Reloading for highpower

hey guys, looking to upgrade my HP reloading process from single stage to a progressive press. Leaning toward a XL650 or LocknLoad, looking for some feedback if you have one or the other, pros/cons? I also want to reload for 9mm and .45 so what press out there would do the best job with the fewest headaches? thanks.

I have a 650, and reload 9mm, 38/357, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, and 223. I have dabbled in other calibers as well. For high power rifle I use a 2 tool head system with decamping and sizing in one step, and all the rest in another (clean cases between steps).

My buddy uses a 550, and loads for 308 and 6mm as well. The conversion kits are way cheaper for the 550, but IMO the priming system on the 650 is far better (and case feeder as well).

If doing it again I would still get the 650.

And yes I took the blue pill. (Or drank the blue koolade)

Dillon CS makes me warm and fuzzy.

Hey Kyle,...
I use a 550, mostly because I found a used one a while ago and it was cheap. I'd like to try a 650 before I actually bought one.
Caliber changes are easy on the 550.

My method:

1. send off a big box of fired brass to Dick Whiting for processing
2. when it gets back, manually prime the cases with a cheap LEE handpriming tool
3. start loading them on the 550 for powder dumping and bullet seating

buy a micrometer seater to make it easier changing the seating depth between your mag-length rds and your 80's.

thanks, that is actually how i planned to do it Pat. could I use the RCBS Match micrometer seating die (the one that has the little window on the side to drop the bullet into) that I use for Single Stage reloading or is there a special one for use in progressive presses? I'm leaning a little more toward the Dillon now.. My thought process is to spend a little more money one time and have something top shelf for all time..

You can use any standard dies on the Dillon 550 and 650 (not the square deal).
I use the Redding competition seating dies, but any quality die would work fine.

I use a RCBS turret press. Once the brass is cleaned, sized and primed i use the turret for powder and bullet seating. It's not a progressive but it's half the price and significantly faster than a single stage.

Back
Top Bottom