Recoil comparison

Newb question but,I have'nt shot a shotgun yet, and I was wondering if a 12 guage recoil would compare to a rifle in .308, which I have.

Wow good one. All I can say is, Assuming you are using comparable guns. meaning Pump/Bolt/break. Or both gas operated semi. And I guess comparable ammo (light or heavy) I would say that the .308 is alot more "punchy" if thats even a word. The shotgun is alot more "pushy" I think thats a word.

My conclusion: if you put the but of the two firearms together and fired them simultaneously. The shot gun would win in inches of recoil but the rifle would indent itself into the shotgun stock. This is kinda a bad analogy I am gonna quit while I am failing at this.

Hope I confused you more!

As mentioned, it depends, with projectile weight / velocity, gun weight, and action type. But, as a ballpark measure, 1 1/8 oz of shot at 1200fps out of a 7.5lb shotgun produces recoil energy of about 23 ft-lbs while a 168 grain .308 at 2700fps produces about 18 ft-lbs of recoil (both according to ChuckHawks.com). Also, with heavy loads in 3 inch shells the shotgun has higher possible recoil than the .308 in just about any load.

From experience, I find a .308 bolt gun more comfortable than a pump action 12-gauge with similar gun weight and middle-of-the-road loads in each. Moving to a semi-auto shotgun, the lower recoil velocity of the 12-gauge combined with the effect of the action makes them seem roughly of equal comfort/discomfort to me.

There is something said for learning how to shoot a shotgun properly.

Tru Dat! proper shouldering is key. If you shoot a .308 you'll be fine with a shotgun if you shoulder it properly. You can have a great time with a shotgun.

Good luck!

Funny I used to have a 416 remington mag in a ruger no 1 and a h&r 10 gauge and I swear it was easier to shoot the 416 for long periods of time while it wasn't for the 10 gauge.

Of course the 10 gauge was only around 5 or 6 pounds.

But the recoils were totally different as far as speed. The shot gun was like a quick push where the rifle was more like a hit.

But all that aside they both hurt the shoulder [smile]

Nick

I thought my M-44 had some heavy recoil, then I bought a box of 3.5" 12 ga turkey loads.

Let's just say I thought the gun was patterned well enough after two shots. [thinking]

Newb question but,I have'nt shot a shotgun yet, and I was wondering if a 12 guage recoil would compare to a rifle in .308, which I have.

I used to have a 30-06 with a fat rubber recoil pad plus it was a heavy gun and the recoil wasn't bad.

I have a single barrel 12ga which consists of a wooden stock and a metal tube with no recoil pad. Shooting a 3.5" magnum out of that feels like taking a wind up haymaker to the shoulder.

It totally depends on the gun. I would say a bare bones rifle in 308 or 30-06 somewhat resembles the recoil of a similarly bare bones scatter gun (that's right I said scatter gun).

I was shooting my 12 ga. home defense gun yesterday which is really light cause it has an aluminum reciever and senthetic stock & forend. I was in a t-shirt and wasn't really bothered by the 2 3/4" 00 buck recoil. Sure, it recoiled but if you lean into it it's certainly not going to hurt you. Then again I am a pretty large fellow. But still, I dont think it would bother you. My 115 pound girlfriend has shot it a few times and shes still in one piece.

It really depends on your application, especially with the shotgun. With some exceptions (turkey and deer hunting), the shotgun is used in motion. To me, when I'm swinging and firing on a clay bird, I feel not recoil. Same load, same gun, firing at a patterning board, I feel the recoil.

I have to agree a 12 isn't bad, unless your shooting 3 shoot burst of 3.5 inch mag from a semi auto.

Thats will let you know it's there

I shot my Mossberg 500 in 12ga with a knox recoil reducing stock using 2 3/4 7/8oz & 1oz slugs on Sunday (granted it's the first time I've shot a 12ga in 20 yrs, and probably did a few things wrong). I finally had use of my shoulder on Wednesday! This in NO way compares to my M1A shooting SA 7.62x51 surplus. The M1A is a pussycat! The 12ga is an enraged BEAST! My two cents....

Recoil isn't bad when shooting bird shot while standing. Sitting at the bench, trying to sight-in a shotgun with slugs is another matter entirely. Ouch.

I've found that the fit between the rifle/shotgun and you, along with the design of the butt plate is the greatest variable. A few years ago, I shot a Marlin lever gun in.45-70 and a Browning bolt gun in .375 H&H magnum on the same afternoon. The Browning was MUCH more pleasant to shoot.

It seems like everyone has pretty much had the same reaction to a 12 gauge recoil. I have to say I feel like a .308 recoils harder.

I bought my dad a 6 position pistol grip stock for his Mossberg for his birthday and we took it out and put five boxes of slugs through it in the backyard. I was ready to keep going but that was it for shells. Conversely I put about 30 rounds through an M1A not too long ago and i was ready to stop.

It really depends on the shooter and their technique imho, but nothing you should be afraid of unless you're something like 5'1" 95 pounds. haha

I remember the first time I took my Beretta Extrema to the range to patten 3.5 in turkey mags.All I thought was "Recoil Reduction Design" my ass, it was like getting hit with a bat.

Like others have already said, depends on the action, gun weight, loads, and shooting technique. Over & Under with 2 3/4 skeet loads, you can shoot it all day.

I bought my dad a 6 position pistol grip stock for his Mossberg for his birthday and we took it out and put five boxes of slugs through it in the backyard. I was ready to keep going but that was it for shells. Conversely I put about 30 rounds through an M1A not too long ago and i was ready to stop.

Odd. I'd much rather shoot my M1A than my 870 with slugs.

Back
Top Bottom