• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

replacement powder storage jugs...

milktree

NES Member
Assume I know all the rules about always storing powder in its original container.

Now assume for some reason I can't, the cap broke, it got dropped, I want to split an 8lb jug with three friends... whatever...

What kind of plastic jug should/can I use?

All the containers I have say HDPE and the little "2" recycle type on the bottom, can I safely use any HDPE jar that has an air-tight lid?

I'm asking because powder doesn't agree with some plastics and will discolor or melt them with too much exposure, and it would be bad for that to happen to the storage bin.

Something airtight and opaque. UV light degrades powder. Metal is your best bet. Where are you at? I can send you some empty powder bottles.

I generally use empty powder canisters. I have plenty of the Alliant and Hodgdon type plastic one-pound canisters, but they're hardly worth driving down to SE CT for. Simply clean and relabel for your use.

I generally use empty powder canisters. I have plenty of the Alliant and Hodgdon type plastic one-pound canisters, but they're hardly worth driving down to SE CT for. Simply clean and relabel for your use.

That's what I'd do, but I moved recently and purged a bunch of stuff I didn't think I'd need. (That'll teach me!)

I am familiar with a case where someone was convicted for explosive possession because he had powder and drywall nails in non-original containers. He alleged the dry wall nails were for making range props (and yes, we use a lot of them when building stages for matches).

I have no idea if he was really into bombs, or just repackaged his own powder, but it presents a strong case for sticking to the original containers (or at least original powder containers).

I use old powder containers. Coffee doesn't come in cans anymore but the plastic containers are usually a solid color and have snap on lids.

Back
Top Bottom