• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reading Rifle and Revolver

I live about 1/4 mile from this club, tried to call them, no one picks up. Left VM about membership, no one called back. Drove 3 times to the place, once the gate was closed, the second time I got in, but the place was deserted, and the third time the gate closed on my as I approached. What is the deal with the club, they used to be a popular one a few years ago, now the place feels abandoned.

The club is quite active, actually.
If you're interested in joining, you have to be sponsored by a member in good standing. if you just want to see what it's all about, i believe someone is usually available to chit chat on sunday mornings.

I don't know anybody in Reading. I have only lived in Reading for a year, but will definitively stop by on Sunday morning. I hope the requirement is not to keep away new members [grin] I am looking for some mentorship, just recently got my LTC A from Reading PD, which was easier than I expected. The training was done at Mass Rifle, however that club is a little too crowded for me.

I was looking at trying to join that club at one time for the Highpower range they have. This was a year ago or so and at that point they had a wait period of close to a year for new members. Can't say if that is the case now, but I'm sure the wait line is still pretty long. Defintely go there on a Sunday morning as they do Highpower shoot then and the clubhouse office is open. They can give you an application and you will need a sponser. I believe there are a couple of members here on the board.

Wow, a whole year? Mass Rifle did not have such wait times LOL.

Mass rifle also doesnt have the only 600yd range in Mass, or an extremely active highpower program (IIRC 23 of us went to Perry this year, and a number did VERY well, including Senior National Champion for NRA week.)

ive seen peoples applications take 2 years. its all in what you're after. if you know nobody to vouch for you, and dont shoot any particular discipline the club offers (and get to know people there), it'll be a long wait. be proactive. it goes a long way.

It is actually a matter of timing as to how long you will wait. There isn't actually a waiting list, we don't let just anyone in. There is a process which includes your name in the news letter so that if anyone knows anything about you they add their .02

Thanks a lot everyone for the information. I stopped by the club today, and met the secretary, who was very nice. She mentioned I need to speak with Bob, the president, and I need to be referred by a member. If anyone is willing to take the challenge of mentorship I am willing to come down at the club and get familiar with everyone.

One thing I forgot to ask her, and don't want to wait until next Sunday... This could also be useful for others. What are the fees, and requirements to join? NRA, GOAL required?

Unless it has changed recently, $150 per year with a one time initiation fee of $150. Don't need to be a member of Goal or NRA. Also good to note: no rapid fire/double tap , no drawing from the holster, paper targets only, and I believe a five round in the magazine limit.

Unless it has changed recently, $150 per year with a one time initiation fee of $150. Don't need to be a member of Goal or NRA. Also good to note: no rapid fire/double tap , no drawing from the holster, paper targets only, and I believe a five round in the magazine limit.

all correct except initiation fee. first year you'll spend $360 becoming a member ($200 initiation, $150 dues, $10 keyfob deposit)

IIRC it's 5 rounds for a handgun. it's single-load only on the 100/175yd range. "rapid" fire practice is allowed on the 200/300yd ranges (for those wishing to practice sitting/prone rapids for NRA highpower, firing 2 and 8 or 5 and 5, typically. single load only on the 600yd line).

all correct except initiation fee. first year you'll spend $360 becoming a member ($200 initiation, $150 dues, $10 keyfob deposit)

The first year's dues are pro-rated, so $360 is the max but it would be $250ish right now. (...but then another $150 in January.)

I had also thought that Reading does require NRA membership. The application comes with a page of instructions that should cover that either way, though.

Note also that the newsletter is quarterly. If your timing was perfect you could probably get through the membership process in a few weeks, but if you just miss a deadline figure on a few months. It shouldn't take more than that unless you count the "finding a sponsor" time.

I had also thought that Reading does require NRA membership. The application comes with a page of instructions that should cover that either way, though.
For the record: I was wrong on that. It's encouraged and used to be required, but is not currently.

Is there any information online about the range and membership process/fees, etc, etc, etc?

Is there any information online about the range and membership process/fees, etc, etc, etc?

Not much info online at the moment. I believe it's up to $385 for the first year (includes initiation and key fob.) Process is to find a sponsor to vouch for you and then fill out and submit an app. I'm a member there if you want to meet up and check it out.

Does the club maintain a website? What is the process to join? Would like to stop by and see the facilities as I am currently shopping for a new club.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I've never been able to find a website for them with any useful info about membership.

Does the club maintain a website? What is the process to join? Would like to stop by and see the facilities as I am currently shopping for a new club.

There is no official website (long story,) but there is some info on readinghighower.com. The best way to join is to swing by on Sunday morning or one of the nights that the office is open (Tuesdays are one I think) and talk to someone in the office. It's not exactly an easy club to join - you do need a sponsor who will vouch for you and they take the sponsor requirement fairly seriously. Basically if you don't know someone who's already a member and can walk you through the process you're probably not going to have an easy time joining.

There is no official website (long story,) but there is some info on readinghighower.com. The best way to join is to swing by on Sunday morning or one of the nights that the office is open (Tuesdays are one I think) and talk to someone in the office. It's not exactly an easy club to join - you do need a sponsor who will vouch for you and they take the sponsor requirement fairly seriously. Basically if you don't know someone who's already a member and can walk you through the process you're probably not going to have an easy time joining.

Great, thanks for the info. Well if anyone here is willing to show me around the club sometime I'd be grateful. Not sure how'd I'd ever get a sponsor though...definitely don't know any members there.

Great, thanks for the info. Well if anyone here is willing to show me around the club sometime I'd be grateful. Not sure how'd I'd ever get a sponsor though...definitely don't know any members there. Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I'll show you around if you want. I got to know people by showing up at the matches and shooting. (Most of the matches are open.)

Is there still like a year+ wait list jasons?

Not that I'm Jason, but I think the membership has been running just a little bit under capacity lately.

The process for joining, though, still can take quite a while. Prospective members get listed in the newsletter for comments, and that's quarterly, so if your timing is bad it'll take a while.

Back
Top Bottom