• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reading Rifle and Revolver

I know a couple of members where I work and they ell me membership is closed. Maybe this is not true and my co-workers just don't like me :)
I would like to possibly join this club and would love to know if membership is open.

I know a couple of members where I work and they ell me membership is closed. Maybe this is not true and my co-workers just don't like me :)
I would like to possibly join this club and would love to know if membership is open.

As far as I know membership is open. Applications are available in the office.

I just went down to the RR&RC club yesterday and picked up an application, but have a question regarding sponsorship. I saw that in lieu of a sponsor, we can get our police chief to recommend us. Does this refer to the police chief of our city/town, or the police chief of the municipality that Law Enforcement personnel work in?

I have been shooting pistols for over a decade, but am relatively inexperienced with rifles. Is it frowned upon as a "newbie" to go down on one of the open rifle competitions at RR&RC and compete? If anyone would be willing to meet me down the range at some point (I live ~5 minutes away) I would love to see their indoor/outdoor facilities, and it would be greatly appreciated.

I just went down to the RR&RC club yesterday and picked up an application, but have a question regarding sponsorship. I saw that in lieu of a sponsor, we can get our police chief to recommend us. Does this refer to the police chief of our city/town, or the police chief of the municipality that Law Enforcement personnel work in?

I have been shooting pistols for over a decade, but am relatively inexperienced with rifles. Is it frowned upon as a "newbie" to go down on one of the open rifle competitions at RR&RC and compete? If anyone would be willing to meet me down the range at some point (I live ~5 minutes away) I would love to see their indoor/outdoor facilities, and it would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know the answer to the first question. As for the second question, everyone is welcome as long as they are safe. If you show up and let the match director know that you're new, he'll be sure to put you with someone who can show you the ropes and get you started.

As Jason said any safe shooter is welcomed. That being said, the rifle matches going on every Sunday morning this winter are 200 yard offhand. That may not be the best venue for a new shooter to jump in. You need a 200y zero and be able to keep all your shots on paper. Easier said than done. The club cannot afford to have a round leave the range. Best bet would be to come down and poke around on a Sunday morning and meet some people. Skeet, trap and highpower ranges all should have some action going on

As Jason said any safe shooter is welcomed. That being said, the rifle matches going on every Sunday morning this winter are 200 yard offhand. That may not be the best venue for a new shooter to jump in. You need a 200y zero and be able to keep all your shots on paper. Easier said than done. The club cannot afford to have a round leave the range. Best bet would be to come down and poke around on a Sunday morning and meet some people. Skeet, trap and highpower ranges all should have some action going on

It's not hard to at least be on paper. With a little instruction and some practice anyone can do it. (Well, almost anyone.) [grin]

Thank you jasons and Zeke. I really appreciate the info.

I don't know the answer to the first question. As for the second question, everyone is welcome as long as they are safe. If you show up and let the match director know that you're new, he'll be sure to put you with someone who can show you the ropes and get you started.

Another option is the vintage military rifle group that meets on Saturday mornings in the winter. To me (also a pistol guy), that seems like a great way to get started. They shoot at the 100yd range (targets at 50yds & 100yds), offhand. No optics, no shooting jackets, no trigger jobs, etc.. Last year I met this group only by chance, as they weren't on the calendar. They were all shooting Mosins. Now it looks like they're on the calendar, and other mil-surp rifles other than Mosins are allowed. I realize this is not precision high-power, but all the safety aspect should still be the same.

Follow up question from OP: Does this gun club do written, shooting tests and interview to their applicants?

Mass rifle does this:

The orientation process consists of a review of the orientation video, a test on the range rules and a safety examination on the range. The safety examination consists monitoring by a qualified instructor while you handle and shoot a .22 caliber revolver, semi-automatic pistol and a bolt action rifle.

[h=2]Interview Process[/h]The interview process consists of the new member having a conversation with a current member who follows a approved set of questions.

i dont accept anyone, but then again I'm turning into a grumpy old man.

it's been said time and time again....its straight forward. leave a message @ the club for Bob, he'll usually call you back.

if you dont have a sponsor, get one. come to matches, events, etc, and get to know people. without someone to vouch for you, your application won't go anywhere.

there isn't a "wait list" per se. theres people who submit applications with no sponsors/etc, who are still "waiting". timeline can be anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, depending on how you catch the newsletter schedule (your name gets printed as a prospective member)

I just joined Reading, and had a question for the members. I was trying to visualize the process for using the 200 300 500 600 yard ranges, and I didn't realize they had targets that raise up from behind the barrier that it appears people stay down range at competitions to pull targets. I had no idea what a puller was.

Bob told us the process of checking the gates to see who is using what firing line and if it's free to close the gates to the ones we aren't using and leave the gate open for the one we will use, and told us about the 30 minute rule, etc.

My question is, heading down the the pits, is this setup where you drive down and walk into the target area while someone is shooting or after a cold range call?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It's set up to be able to drive down while people are shooting. The important bit is to make sure you don't go to a firing line while someone is shooting up range

What is that building at the 200/300 gate? Also where are the target stands and targets for the 200/300/500/600 yard range? In that trailer in the pit?

What is that building at the 200/300 gate? Also where are the target stands and targets for the 200/300/500/600 yard range? In that trailer in the pit?

building @ 200/300yd gate? there isn't one? if you mean across the roadway through that small clearing, thats the trap house.

the blue building across from the 200yd gate is the main clubhouse / 50ft indoor range

targets are in the bunker thats built into the pit wall. you bring your own targets and staple/paste them on. those backers get tied into the target carriers (bob should have shown you this when you did your orientation)

the conex boxes are locked, and stay that way unless theres a match going on. thats where we store all of the materials we need for matches.

This was the building I was asking about.
8a337580394fb6d2db1df68d0421ae5d.jpg

Past that building is the 200 yard firing line. That building has some benches and firing points that are somewhat protected from the elements. You need to have someone walk you through the range procedures. Bob can do it or a high power shooter. There are matches both days this weekend. That's where you'll meet guys that can help you out. Problem is it's tough to get someone to spend time with you during a match if they're competing. When do you go there?

Back
Top Bottom