Revolver popularity increase

In the last 6 months, maybe longer, I've noticed an increase in the popularity of revolvers. Is this because we're sick of semi-autos? I remember when PDs switched to semi-autos, you couldn't give away NIB .38 Spls, now they are going like hotcakes.

I think it has to do with the increase in CCW permits, and people realizing that carrying SOMETHING is better than nothing. The smaller wheel guns fill a niche for light weight, comfortable and easily concealed weapons that still pack a decent punch.

I've been looking for one for everyday carry down here in FL where the climate doesn't allow for concealment garments that can easily hide full size pistols like the Northeast often does.

I am of the last generation of people who had revolvers as their first gun. Most people I know who are my age started off with a model 36 as their first gun. For us there will always be the nostalgia factor.

There is also something to be said for the reliability of (most) revolvers. They are the original "point and click" interface.

By the early 90's everyone was on the semi bandwagon, and with good reason. You could get 18 rounds into a Glock 17 and they were (for the most part) reliable.

But for those of us of a certain age, we'll always have a soft spot for revolvers, and we'll keep buying them trying to hold onto our youth

I think it has to do with the increase in CCW permits, and people realizing that carrying SOMETHING is better than nothing. The smaller wheel guns fill a niche for light weight, comfortable and easily concealed weapons that still pack a decent punch.

I've been looking for one for everyday carry down here in FL where the climate doesn't allow for concealment garments that can easily hide full size pistols like the Northeast often does.

I actually carried a M&P 9c with cargo shorts pretty easily. Also, you are in luck that there is a holster maker up in Jax so if you really want a custom holster shoot me a PM so I can give you the contact info.

I know for myself, the reliability of the revolver comes to mind--not that one would intentionally keep it dirty, but it is far less affected by crud. One does not have to shoot 200 rounds to verify that it is a dependable gun; and trips to the range do not oblige the shooter to empty out a magazine each time--there's a sizable cost difference between a 17 round mag and a 5-6 round cylinder. Lastly, policing ones brass gets real easy.

In short, I see it as a great gun to shoot a little. If I were to shoot a lot, I'd probably be more interested in a semi, as they tend to be easier to repair, and are quicker to reload.

I was at State Line earlier today looking for a carry piece and shotguns for HD. I went right for the Walther PPS, and really liked its look, feel, and size. I'm still just looking, so as I kept browsing around the counter one of the guys suggested I look at the smaller revolvers. I've only held larger models as part of my training class, and they never really appealed to me. The small size and weight of those I held are actually pretty cool, a new avenue (to me) to explore. Damn that finite budget!

Yep, darn that limited budget... I'm trying to feed my hobbies on $20/week!

I need to make more inroads with the locals and try shooting a few of their guns first, rather than make expensive mistakes. This winter I might try a couple of rentals at MFL, when it's too cold outside, and I've saved up for a while.

I was looking for a 22 handgun. I automatically was thinking of a semi. Maybe get a Ruger MKIII or S&W 22A or even a S&W 41. I thought about it and realized that a nice S&W 617, 10 shot revolver would fill my needs easily. Not only is it accurate it's built like a tank and will shoot any ammo without being bothered with FTF and FTE's. It shoots minimags out to 100 yards pretty nice too.

Semi-autos become "necessary" for all cops after the Miami Vice tv show. Revolvers were the perfect weapon before that stupid show and they still are today.
They are easy to train with, easy to maintain and virtually idiot proof.
Long live the six gun!

I am going the other way as age and acquire more range time. I believe all my current handgun lust falls into the revolver category.

I want a model 625 , I want a model of 1917 , I want the whole damn set of model 29's ... & a python , an Anaconda , A Redhawk ... a SSA , a .... another cool revolver would be cool.

Semi-autos become "necessary" for all cops after the Miami Vice tv show. Revolvers were the perfect weapon before that stupid show and they still are today.
They are easy to train with, easy to maintain and virtually idiot proof.

More like after the Great Miami Shoot-Out, and the choice of wonder-nines as the Weapon Of Choice by the armed criminal class.

As far as being "easy to train with, easy to maintain and virtually idiot proof," is that not the great claim to fame of Teutonic Tupperware? [wink]

I like pretty much all types of guns, but there is just something special about a revolver. Some of the older ones approach works of art in fit and finish. There's a lot to be said for the reliability of an old fashioned tool. [grin]

As far as being "easy to train with, easy to maintain and virtually idiot proof," is that not the great claim to fame of Teutonic Tupperware? [wink]

Ahh... Glocks and Wheel guns.. both awesome. I love them both for the simplicity of design... leaving safeties to me.

who was it that posted a picture of a 100+ year old colt revolver recently? I drooled over that masterpiece for at least 20 minutes.

I feel the same way about a nice 1911 too, but I will never look at a Glock as anything other than a tool.

you mean this one? [smile]

web%20coltnp3.jpg

web%20coltnp8.jpg

These also qualify as works of art:

29and19%20800x689.jpg

pre36left%20800x551.jpg

I'll use any excuse to show them off. [smile][smile]

Last edited:
More like after the Great Miami Shoot-Out, and the choice of wonder-nines as the Weapon Of Choice by the armed criminal class.

Might have something to do with Beretta being chosen by the military also, ya think?

I wear long sleeves and long pants year round, so to me, I am always able to hide the largest gun I wish to [smile]

Some of it is nostalgia. I also think some of it is because the mechanism of the cylinder is external and visual. Even though the sideplate hides most of the real techncial workings of it, guys like mechanical things and the wheelgun is just the perfect example of a precision mechanical device. Being able to choose DA or SA on most models is attractive as well. My carry gun went from a G19 to a S&W 60 snubnose. I really dig the S&W's and I am getting ready to restore this one.

002-14.jpg

Some of it is nostalgia. I also think some of it is because the mechanism of the cylinder is external and visual. Even though the sideplate hides most of the real techncial workings of it, guys like mechanical things and the wheelgun is just the perfect example of a precision mechanical device. Being able to choose DA or SA on most models is attractive as well. My carry gun went from a G19 to a S&W 60 snubnose. I really dig the S&W's and I am getting ready to restore this one.

002-14.jpg

+1 to you, I'm in the middle of a restoration of my own.

While I love my SVI's, there's something about the way a good revolver feels as the trigger comes back and the cylinder rotates. Especially that satisfying "thunk" as it latches into battery.

I prefer Model 27 or 28. Superb finish and the mass of an N-frame, instead of the skinny little K-frame.

I know when I pitch police trade-ins to my customers, they're ALWAYS asking for Model 66's... and mostly in four inch barrels, too. Same with new Model 686s - for some reason people just want .357 revolvers. Cheap, of course. [rolleyes]

Can't understand why...

Rossatrange.jpg

I've been regreting the sale of my model 10-5 lately.

Fool. [slap]

They never listen...

Back
Top Bottom