• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

reduced recoil slugs

i would like to know what kind of reduced recoil slugs have you had luck with?, i tryed rem corlokt hollowpoint and lightfield hybrid reduced recoil and they did not pattern well out of my gun.

The ones I am finding that I enjoy are the Federal LE 127's. I have shot close to 500 rounds of this ammunition. (in fact 5 rounds rest on my side shell holder right now on one of my shotguns)

This is 12 gauge Federal Law Enforcement Tactical 2 3/4" 1oz. Low Recoil TRUBALL Rifled Slug. Federal continues their shotshell revolution with this new and extremely effective round. The Federal Tactical TRUBALL Rifled Slug provides an amazing accuracy improvement for smoothbore shotguns. The unique TRUBALL system locks the components together, centering the slug in the barrel. This unique system promotes clean separation of components after muzzle exit to ensure greater down-range accuracy. The TRUBALL Slug is capable of 2” groups at 50-yards— this is more like what you’d expect of sabot slugs shot from a rifled barrel. Federal Tactical Slugs also feature an all brass head for improved extraction and ejection and a blue hull for easy visual identification. The TruBall Rifled Slug ushers in a new generation of rifled slug systems and provides the confidence you need in any situation, whether it be that buck of a lifetime or protecting your family.

TruBallBoxCutaway.jpg

Last edited:
Are you shooting out of a smooth bore or a rifled bore?. If smooth bore make sure your using rifled slugs and the one BillK mentioned are top notch. If you using rifled bore try using both saboted slugs and none rifled slugs.

If your using a rifled shotgun it is pretty much like a rifle in the way that you have to mess around with a lot of diffrent types of ammo to get it right. Good luck

This is the shotgun that I use for deer hunting and it's 20 gauge http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/ultraSlug.asp and although deer season is not far away I have yet to settle on the right round.

With a rifled barrel, you will have the best accuracy with sabot slugs.

That being said, I would never shoot a deer with anything that has "reduced recoil" in the name. When I shoot a deer, I want it to drop in place, and not suffer at all.

Adam has it right on, in my opinion. I have a rifled barrel, and I only shoot 3" Remington Copper Solid Sabots. I'm shooting 3" groups @ 100yds and further.
These slugs are still blowing clean through both sides of a deer as far out as I can hit them.

Ive had the reduced recoil slugs fail to cycle my 1100 in the past.
I wont use them to hunt deer.
My experience with them was years ago. Maybe they have improved since then.
I have always used the felt-wad Brenneke slugs, 2 3/4 inch, with good accuracy and reliability in my smooth bored slug barrel.

Back
Top Bottom