Returning Home, Looking for range/advice.

Hello everyone, first post so I'll try not to write a novel.

I'm coming back to Marlborough, MA after three years in the Army (Infantry) so I'm out of touch with the local community. I'm looking for a good range/club to get involved with. I have a pistol and two shotguns, one's a semi auto (don't know if that's an issue these days). I kind of want to get some practical shooting in, move and shoot and the like; though, I strongly doubt there is anything like that around.

I've been wondering about three gun and other competitions and shooting teams as well.

Anyway, any info would be STRONGLY appreciated, thanks much.

#1: Move to NH where you can enjoy the freedoms you were trained to fight for.

If #1 is not an option, please read on.

Welcome home, Hurley431.

There are a LOT of good clubs around the Marlborough area; it just depends on what type of shooting you like to do. Harvard Sportsman's Club has a lot of action pits and hosts quite a few "run & gun" type shoots - steel challenge, cowboy action shooting, IDPA, IPSC. They have only one shotgun range, though, and I'm not sure if they do a lot of skeet/trap sort of stuff. Worcester Pistol & Rifle also has a very active IDPA group.

Riverside in Hudson has a lot of skeet & trap but they're light on the action shoots and I'm not even sure you're allowed to shoot on the draw.

Hopefully someone will be along to talk about Hopkinton, Southboro, Marlborough and the other area clubs as I'm not familiar with them.

I will make this offer, though - If you want to come shooting up at Harvard, which is my club, I'd be happy to have you as my guest. Just shoot me a message or email when you get settled back in town and ready to go.

Harvard and be done with it - not a better club around in my opinion :)
Thanks for your service

My club, Hamilton Rod and Gun in Sturbridge is too far for you I'm guessing but you're welcome anytime. We do some casual bowling pin matches with 1 or two guns.
Welcome home and thanks for your service.

NRA Instructor
Glock Armorer

Sniper, when are your club's pin shoots?

And Jar & DPC - I'm trying to be unbiased here. He's got a couple of shotguns so I'm assuming he likes to actually use them! [laugh]

Depends what he likes to use them for. We have a shotgun side stage at our IDPA match at Harvard on Saturday, and I believe USPSA is planning a shotgun match in the fall. The traditional shotgun sports is the one thing that Harvard is weak in though. Not sure what clubs in the area are best bets for those. Westford (my other club) has 2 trap fields and a sporting clays course. As you said, Riverside has skeet and trap.

And Jar & DPC - I'm trying to be unbiased here. He's got a couple of shotguns so I'm assuming he likes to actually use them! [laugh]

Haha so true I jump the gun now that I am active at Harvard, I can't see any club beating the facilities we have.
Not for nothing though Harvard has a nice little shotgun range :)

Thanks for the responses guys. I still have sometime before I return; but, I think I'm going to look into the Harvard club and the Worcester Pistol and Rifle. My shotguns are little less geared towards skeet, combat sights and the like; and, those active competitions seem like something my speed.
By the way, this is definitely one of the most helpful forums. Mass has some quirky laws and the information here is helping me navigate it, so thanks again.

Harvard Sportsmen's is having an IDPA shoot on Saturday. Come on out and shoot. Or at least stop by and look around.

I will also offer you the time to meet at Harvard if you need any assistance in checking out the club when your back.

Hopkinton Sportsmen's Association is just down the road from you. IPSC practice on Wednesdays nights,plus the 50 position rifle range with high power matches, 4 postion 200yard range; 24/7 card key access indoor range, plus skeet rap, sporting clays, fishing, and Archery.

www.hsasports.com

Able to show you around pretty much anytime.

Bob

From your questions, it sounds like Hopkinton may suit you and be a lot closer than Harvard. I'm a member at Harvard and have never been to Hopkinton. I'd also be happy to show you around Harvard. I shoot every Saturday and Sunday morning.

Harvard Sportsmens a bit to the north of you; Hopkinton Sports (www.hsasport.com) a bit to the south. Hopkinton has a slight edge in the indoor range department; Harvard has more outdoor ranges available, both are great clubs. I am a member at both.

Both clubs offer 24 hour access to members and a self-serve indoor and outdoor ranges.

Back
Top Bottom