Recommendations for a primer 12G reloading

Could I have a suggestion on a reliable primer for reloading 12-gauge Shotgun shells. They will be loaded with slugs

Also, and recommendations on a reliable powder?

I know I ask a lot of questions on here but I figure it's the place with the largest amount of reloading wisdom around here...

Thanks

As already posted = Follow the specific recipes. Reloading shotgun is NOT at all like pistol or rifle reloading.

Maybe start off with the particular shell brand and type you want to reload.

If this is confusing, maybe look into Lyman's shotgun reloading manual.

Last edited:
What do you have access to for hulls, slugs, and wads? From that we can help you narrow down what to use for primer and powder.

Alliant and Western Powders have online resources, and I can look up specific loads in a Lyman manual.

You may want to read through this thread.

Lyman has some slug data up here.

Last edited:
The hull, wad, projectile, powder and primer are a system.

Your question is like saying, "What size tires go on my car?"

I'd personally use a published reference, preferably not the first edition.

Do you already have some components that you're trying to utilize? And, most shotgun reloading tends to be for Trap or Skeet - was there a specific reason to hand-load slugs?

Could I have a suggestion on a reliable primer for reloading 12-gauge Shotgun shells. They will be loaded with slugs

I know I ask a lot of questions on here but I figure it's the place with the largest amount of reloading wisdom around here...

Thanks

Your question is odd , are you currently reloading 12G and having issues with "unreliable" primers and powder ? Your question is too vague. Give us more situational facts.

What size slug? 7/8 oz.,1oz. or 1 1/8 oz? Lots of variables you haven’t mentioned yet. Like what brand of hull, which wad, or which manufacturer of primer do you want to use. We can help guide you, we just need more info.

Last edited:

Thanks
I have reloaded many types of 12g shotshell. So far all 209 primer manufactures have done what they should.
Now sometimes imported hulls dont get along with domestic primers when seating new primers.
As for powder so many opptions, so many combinations of shells, wads , pay loads

Thanks

I have reloaded many types of 12g shotshell. So far all 209 primer manufactures have done what they should.
Now sometimes imported hulls dont get along with domestic primers when seating new primers.
As for powder so many opptions, so many combinations of shells, wads , pay loads

209 primers??? Where are you getting 209 primers

The hull, wad, projectile, powder and primer are a system.

Your question is like saying, "What size tires go on my car?"

I'd personally use a published reference, preferably not the first edition.

Do you already have some components that you're trying to utilize? And, most shotgun reloading tends to be for Trap or Skeet - was there a specific reason to hand-load slugs?
Hey,
I have the Lee Load-All 12 G reloader, nothing fancy by all means. I do have some used shells, and lead. I planned to pour my own slugs. I just want a supply of ammo for stopping power, home defense and some fun really. Plus, I like the idea of having all the ingredients on hand if another shortage comes about..

Ya I have learned that recipes for a shotshell is like an Italian neighborhood and pasta sauce..,lol

Primer: Any 209 shot-shell primer will work. There is not much difference between them.
Powder: It is hard to go wrong with Alliant Red Dot if you have some or can get it.
Wad: Needs to be correct for the specific hull/load. This is where the manual/online loading data comes in.
Slugs: Casting your own? Ya, you can do it. I have been reloading rifle/pistol/shotgun for 25+ years and have cast & lubed my own bullets but the VAST majority of my projectiles have been purchased. Slugs take a lot of lead. Do you have a good supply?
Do you have a friend that reloads? I highly suggest you hook up with someone with plenty of experience or take a course. I know Eddie Coyle does great reloading classes, however I don't know if he has a specific shot-shell loading class. That would be the way to go if possible.

Good luck.

Primer: Any 209 shot-shell primer will work. There is not much difference between them.
Powder: It is hard to go wrong with Alliant Red Dot if you have some or can get it.
Wad: Needs to be correct for the specific hull/load. This is where the manual/online loading data comes in.
Slugs: Casting your own? Ya, you can do it. I have been reloading rifle/pistol/shotgun for 25+ years and have cast & lubed my own bullets but the VAST majority of my projectiles have been purchased. Slugs take a lot of lead. Do you have a good supply?
Do you have a friend that reloads? I highly suggest you hook up with someone with plenty of experience or take a course. I know Eddie Coyle does great reloading classes, however I don't know if he has a specific shot-shell loading class. That would be the way to go if possible.

Good luck.
Thanks for your input, good stuff. The primers have been tough to get, I am avoiding ordering on line now due to the cost of shipping. I may have to break down. I have about 125 pounds of lead right now, I may buy the slugs and put that aside for emergency situations..
I* am trying to find someone close who reloads, but it seems to be going out of style.....
I just picked up a book on it, hopefully that will help.

Attachments

• IMG_20230314_094822.png
    IMG_20230314_094822.png
    415.4 KB · Views: 0
@Robert Peel

This is a nutty time for ammo and supplies but reloading 12 gauge has not been very cost effective. You could get good 12 gauge shells (I like Rio's) for the same price as supplies. I belonged to a club that had a semi truck of shot, powder delivered as part of a group buy for the dedicated. Reloading 20 gauge and 410 moves the needle but really give this some thought. Who knows but this may not be the best time to start but you are free to do as you wish.

Thanks

Save a step and buy already primed shotgun shells: Ballistic Products Inc 12ga 2-3/4

There is no hazmat on already primed shotgun shells and you can also get wads. You can also buy slugs from them, although that'll drive the shipping charges up.

You have their manual already, as to powder, look at what powders can be used with the Cheddite or Fiocchi shells and see what you can get at local gun store, Cabela's or Bass Pro. Cabela's has had Longshot available. What you can get for powder is likely to be what will determine your load.

Last edited:
The Boy Scouts taught me to "Be Prepared!"

When those Dicks announced that were going to stop selling ammo a few years back, I went to the local store and asked about 12ga #8 shot.

"We got some Remington Clay & Field for $3.99 a box"

"Great, I'll take them."

"How many?"

"All you have"

"We also have these Rio's for $2.99 a box"

"Great, I'll take them too"

"How many?"

"All of them"

20190121_124309.jpg

There's 3-4 layers there.

ALMOST as good a deal as when I first started buying flats of them at the same store and they would just scan the UPC code on the sealed case and charge me the single box price for the case.............

They smartened up to that mistake pretty quickly.

ALMOST as good a deal as when I first started buying flats of them at the same store and they would just scan the UPC code on the sealed case and charge me the single box price for the case.............

They smartened up to that mistake pretty quickly.
I had the reverse - I was at Sports Authority (IIRC, it's been a while) and bought a case of clay targets. They took the case price, and multiplied it by 135 targets in the case. [shocked]

Trap can get expensive, but that was a new one [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom