Ruger Mark III (first gun)...

Quick question regarding a first handgun purchase. I'm still going for the basic pistol course, but after using a colleagues I've decided to look at getting a Ruger Mark III .22LR. There are a couple of models available. The Mark III Bull Barrel and the Mark III Hunter. There is about a $100 dollar difference (the Hunter being the more espensive). Is there any need to pay extra for the 1.5" longer barrel and fiber optic sites for a first handgun? I was also thinking of the Beretta, but decided to buy American. Thanks....Matt

There is no need to pay the extra 100 dollars. For gallery style paper punching the black on black sights of the regular models are actually better. You are mostly paying for the grips and the barrel fluting. The bull barrel model has a slightly longer sight radius and the grips are nice but I think it is too heavy and doesn't balance well for me.

Great choice for a first gun. When you go to do disassembly be sure to follow the manual closely and come here if you have problems. It's not as complicated as many make it out to be once you understand what is going on inside.

I recently got the MKIII Hunter edition. I love it and have had zero problems through maybe 3K rounds or more. After the first 500 rounds, i havent had a single malfunction so i'd say mine is broken in now.
Shortly after getting mine, I realized i wanted better grips, optics, and wanted to do something to the trigger.

20$ for a VQ sear brings the trigger from a sloppy 5# to a crisp 2 pounds
VQ grips are suhweet and feel much better than anything i could find or make.

Heres mine now:
5.jpg

Thanks....So what are the differences between the Mark III standard, and the 22/45 Mark III? The articles I've read says that the standard Mark III is laid out like a Luger, whereas the 22/45 has polymer grips and is laid out like a Colt 1911. Should I care? Is it one of those "personal preference" things?

I think it is a personal preference thing. Either can be shot extremely well. Try both and decide which one you think fits your hand best.

Tiktock,

Can you elaborate a bit on this sear? Are there any available between what you got and the stock one? Were the original sights the fiber ones? Wanna unload them? ;-)

If you intend on adding a reddot sight, the more expensive fibre optic sights might be a waste of money. The bull barrel is what I would recommend.

When you finally get around to field stripping the firearm, have the manual handy. It takes some getting used to the first few times.

You will not be sorry and you won't lose anything even if you sell it at a later date. With the price of centerfire ammo going up, 22lr firearms are going to be in demand.

Tiktock,

Can you elaborate a bit on this sear? Are there any available between what you got and the stock one? Were the original sights the fiber ones? Wanna unload them? ;-)

The sear is a simple part, you just do a full internal strip, replace it, and reassemble. I havent seen any between 2# and the stock, though....

I got mine at www.rimfiresports.com along with the grips, an extended bolt release, and EDM extractor. You can get lots there, compensators, triggers, target hammers, etc etc.

Original sights were the hi-viz fiber optic ones. Im keeping then for now in case I ever want to upgrade to a diff gun or use them if the red dot is having problems....i think you can get em new for like 30$

That's a really pretty gun there. I've been thinking of getting a longer-barreled .22LR handgun someday for some really accurate handgun shooting, and that'd be at the top of my list. I'm also looking at the S&W 617 with 8" barrel, which I have fired before and really liked it. So far I'm having trouble deciding. I haven't tried the MKIII yet. (Maybe I should compromise and get both!)

Prepper, my experience in accuracy testing off of a rest was that the 617 far outstripped the MKIII Bull barrel that I had. It did have a lousy DA trigger that only got worse as time went on. This is of course on shooter with one type of ammo (CCI target).

Get both! My first firearm purchase was a Sig 226ST and S&W 617. I still have the 226ST and won't sell it despite the fact that it came with a bit of barrel springing from the factory.

Last edited:
That's a really pretty gun there. I've been thinking of getting a longer-barreled .22LR handgun someday for some really accurate handgun shooting, and that'd be at the top of my list. I'm also looking at the S&W 617 with 8" barrel, which I have fired before and really liked it. So far I'm having trouble deciding. I haven't tried the MKIII yet. (Maybe I should compromise and get both!)

Well, the guy whose MkIII I tried also let me shoot his SIG P226. It's probably too much of a gun for a novice, but oh my God it was fun!!! I am sooo very tempted!!!

ruger 22

Pip, if you get the ruger you'll do just fine. Taking it apart is not a big
problem.

DO NOT< REPEAT DO NOT TAKE OF THE GRIPS, if you do it won't go back
together properly....

Its an easy gun to disassemble and reassemble.........

JimB

Quick question regarding a first handgun purchase. I'm still going for the basic pistol course, but after using a colleagues I've decided to look at getting a Ruger Mark III .22LR. There are a couple of models available. The Mark III Bull Barrel and the Mark III Hunter. There is about a $100 dollar difference (the Hunter being the more espensive). Is there any need to pay extra for the 1.5" longer barrel and fiber optic sites for a first handgun? I was also thinking of the Beretta, but decided to buy American. Thanks....Matt

This is an easy one. What are you planning to do with the gun? The weight is not an issue as I think the Hunter weighs about the same as the 5 1/4 bull barrel model. What you are paying for is sight radius. If you plan to put optics on the gun you should save the money and put it towards your optical sight. If you plan to shoot it with the included sights get the Hunter. The extra sight radius (barrel length) will help you to shoot it better and the fibre optic front sight is awesome. There's a reason just about everyone is putting them on their guns these days. They work. Once you try it you will like it. As for the MK III or the 22/45 model, it's a personal preference, but to me there is no comparison, I say get the MKIII. It's a much more solid performer and feels better. Plus, the grip angle is more comfortable, but YMMV. I have a MKIII that I put the fibre optic sights on ($50). I like it and it's super reliable and accurate, but I wish I had the extra barrel length. The extra money spent now will soon be forgotten about and you will have and enjoy the gun forever.
-Cuz.

As for the disassembly woes...i think they are vastly overstated. Sure, this isnt a simple one button stripdown, but I had zero problems the first time i did a full breakdown so long as you follow directions. Once you realize the main points to keep track of, disassembly becomes a simple process and I can now do it in less than a minute.

Thanks. I had read (maybe it was here) that the optic sites should be avoided, especially early on in your shooting life as they tend to exagerate the shaking of your hands. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks. I had read (maybe it was here) that the optic sites should be avoided, especially early on in your shooting life as they tend to exagerate the shaking of your hands. Is there any truth to this?
I don't think so. If anything they show you when your hands are shaking and allow you to improve your grip to remove it.

When you start out, you want to learn sight picture. A dot sight does not allow you to learn that. I have always felt that you should learn to crawl before you try to run.

I also firmly believe if you start with a double action 22LR revolver, you will learn proper use of sights and proper trigger control that will help you in any future hand gun shooting. Read some of the threads on Snub Nose revolvers and how the shooters seem to improve on their semis after shooting the revolvers. This is not an accident.

S&W 617 6" barrel and I prefer the 10 shot version.

Regards,

Shooting with a Dot provides a tremendous amount of feedback. But without a solid foundation built from iron sights, you are not going to know how to interpret the feedback. Get the Mark III and alot of ammo, have someone that really knows the mechanics of shooting teach you proper form.

Also get a revolver, nothing teaches you how to isolate your trigger finger from the rest of your hand like the heavy long trigger pull

Back
Top Bottom