Res NH Renewal - 6 Days

MaverickNH

NES Member
Dropped by the Bedford (NH) station last Friday and filled out the renewal form, picked up my license yesterday (Thursday). Paid $10 cash at the window on pick-up - no prints, pictures, etc. Good for 5yr.

I'm not gloating here - I pay $100 annually for a MA Non-Res LTC-A(ALP) and wait 2-3mo after going through the hassel of fingerprint, photo, copies of licenses, US Postal Money Order (in advance).

I feel so much safer working in So Boston than at home in NH because of it - NOT. I have my own ShotSpotter here at work - it's my window on the 4th floor facing Dorchester.

Are there any laws proposed that will make a Non-Res LTC-A(ALP) more difficult to obtain? I'm a GOAL member and will check there, but thought I'd ask here as well.

Dropped by the Bedford (NH) station last Friday and filled out the renewal form, picked up my license yesterday (Thursday). Paid $10 cash at the window on pick-up - no prints, pictures, etc. Good for 5yr.

I'm not gloating here - I pay $100 annually for a MA Non-Res LTC-A(ALP) and wait 2-3mo after going through the hassel of fingerprint, photo, copies of licenses, US Postal Money Order (in advance).

I feel so much safer working in So Boston than at home in NH because of it - NOT. I have my own ShotSpotter here at work - it's my window on the 4th floor facing Dorchester.

Are there any laws proposed that will make a Non-Res LTC-A(ALP) more difficult to obtain? I'm a GOAL member and will check there, but thought I'd ask here as well.
You had to go pick it up? The Bedford Police didn't deliver it to you, as required by the statute?
159:6 License to Carry: "The original shall be delivered to the licensee..."
Here in Amherst, they deliver it to your door.

BTW, it's a great deal, but it's only good for 4 years, not 5.
159:6 License to Carry: "...for not less than 4 years from the date of issue..."

Well...

Mine is backdated as effective 10/5/07 (a week before I dropped the application off) and expires 5/31/12. So not quite 5yr, but not less than 4yr, as quoted.

Well...

Mine is backdated as effective 10/5/07 (a week before I dropped the application off) and expires 5/31/12. So not quite 5yr, but not less than 4yr, as quoted.
Yup. Because the renewal must take place in "the month of the fourth anniversary of the license holder's date of birth following the date of issuance" (emphasis added), if you renew "off calendar," as it were (usually because someone lets their license lapse), you can get a bunch of "free months" tacked onto the "fourth anniversary." Once you're back to renewing in your birth month (which I'm guessing is May), it works back to 4 years and a little change.

Back to my first question: they didn't deliver?

Nope - they have always just said give a call or stop by in about a week to see if it's ready and pick it up.

By "deliver", are you saying they sent it in the mail to you? Oddly, they only check your ID and take payment in Bedford when you pick your license up, so that would have to change for a mail delivery.

Same Chief (Bailey) here for decades, so I'd guess it's been pretty much the same for a good while. A few years back a homeowner shot an intruder coming through their bedroom wondow in the middle of the night - quote from Bailey was something like "I'd have done the same". Good to know where he stands on firearms.

Nope - they have always just said give a call or stop by in about a week to see if it's ready and pick it up.

By "deliver", are you saying they sent it in the mail to you? Oddly, they only check your ID and take payment in Bedford when you pick your license up, so that would have to change for a mail delivery.

Same Chief (Bailey) here for decades, so I'd guess it's been pretty much the same for a good while. A few years back a homeowner shot an intruder coming through their bedroom wondow in the middle of the night - quote from Bailey was something like "I'd have done the same". Good to know where he stands on firearms.
No, by deliver, I mean they came to my front door each time and said, "Good morning. Here's your pistol license."

There is no statute requiring that your license be delivered to you in NH. I would be very interested in why they would do that, where you live.

Also, the license can be issued for NO LESS THAN 4 years, but it CAN be issued for any amount of time beyond that, including permanently.

Consult RSA 159:6 License to Carry, here: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xii/159/159-mrg.htm
As quoted above, the statute clearly says
The original shall be delivered to the licensee and the duplicate shall be preserved by the people issuing the same for 4 years.
It doesn't say "issued to" or "available to" or "can be picked up by" or any of the other wording available to the legislature when they wrote the statute. My guess is the APD delivers it to licensee's because that's the black-and-white wording of the statute.

Very interesting interpretation of a clearly worded statute from GO-NH, if that's the ELogan I presume you are.

Back
Top Bottom