Ruger customer service

I was cleaning my Security Six this morning and bumped the pawl in the trigger group as I was setting it down. Pawl falls off, detent and spring evaporate. I looked for 2 hours to try to find the damn thing, flashlight, magnet, 5 and 9 year old boys searching, no luck. Placed a call to Sturm, Ruger and Co. in New Hampshire. Nice lady answers the phone. I describe my stupidity. She laughs at me. Then she tells me that she's sending me a new spring and detent. I say "how much?"
She says "Free of charge, you've obviously had enough frustration for today."

I think I like these folks. It's only $3.00 worth of parts, if that, but it's this kind of service that makes me stick with particular brands.[smile]

Good to know.

I had the exact same treatment from the people over at North American Arms when I needed a part.

I had a simmilar thing happen to me with the recoil spring collet thing on my P95. I was watching tv and cleaning my guns, and it shot clear accross the living room and took up residence in the carpet somewhere. They had 2 in the mail to me before I could say thank you.

I also had a good experience with Ruger. I had a broken fireing pin rebound spring in a KMK678GC. I called Ruger to buy a replacement. They wouldn't sell me one. They sent me two for free.

Early AC-556s had the tendency to loosen the flash suppressor during rapid firing. I considered re-installing it with Loc-Tite, but decided to check with Ruger first. I was told that Ruger now installed a split-ring washer between the barrel shoulder and the suppressor, and this was the better way to keep the latter from backing off. As described, the part in question was a garden variety split ring washer, except that it was bored specifically for the OD of the barrel just in front of that shoulder.

"Terrific," I said, can you send me one?

"No," the lady said; "we do not ship any parts for AC-556s."

"Well," I said, "you're not that far away; can I drive up and buy one?"

"No," she said, "we also don't sell any parts for the AC-556."

(Remember: all we are talking about is a washer.)

That left me with my little bottle of Loc-Tite and a not-so-fond impression of Ruger customer service.

My 1st gun was a Ruger 10/22 that I still have. I bought it back in 1971 and have put many thousands of rounds through it. A couple of years ago I called Ruger asking about a 'tune-up' on it and the nice lady said sure, no problem, just ship it to us. I asked how much and she said no charge.....even for return shipping! When I got it back they had replaced just about all the internal parts and test fired it.

I called again to thank them and spoke with the same lady and said I also have a Mini-14. Send on up to us, she replied we'll take care of that one too.

Ruger, #1 in customer service.

Early AC-556s had the tendency to loosen the flash suppressor during rapid firing. I considered re-installing it with Loc-Tite, but decided to check with Ruger first. I was told that Ruger now installed a split-ring washer between the barrel shoulder and the suppressor, and this was the better way to keep the latter from backing off. As described, the part in question was a garden variety split ring washer, except that it was bored specifically for the OD of the barrel just in front of that shoulder.

"Terrific," I said, can you send me one?

"No," the lady said; "we do not ship any parts for AC-556s."

"Well," I said, "you're not that far away; can I drive up and buy one?"

"No," she said, "we also don't sell any parts for the AC-556."

(Remember: all we are talking about is a washer.)

That left me with my little bottle of Loc-Tite and a not-so-fond impression of Ruger customer service.

That's because Ruger's motto is "Arms Maker For Responsible Citizens" and responsible citizens, in their opinion, don't need more than 5 rounds in a rifle nor automatic operation.

I think I like these folks. It's only $3.00 worth of parts, if that, but it's this kind of service that makes me stick with particular brands.[smile]

I was doing a trigger "polish" on my Ruger Redhawk and launched a tiny spring from the guts of the gun. Ruger had the free replacement $1 part to me in 3 days. And the polishing worked! The Redhawk now has a trigger pull and release like a Smith.

Last edited:
I have had more Ruger rifles and pistols than I can count and if I had problem customer service has always been excellent.Only once did I pay for a repair on a pistol. I purchased a used MK II Hunter model that would fail to feed constantly called Ruger was told "send back the bolt we'll rebuild it" cost was under $20. Second worse problem I purchased one of the first Redhawks in 45 Colt I usually change the rear sight with a Millet with little fuss but I just was getting any where with it. After a trip to a gunsmith found out that the hole for the adjustment screw was drilled off center. Sent the Redhawk back with an explanation on why it was being returned. Month later get a call from Ruger they got the sight back on but the thing wouldn't shoot well they put a new barrel on it same problem so they ended up sending me a BRAND new Redhawk so I got no squawk with Ruger CS

yeah they are great people.

When I got my Ruger AC-556 back in the summer I called them and asked them if I could buy any old posters, pamphlets or flyers on this classic Machine Gun.
The lady goes, buy?? no.... however I will send you some stuff.

3 days later I get a box with TONS of posters, pamphlets and books in the mail..

OUTSTANDING cutomer service..[smile]

FWIW Ruger CS has treatd me as family too, I've certainly given them my business I feel they deserve. I've sent back a few(3 IIRC) HG's only to have them back almost totally rebuilt FREE! MkII,KP85.p95, Now I have whittled my firearms collection down and I have rugers/S&W/armalite's only! The rest are FS!

Back
Top Bottom