Reticle Style

dreppucci007

NES Member
Ok...I still haven't made up my mind what reticle style I am going to get on the soon to be scope for my Remmy LTR. I plan on a Leupold high power/long range scope.

Now...

Does anyone have experience with the new Varmint Hunter Reticle?

Reticle_Varmint_Hunters.gif

I would go with a nice VX-III. I like the idea of the kinda "fine" post and duplex along with the range increment and windage markers.

On the other hand, I would consider the Mark-4 in Mil Dot. I've read about the Mil Dot reticle, and I believe it is standard for military IIRC. It seems like it could be easy to do the calculations and figure it out once gotten the hang of, but could be a bit difficult at first. I don't like the idea that it appears the target will be slightly blocked by the size of the reticle markers. Any words of advice or experience on this one?

Reticle_Mil_Dot.gif

I would go with the Mildot, It is very useful for range estimation, hold overs and windage. You can get a mildot master which is a plastic sliding scale that makes calculations very fast

I even uses mine when shooting .22lr 2mils up at 50yard, 1 at 75, crosshairs at 100. It fun and alot faster when chasing golf balls down the range

dreppucci007 said:
On the other hand, I would consider the Mark-4 in Mil Dot. I've read about the Mil Dot reticle, and I believe it is standard for military IIRC. It seems like it could be easy to do the calculations and figure it out once gotten the hang of, but could be a bit difficult at first. I don't like the idea that it appears the target will be slightly blocked by the size of the reticle markers. Any words of advice or experience on this one?

Reticle_Mil_Dot.gif

The Mil Dot Master that someone else mentioned comes with a training book that is the best explanation of how to use the Mil Dot system that I have seen. If you're not sure about whether you want it or not, I would buy that first and work my way throught it. If you DO end up going for the Mil Dot scope, the Mil Dot Master is an accesory you will want to have, anyway.

I think Dillon Precision sells it, and so does Brownells.

Also, you can get it, along with other neat sniper stuff, from U.S. Tactical Supply:

http://www.ustacticalsupply.com/

Regards
John

I'd say it should depend on what you plan on shooting. Where I shoot, 100 yards is max distance. So for a challenge when it comes to shooting something flat and accurate like my Ruger 204, I choose targets like 204 shell casings, aspirins, etc. and sometimes the mil dot reticle can obscure the target. I'm only using a fixed 10 power scope, but a few people I talked to said anything with higher magnification and the dot would cover such small targets.
I dunno, i'm undecided on if I made the right scope choice, but I can shoot with it well. I think if I had to get another, i'd go with target crosshairs, especially if I was shooting at a fixed distance.

Dscf0011.jpg

9d40a0c7.jpg

That dime is hardly visible at 100 yards with the mil dot reticle on my scope.

Back
Top Bottom