure it was a trade-in or something but I was wondering how to find the manf. date. (Serial# VDL3258)

I acquired a S&W 4043. Can anyone research serial numbers to find a date of manufacture for me. I believe it is Pre-ban and reads Police Program on the box. I am sure it was a trade-in or something but I was wondering how to find the manf. date. (Serial# VDL3258)

If you call Smith and Wesson's customer service number they will tell you right then while your on the phone with them.

That model was produced from 1991 - 1999. I don't see the VDL prefix in my book, but VAMxxxx was 1994 and VHNxxxx was 1998 so I would guess it's somewhere between the two.

Congrats, it's a nice little gun.

(By the way, pre-ban or not pre-ban makes very little difference for a handgun.)

Last edited:
(By the way, pre-ban or not pre-ban makes very little difference for a handgun.)

If I were to guess, I'd think he'd want to know the age of the magazines that came with it. (since the age of the gun doesn't matter.)

If I were to guess, I'd think he'd want to know the age of the magazines that came with it. (since the age of the gun doesn't matter.)

Pretty sure those all came with 10 round magazines anyway. There were some 11 round mags but I think those were earlier.

(Of course the age of the gun isn't necessarily the age of the mags....)

Well it seems to be a version of the 4003 which came with 11 rnd mags. My mags are 11 rnd, S&W mags. I was curious about the age of the gun because it is in excellent condition.

Back
Top Bottom