Rock Island 1911A1

JonJ

NES Member
Anyone have one? I've read good and bad about them. I've been toying with the idea of getting a 1911 and don't want to spend a ton of $$$. Just want a fun shooter. I found the RIA for $325 new/lifetime warranty. Also saw the Auto Ordnance for about $480. Both of these pistols are the parked version.

No personal experience, but the person who does the FID/LTC approvals in my town told me he tried the Rock at the range, and he recommended it to me as a great shooting starter 1911.

Adam

I had a buddy that moved out of MA. But he had about three Rock Island 1911s. I think that he picked them up at the Marlboro show for like 250 or some stupid price like that.

He loved them. He also had a Les Baer and a Wilson. He did say that he ordered several parts from Wilson for his Rock Island, but he loved them.

I shot them and I liked them...where I was thinking about getting one just because they were so cheap.

Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like I may be getting one if I can sneak away for a few hours tomorrow.

If it's legal to build one from an Essex Frame, down in Mass, that's what I recommend doing. My 1911A1 is one I built that way. Ross's niece sure did like it.

Nickle said:
If it's legal to build one from an Essex Frame, down in Mass, that's what I recommend doing. My 1911A1 is one I built that way. Ross's niece sure did like it.

Yes, perfectly legal although few FFLs here will order a frame that isn't on the "List". Legally, MGLs do NOT recognize frames as a firearm . . . our definition is something that is complete and ready to shoot.

Reminder for new folks (or some of the "OLD" members with short memories :) ): Do NOT list dealers who will order frames here. If the AG finds out who they are (and there are folks who scan forums for such info), his gestapo will terrorize them into refusing to do this legal deed.

LenS said:
Nickle said:

Yes, perfectly legal although few FFLs here will order a frame that isn't on the "List". Legally, MGLs do NOT recognize frames as a firearm . . . our definition is something that is complete and ready to shoot.

Reminder for new folks (or some of the "OLD" members with short memories :) ): Do NOT list dealers who will order frames here. If the AG finds out who they are (and there are folks who scan forums for such info), his gestapo will terrorize them into refusing to do this legal deed.

Hmmmm I always thought the frame thing was either rumor or up in the air. That's good news to hear.

JonJ said:
Hmmmm I always thought the frame thing was either rumor or up in the air. That's good news to hear.

You've got Email! :)

No, Chief Ron Glidden told me about this a number of years ago.

Back
Top Bottom