Red Dot Sight, Quick Disconnect (QD) or not?

I'm looking into adding a red dot sight to one of my AR's and am stumped at making a choice of having it be QD or not. For the most part it will spend 100% of it's life on the firearm and doubt it would ever come off. Also it will pretty much be a range only gun so I'm not sure if there would be a benefit of having it be QD.

Are there any upsides to having it QD mount?

Last edited:
My red dot doesn't sigh too often, is yours upset you keep missing the paper? [troll]
If you can afford it I'd say go for QD, one day on the range you might not have spare batteries or it may just outright shit the bed. Being able to take it off with out tools allows you to continue enjoying range day.

If your backup sights are visible (either cowitness or lower 1/3), then why would you need QD? If it won't turn on, just flip up your backup sights and continue on.

If your backup sights are visible (either cowitness or lower 1/3), then why would you need QD? If it won't turn on, just flip up your backup sights and continue on.

That's my thought as well and I doubt I would ever have a need to swap it for a multiple zoom scope.

I played with QD mounts for a bit as I dont like looking through my optic to use irons.
My SHTF rifle is a base A2 no optics.
The only 2 QD mounts I have owned where the larue 104 and a Midwest Industries for a aim point.
I sold the aim point and the mount with the AR it was on.
Both held zero with in hits on target accuracy (if i had to readjust for careful aiming it was never more than a minute or so in any direction. Bother hed combat zero with out issue.
I tried some other brands and was not impressed..... you know the "cheap" brands.

I splurged on an American Defense QD mount for my Trijicon MRO, but I have yet to remove it from that rifle.

My thinking was that for ~$500, I'd want to try it on several rifles. For a red dot, zero will probably be similar between multiple ARs. I'll have to give it a whirl.

Aimpoint Pro comes with the big, knurled knob, so no need for a QD mount.

I like the mount that came with my aimpoint PRO. It's not super QD, but it'll come off without tools if you need to take it off.

One thing it came in super handy for was when I was trying to figure out where exactly I wanted the thing on my rifle.

Back
Top Bottom