• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rep. Keatings reply to me.

Rep. Keating is supporting infringement of our rights.....

Dear Adam,

Thank you for contacting me regarding gun control legislation. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue, and I welcome the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

With the onset of the horrific tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut as well as the countless reports of gun violence that we find all too frequently in our local newspapers, I want you to know that gun control and gun violence are issues that I care deeply about and have been at the forefront of my legislative portfolio since my time as a State Senator and as the Norfolk Country District Attorney.

I often worked with victims groups and had discussions with survivors of such senseless violence as well as family members and parents of victims that were not so lucky. I have seen in concrete terms the indelible scars left from such violence, which led me to support banning assault weapons and armor-piercing bullets, among other issues as Senate Chairman for the Public Safety Committee and now, as a U.S. Congressman. As District Attorney, I aggressively enforced our gun laws. In my last two years in Congress, which began with the horrific assassination attempt of my colleague, Gabrielle Giffords and left six people for dead, I have already done the following:

I voted against the National Right to Carry Reciprocity Act, which would force states to recognize "concealed carry" licenses from other states. Unfortunately this law was approved by a House vote of 272 to 154, but has not been taken up in the Senate. For the safety of my constituents and their families, I also opposed the repeal of a current requirement to report a purchaser of ten or more weapons to the Justice Department. Further, I have cosponsored the Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act, which would prohibit the trade and manufacture of dangerous, high-capacity ammunition like that which was used in the horrifying attacks in Newtown, Connecticut, Tuscon, Arizona and Aurora, Colorado. I have also worked to close what is known as the Fire Sale Loophole by cosponsoring legislation aimed to prevent anyone whose firearms license has been revoked or denied from transferring firearms into a personal collection or to an employee. Recently, I joined my colleagues on the newly formed congressional Gun Violence Prevention Task Force that will look at ways Congress can help reduce gun violence in the U.S.

I will continue the fight against the ready availability of automatic weapons and high-capacity ammunition clips in the interest of public safety. The horrific events that unfolded in Newtown serve as a tragic reminder of just how far we still must go in order to keep military-grade automatic weaponry out of the hands of the general public.

The regulations currently in place in Massachusetts, which include a ban on assault weapons, serve as an example of what could be accomplished on the national level. Along with our strict gun control laws, we have the lowest rate of gun-related deaths per capita in the United States. I do not believe that that is a mere coincidence, and I will continue my fight to ensure that similar laws are passed in Congress.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I have also enclosed a copy of a recent op-ed that appeared in local publications. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future regarding this or any other matter of concern. Additionally, you may find my website (www.keating.house.gov) to be a useful resource for keeping up with my work in Washington and the Ninth District of Massachusetts. I look forward to hearing from you again.

Sincerely,

William R. Keating

Member of Congress

Clearly has no idea that Semi-auto and Automatic are two entirely different things. If your going to take a strong stance, at least know all the ins and outs.

I love the stat with gun deaths. What he didn't mention is that Mass is #18 in violent crime in the nation. Way to focus on the problem - oh and hey doesn't it make more sense to restrict guns even more?

Wait, maybe we should raise taxes too.

Bill is a personal friend for >30 years, but he is also a "lock-step Dem" who will follow the Dem mantra over the cliff like a good lemming.

Bill also knows absolutely nothing about firearms.

Regrettably he's beyond my reach these days (I don't live in his district) and since he lives on the Cape and in DC, it's not like I can sit down with him to try to educate him any more (something I did many years ago).

Len,
If this hack has been your friend for over 30 years what makes you think, like all politicians' he was only telling you what he thought you wanted to hear. He is one of those slick Ma hacks who is going to collect two pensions. I wonder if your fiend would let Barry cut the same amount out of his pension as he proposed to do to veterans.

He is nothing more than a mouth piece for the dems gun grabbing Washington gang.

If you were that close of friends why don't you write him a letter as a friend telling him with your expert advise that what he is supporting wont work.

Len,
If this hack has been your friend for over 30 years what makes you think, like all politicians' he was only telling you what he thought you wanted to hear. He is one of those slick Ma hacks who is going to collect two pensions. I wonder if your fiend would let Barry cut the same amount out of his pension as he proposed to do to veterans.

He is nothing more than a mouth piece for the dems gun grabbing Washington gang.

If you were that close of friends why don't you write him a letter as a friend telling him with your expert advise that what he is supporting wont work.

I thought you had me blocked?

To answer your questions.

In the past I've met Bill in his offices, had him and his aid in my house, been to his house and even once had him as my guest (just the 2 of us) at a gun club (many, many years ago). I never wrote him letters, but picked up the phone and talked to him directly . . . I thought it more productive due to our personal relationship. Now in DC (and outside my district), I no longer have a phone number where I can reach out to him and likely any letter would be intercepted by an aid who says "not in district, straight to trash". I did insist (and got) a personal Email from Bill and now that I've seen the above letter, I WILL send him a personal Email that he is likely to eventually see (my impression is that he doesn't check that Email address very often).

However, I've known Bill long enough to know how he "operates" and that he'll do anything that leadership (including the "0") tells him to do wrt voting on a ban.

Len, in all that time he never once understood anything about firearms? This is disturbing to me. Is he just blinded and following like a sheep, I gues we get what we deserve.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

Clearly has no idea that Semi-auto and Automatic are two entirely different things. If your going to take a strong stance, at least know all the ins and outs.
This is a very key issue with the fear-mongering that's out there. I just finished a (calm and rational) discussion with a friend and her friend this morning. Both felt the issue wasn't about not being knowledgeable on the subject of the types of guns as they both knew all about it (from the news I'm sure). As they used terms like "assault weapon" and "high capacity" rifle and "non-repeating" rifle, I stopped and asked them to clarify what exactly they meant by those terms. Turns out, they honestly thought that semi-automatic "assault" weapons were along the lines of machine guns and were not the same "1 pull=1bullet" guns like revolvers (one gal mentioned that she felt revolvers were fine but semi-automatic pistols were not). After some basic explanation, there was some new understanding. By the end of the discussion, my friend told me that she learned a lot and wished more discussions like this could happen around the country.

Len, in all that time he never once understood anything about firearms? This is disturbing to me. Is he just blinded and following like a sheep, I guess we get what we deserve.

Correct on both counts.

Last time I talked about firearms and the law with him was shortly after he became DA the first time. I'm not even sure that I have seen Bill personally since that day, although I did drop by his office a few times when I had business in the Probate Court in Canton (next door to DA's office), he wasn't in each time.

Yes, he is a good sheep. Only once did he buck the system when he ran for Senate President bucking Billy Bulger and he got his head handed to him for that attempt. Ever since, he toes the party line!

When I had him at the range, I don't think we used anything but .22LR and this was probably 30 years ago. So other than on TV, he's never seen an AR15 in person.

Last edited:
In everything that I ever contacted him on as my congressman, he voted the opposite way. IMHO he is a POS.
Just another bottom feeding, scum sucking douchenozzle. Other than that, he's ok I guess. [thinking]

Threads like these make me think the 'burn it to the ground and start over' folks are right. LenS, when a close friend of 30 years with your experience can't even get through to one of these aholes, it really says a lot about how represented we are. Very sad.

Threads like these make me think the 'burn it to the ground and start over' folks are right. LenS, when a close friend of 30 years with your experience can't even get through to one of these aholes, it really says a lot about how represented we are. Very sad.

Very much like the saying (even in LE circles) that one gets a lobotomy with the appointment as police chief . . . I'm a strong believer that politicians lose all connection with reality when they become immersed in politics. There seems to be no way to break thru and rationalize with them to convert them to another point of view. Perhaps it is due to keeping their eye on status/getting reelected/getting appointments that bring more money and stature to their positions, I don't know but as I told Bill Keating many years ago "I HATE POLITICS!" I vote and make my feelings known, but I could never sacrifice my beliefs for more money/stature like they do and look myself in the mirror each morning!

In everything that I ever contacted him on as my congressman, he voted the opposite way. IMHO he is a POS.
Just another bottom feeding, scum sucking douchenozzle. Other than that, he's ok I guess. [thinking]

Yep. Complete a**h***. Hope karma knocks down his ****ing door in the middle of the night. I have no patience for such treason. Despicable.

Sent from my POS iPhone

Back
Top Bottom