• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Responses from MA Representatives and Senators

My latest effort...

I cropped down to the text/picture and shrunk it down a bit, it looks better on paper...

View attachment 51700

The text:

Well done! That is awesome! Very professional, I like the references (references-imagine that!) and I especially like the reframing of what Mr. Obama said in his address to support our cause! Absolutely excellent.

In other news, I just received a call back from Rep. Fattman's office and he is 100% on board.

If you haven't called already call Speaker Deleo's office. Being speaker is a very important position and they take all calls regardless of whether or not you live in his district. Legislative aide from his office told me that they have been getting calls on this all day today (1/22/13). Keep it up, it makes a difference. Speaker Deleo's phone number 617-722-2500

Last edited:
I've exchanged a number of emails and had a phone call with my rep (Jason Lewis/D) and his legislative aide. They are aware of both the Patrick and Linsky proposals and received about 10 emails over the weekend. Some were characterized as patently unreasonable but others were characterized as more informed/reasonable and those got their attention. Apparently this is a high volume of correspondence on this issue that they have not previously seen. I asked and didn't get a clean answer but I assume the majority of writers opposed the proposed legislation.

However, neither the legislative aide nor Lewis have expertise on the issue and no emotional attachment, since neither are gun owners. They want to understand how the proposed legislation will affect individuals, what the current laws and restrictions are, and the like. Therefore, they are setting up a local "roundtable discussion" to be held between now and early February to which the public will be invited. For what it's worth, I was assured that no bill can pass without a public hearing (I don't know if this is true or not).

No telling what if anything will come of it, but so far they seem interested in hearing what we have to say.

So, if Lewis is your rep, call and write more! My sense is that it would be helpful to highlight the complex laws, restrictions and regulations already in place and the practical impact these laws will have on you, rather than focusing on relevant but more abstract concepts.

My latest effort... Sent to my reps and CC'd Linksy. He should be ashamed of himself and hopefully some of his co-horts will help him out on that front.

I cropped down to the text/picture and shrunk it down a bit, it looks better on paper...

View attachment 51700

The text:

Excellent.

- - - Updated - - -

If you haven't called already call Speaker Deleo's office. Being speaks is a very important position and they take all calls regardless of whether or not you live in his district. Legislative aide from his office told me that they have been getting calls on this all day today (1/22/13). Keep it up, it makes a difference. Speaker Deleo's phone number 617-722-2500

I called and I totally agree.

I know Randy Hunt, he's definitely opposed, as opposed to leaning opposed. He believes in the meaning as written in the Federalist Papers.

Someone got back to me in behalf of Deval Patrick and it sounds like he's going to push for what he wants even if 26 million people call him.

Last edited:
This is my 2A Canned email response from Therese Murray President of the MA Senate:

Dear Friends:

Thank you for your email. As your representative in the Massachusetts Senate, I encourage you to contact me on issues that are of importance to you and the communities of the Plymouth and Barnstable Senate District.

I am pleased to hear your thoughts on so many issues and challenges facing the Commonwealth and, in particular, the people of the South Shore and Cape Cod. Due to the large volume of emails received every day, I may have a staff member contact you regarding your inquiry.

In order for me or my staff to respond to your concern, please be sure to include your name, address and telephone number. Should you need my immediate assistance, please do not hesitate to contact my Boston office at 617.722.1500.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. I look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Sincerely yours,

THERESE MURRAY

President of the Senate

Thanks very much for voicing your concerns on the proposed gun legislation. It's very beneficial to me to hear from as many people as I can before voting. I stand by the 2nd amendment and will keep all of your concerns in mind when this legislation is heard in the Senate.

Thanks for your advocacy.

Best,
Barry Finegold

contacted Representative David B. Sullivan yesterday recieved generic response said he is looking into the matter.Senator Michael J. Rodrigues hasn't got back to me yet but will keep trying

Dear Richard,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding gun control legislation. I plan on taking a close look at the legislation proposed before I vote on this issue. I look forward to a thoughtful debate about public safety as it pertains to firearms as we review the bill. I have received many calls and emails from gun owners and understand the concerns of responsible, licensed individuals. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

Respectfully,

Jennifer L. Flanagan
State Senator
Worcester & Middlesex District

I just got a email back from Deval after my online contact email I sent him on Saturday.

My Contact email

I was at the Boston Gun Control Rally at the statehouse on 1/19/2013, and I didn't see you there Deval. Yours and Linsky's gun control proposals are grandstanding, unconstitutional, dangerous, and shameful. Making lawful citizens felons via your Draconian proposals is beyond common sense and logic. You will Fail to bring anything Good for this State by doing this...and possibly much worse then you realize now. Using the states AR-15's to confiscate possibly and disarm law abiding citizens in the future, is fascist provocation, where is the peaceful diversity and respect in that? Shameful! The Second Amendment "Shall Not Be Infringed" Where is the grey area? Goggle on YouTube Innocents Betrayed" Watch it.

Deval's Office Reply

January 22, 2013

Dear xxxxxx:

On behalf of Governor Deval L. Patrick, thank you for your recent correspondence regarding firearm safety and legislation.

Governor Patrick believes that successfully deterring gun violence requires a multi-faceted approach and should include policies focused on guns and at-risk individuals. That is why the Governor has and will continue to push for legislation that includes a formal collaboration between Massachusetts and the National Mental Health Registry, a ban on assault weapons and a limit on the amount of guns one person can buy in a given month.

Once again, thank you for your input on this important issue. Please feel free to contact our office again in the future with any additional questions or concerns. Your comments are always welcome in this administration.

Sincerely,

Governor Patrick's Constituent Services Office

617-725-4005

Contact the Governor's Office

I had the exact same response from his office.

Nice list. I suggest adding a column to indicate which ones ran unopposed in the last election, so we can pick them off with a pro-gun candidate. Heck, I'll run against one if they are in my district.

Here is the response that Senator Brian Joyce sent me. It seems like he is leaning towards favoring Linsky and/or Patrick's bill. Interesting that he told me to call Linsky's office even though Linsky couldn't give a crap about gun owners.

Dear Adam,

Thank you for your email about Representative Linsky’s proposed gun control bill. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this important issue.

As you may know, Representative Linsky would like to develop a comprehensive bill that will improve the gun laws in Massachusetts. Throughout the legislative process, Representative Linsky has stated he will remain open to hearing all perspectives. You may wish to contact his office at 617-722-2575 directly to share your concerns.

Thank you again for your thoughtful email. Please be assured when any proposed legislation related to guns comes before me this session, I will keep the views shared by you and others in mind. Feel free to contact me should you have any additional concerns, or if I can provide further assistance.

Best,

Brian

State Senator Gale Candaras....Not on the list....Rep Hampden county

She is "Leaning Opposed"....Her aide said that she feels the current Mass laws are strict wnough and that we need to focus on mental health more than anything....she is however in favor of background checks

State Senator Gale Candaras....Not on the list....Rep Hampden county

She is "Leaning Opposed"....Her aide said that she feels the current Mass laws are strict wnough and that we need to focus on mental health more than anything....she is however in favor of background checks

She is in the list and updated accordingly. Thanks for the report.

Below is what I just got back from my state Senator. I did take out my last name but left her phone number in in case anyone needs it.

James

"January 23, 2013

Dear Mr. X,

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding gun control measures. I appreciate you contacting my office regarding this particular matter and sharing your concerns with me.

In light of the tragedy in Newtown, we all share a common goal of ensuring that something like this never happens again. As my colleagues and I begin preparing legislation for the upcoming session, we will be taking a close look at gun control and mental health issues in order to determine the steps we must take to prevent further tragedies. Massachusetts has some of the strictest laws relating to guns in the nation, and the majority of our gun owners carefully follow the law. Whatever legislation comes forward this session needs to make sure we do not punish our law-abiding gun owners.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. Should you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact my office at (617) 722-1630.

Sincerely,

Eileen M. Donoghue
State Senator
First Middlesex District"

Would you consider that "Leaning Opposed" ?
I am opposed to leaning. [wink]

I have heard a lot of "sympathy" for foisting thing off as a "mental health issue," in my conversations with my reps so far, which is good and bad. It is certainly closer to the truth that this is a "human" and "individual" issue and not related to the entire class of law abiding firearms owners or our gardening tools, but there is a risk (profound) overreaction on their part.

They will likely cast a very wide net over mental health and invade our privacy, get between us and our healthcare providers and create a "chilling effect" on current or prospective gun owners seeking mental healthcare of any form, WHICH IS THE LAST THING WE WANT.

This is just a gentle prod to be careful not to scapegoat and breath easy when they "don't come for you."

Thank you for contacting me via email. My office will process your communication as quickly as possible. If this is a legislative matter, please be assured that your views will be brought to my attention, and I will keep them in mind as the issue is considered by Congress. If this is a request for assistance on a personal matter, it will be forwarded to my Medford office for immediate consideration. If time is of the essence, you may wish to contact them directly at 781-396-2900.

Sincerely,

Ed Markey
Member of Congress

Just got a supportive reply from my rep Tom Calter--it's short and sweet:

Joe, We are in complete agreement.. The problem is not with those who follow the law. Stay in touch with me on this issue. Tom

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

Here's what I got from Rep. Dennis Rosa (Leominster).

" Thank you for taking the time to write to me about the Governor’s proposed legislation. Please know that I will not support the Governor’s bill, and that once I review GOAL’s legislation, I will be signing on to some of them.

Thank you again for writing; it is always a pleasure to hear from my constituents. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Very truly yours,

Rep. Dennis A. Rosa"

Back
Top Bottom