Registering a "home-built" AK

Okay, I searched (quickly) and didn't see any info on this topic. Apologies if my lazy butt missed it...

I'm looking into building an AK with a friend of mine who has graciously offered to help me. He's even going to get a receiver for me (his family owns a gun shop).

What is the legality, both MA and Federal, of building an AK-47 clone with a NH-purchased receiver? The gun has no bayonet lug, folding stock, or other non-MA-compliant "assault weapon" features.

Any help is appreciated. I've got a kit, and my buddy has the receiver, now all we have to do is put them together. IF it's legal for me to do so, that is...

[shocked]

Jay,
Fill out an FA10 when the gun is assembled.
Check off the "registration" box in the upper left corner.
You should be able to get an FA10 from your local PD.

Ther are several good threads on the web about biulding AK's.
Google "ak" AND "build"

Jack

Welcome to the club... I'm currently in the process of building 2 AKs: a Romanian "G" series AKM and a Polish PMKMS underfolder (unfortunately, I'll have to pin the folding stock in the fixed position [frown] ).

As far as state law is concerned, just fill out the FA-10 as previously mentioned. You'll also have to cover up the threads on the barrel by either permanently attaching a muzzle cap or muzzle brake.

As for federal law... you'll have to make sure your build is 922r compliant...

(5 US parts with no muzzle brake, 6 US parts with a muzzle brake).

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=80

On my builds I'm using a G2 trigger group (3 US parts), a US manufactured slant brake and magazine followers and floorplates. The receivers are made by
Nodak Spud. That gives me 7 US parts, so I'm easily safe legally.

Unless you leave the country to do it, I would guess that would be a US part also. The only two choices are US or foreign, and they can't very well classify it a foreign.

Ken

Since it would be the first one I made, and S/N's are required, I'd probably stamp it KM000001. You should feel free to use any number that makes you feel good.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom