• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Member Introduction and Seeking Advice on First Gun Purchase

Moe3672

NES Member
Hey everyone, I'm a new member here and recently obtained my LTC. I'm looking to responsibly purchase my first firearm and would greatly appreciate any advice on where and how to do so.

I've done some research whilst waiting for my license to come through and have a good idea of what I am looking for: striker fired, polymer frame, full size, 9mm.

I took a trip to gun store in Springfield today they were super welcoming and helpful. However, the range of available firearms was more limited than I expected. I still got to put some rounds through a Sig P320 and HK VP9 which was a lot of fun. Anyway, I'd like to experience other models from other manufacturers and was wondering the best way of going about that without driving all over MA (I live in Western MA).

I'm looking forward to being a part of this community and appreciate any advice or tips you might have.

Sig P365 in one of the variants.

Since Glocks are stupidly expensive or hard to get or some combination of that, the 365 is a great choice in MA

If you're just asking where you can try guns before making the purchase just see what services the local ranges offer. I don't know about Western MA but Mass Firearms School has a long list of guns available to rent.

my experience w/ new shooters makes me want to NOT suggest
a standard P365 (3.1"). Seen too many people (both M or F or B ;) )
have a hard time controlling it and getting reliable center mass, which
leads to a lot of frustration.

Your mileage may vary but something to be aware of.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I'm a new member here and recently obtained my LTC. I'm looking to responsibly purchase my first firearm and would greatly appreciate any advice on where and how to do so.

I've done some research whilst waiting for my license to come through and have a good idea of what I am looking for: striker fired, polymer frame, full size, 9mm.

I took a trip to gun store in Springfield today they were super welcoming and helpful. However, the range of available firearms was more limited than I expected. I still got to put some rounds through a Sig P320 and HK VP9 which was a lot of fun. Anyway, I'd like to experience other models from other manufacturers and was wondering the best way of going about that without driving all over MA (I live in Western MA).

I'm looking forward to being a part of this community and appreciate any advice or tips you might have.

I'm going to suggest you buy one of the popular 22 caliber handguns. A few reasons for this.

1) They are relatively inexpensive.
2) No better way to learn how to shoot. Low recoil, so you do not develop bad flinching habits.
3) Inexpensive to shoot. 5 cents a round. You can't beat that.
4) They are just stupid fun. You will own multiple 22s in the future. We have five.
5) You will use it in the future to introduce others to shooting.

You will not own just one gun. So do it right and get a simple, friendly, soft shooter right out of the gate. Don't make the mistake that we all did.... buy an edc gun as your first one. You will hate it and in two weeks, you guessed it, buy a 22.

My wife got a p938 as her first because that is what the shop recommended. To this day she can't shoot it. Today it's my edc.

he doesn't have much of a selection for sure, and he spews BS like most dealers who won't sell anything "not on the list". like others have suggested, Mass Firearms | Shooting Sports Center in Holliston, MA is worth the ride for you. they have more inventory to try, and they are a huge sponsor of this forum.
Holliston is ~2 hours away from me so I'll need to make a day of it and go during the week. From reading some of the threads here is it safe to assume I should call ahead so they know I'm coming and why vs just showing up?

I'm going to suggest you buy one of the popular 22 caliber handguns. A few reasons for this.

2) No better way to learn how to shoot. Low recoil, so you do not develop bad flinching habits.
4) They are just stupid fun. You will own multiple 22s in the future. We have five.

You will not own just one gun. So do it right and get a simple, friendly, soft shooter right out of the gate. Don't make the mistake that we all did.... buy an edc gun as your first one. You will hate it and in two weeks, you guessed it, buy a 22.

My wife got a p938 as her first because that is what the shop recommended. To this day she can't shoot it. Today it's my edc.
This is a great point and something I am definitely open to, why buy 1 when I can have 2, right?

My wife and son both took the same course I did and my wife will be applying for her LTC also so having a .22 would allow us both to go to the range.

Holliston is ~2 hours away from me so I'll need to make a day of it and go during the week. From reading some of the threads here is it safe to assume I should call ahead so they know I'm coming and why vs just showing up?
make a day trip, and after MFS head up 495 to "the mill" in Littleton, that also is worth a trip.

Given what is going on in Massachusetts relative to the draconian anti 2A firearms bill going through the legislative "process", I would echo what some others have said: buy an AR15. Or at least, but an AR15 lower receiver that you can build up later. Go to "The Mill" in Littleton.

Then buy the polymer handgun later.

I'm not up on the world of 22LR semi-autos but things like:
Ruger SR22
Sig 322
some Walther?
I'm sure there are others.

get a good AR15 lower and put it away for a while.

Get a decent 9mm semi-auto that won't break the bank.
I'm a fan of the Canik's even if the President of Turkey is a dirtbag.

make a day trip, and after MFS head up 495 to "the mill" in Littleton, that also is worth a trip.

Be aware that almost all of the 'Mill' trolls people are not doing this as a full-time
gig so very few will be open on a 'drop in on any random weekday' trip.

Wednesday or weekends are your best bet but weekends can be mucho crazy/busy.
Just the way it is.

This is a great point and something I am definitely open to, why buy 1 when I can have 2, right?

My wife and son both took the same course I did and my wife will be applying for her LTC also so having a .22 would allow us both to go to the range.
What PeterK says is excellent advice. It sounds like you, wife, and son are new shooters, so it could take a few thousand rounds to learn. You are much more likely to spend more time practicing when it only costs $.06 per round for .22 rather than $.30 for 9mm. And it will be faster learning with a .22 due to recoil, etc.

For the same amount of money (or less) it would cost you just for 3,000 rounds of 9mm, you can buy 3,000 rounds of .22 and a nice pistol. Then, after you and the family shot that ammo, you would all be better shooters, and will still have the .22 pistol.

I would recommend you get a decent size pistol so that you learn to shoot a bit more effectively. The two that come to mind are the Sig P322 and the Taurus TX22. They are full size, easy to shoot, and have very similar controls as most full size 9mm which will make transitioning to your next gun much easier.

Have your wife & son apply for their LTC ASAP - the proposed legislation includes longer training requirements and if they wait around they may have to take another class

Ah, the rabbit hole of gun ownership. A son you say?

After the 22 handgun go get a ruger 10/22 rifle. Think of it as a bb gun on steroids. I got one for my daughter when she was young. We put a little scope on it and shot those flat lolipos you used to get from the dentist (get it in bulk on Amazon) at 50, 75 and a 100 yards. She had so much fun doing that. And the target is biodegradable and edible!

Let us help you spend your money!

Only caveat is that 22 semi-autos can experience frequent FTF and FTE (failure to fire, failure to eject). It is no fault of one's own but it can be frustrating especially for a new shooter.
If you can find the money for a 9 then go that route.

Not saying don't buy the 22 just know what you may run into.

OK if we are going to do the 22 thing first, Ruger MK anything either new or used, incredible bang for the buck, easy to use, just don't try to take it apart to clean it you have been warned.

If you want to learn to shoot for cheap, that is the way to do it.

After my nephew's range trips where he was burning up $200 a trip in 9 and 40, it was cheaper to buy the Ruger and let him blast away with that and he got better as he went along, at the end of the session he could blow thru 50 rounds of 9 or 40 depending what we had for ammo and brought for guns.

IMHO guns everyone should own in their collection

1) some sort of a 22 target pistol or revolver, I'd love a K-22 Masterpiece or a Model 17 but I'd settle for the Ruger

2) 38/.357 revolver, my fav is a Model 13 4"

3) 1911 in 45, does not have to be a Gold Cup Colt, a RIA is a nice plinking gun

4) Rem 870 or Mossberg 590, or some type of shotgun

5) I see a lot of people saying AR buy an AR, they are going to be banned! There are lots of rifles out there, including others chambered in .223/5.56.
If you could get an AR or a stripped lower for reasonable money by it, but as I said, there are other platforms out there.

6) 2 every day carry guns, and I would suggest something in 9mm, but you need to do is do range days where you can try different guns. Many people swear by Glocks but there are many that hate the grip angle and can't seem to get used to them or get them on target. Picking your EDC gun is like picking the woman you eventually want to be the mother of your children, you are going to try quite a few out, some you thought you were going to like that turned
out to be not for you. You may go thru a couple of guns before you find the right one for you.

Now my final comment, I don't care what you buy. What I care about is you buy something that you can become proficient with, and that means setting time and money aside for range days and training. Your EDC is something you need to be as comfortable to use as a spoon or fork. You need to be able to "tap rack and roll", you need to know how to reload on the move, shoot while moving to cover, shoot and reload offhand, etc. Those are skills that come with time, and I encourage you to develop them as some day they might save your life.

Just show up. They have a pretty good selection of guns you can rent to shoot in their range. If they have something in stock you think you might want to buy, they also have a "Try Before You Buy" thing. For $10, they give you a target, 10 rounds, and let you shoot it.

OK if we are going to do the 22 thing first, Ruger MK anything either new or used, incredible bang for the buck, easy to use, just don't try to take it apart to clean it you have been warned.

If you want to learn to shoot for cheap, that is the way to do it.

After my nephew's range trips where he was burning up $200 a trip in 9 and 40, it was cheaper to buy the Ruger and let him blast away with that and he got better as he went along, at the end of the session he could blow thru 50 rounds of 9 or 40 depending what we had for ammo and brought for guns.

IMHO guns everyone should own in their collection

1) some sort of a 22 target pistol or revolver, I'd love a K-22 Masterpiece or a Model 17 but I'd settle for the Ruger

2) 38/.357 revolver, my fav is a Model 13 4"

3) 1911 in 45, does not have to be a Gold Cup Colt, a RIA is a nice plinking gun

4) Rem 870 or Mossberg 590, or some type of shotgun

5) I see a lot of people saying AR buy an AR, they are going to be banned! There are lots of rifles out there, including others chambered in .223/5.56.
If you could get an AR or a stripped lower for reasonable money by it, but as I said, there are other platforms out there.

6) 2 every day carry guns, and I would suggest something in 9mm, but you need to do is do range days where you can try different guns. Many people swear by Glocks but there are many that hate the grip angle and can't seem to get used to them or get them on target. Picking your EDC gun is like picking the woman you eventually want to be the mother of your children, you are going to try quite a few out, some you thought you were going to like that turned
out to be not for you. You may go thru a couple of guns before you find the right one for you.

Now my final comment, I don't care what you buy. What I care about is you buy something that you can become proficient with, and that means setting time and money aside for range days and training. Your EDC is something you need to be as comfortable to use as a spoon or fork. You need to be able to "tap rack and roll", you need to know how to reload on the move, shoot while moving to cover, shoot and reload offhand, etc. Those are skills that come with time, and I encourage you to develop them as some day they might save your life.

The only thing I would say differently for a brand new gun owner is 3) Full size striker fire polymer gun in 9mm such as Glock, M&P, Sig, H&K, Canik...

I have and love 1911s as much as anyone but IMO that would be in the second round of purchases after you already have the basics.

Back
Top Bottom