Ruger P Series: .40 or .45?

Which caliber?

Votes: 8 36.4%

Votes: 14 63.6%

• Total voters
Pretty sure I know how this will go, but I've had an interest in the Ruger P pistols for years and some time ago I was hankering on getting the .45, but the prices at the time were around $500 due to Covid. Apparently the prices haven't come down much, they're running about $4-450 now. I'm considering alternative calibers to get my P fix and 9mm is out due to the 10 rd limit and I already have a DA/SA 9mm, so what's left is .40, which I swore I was never going to buy another .40, but at $250 I can't say that with the same resolve.

If .40 is really going extinct, can I expect the price of these to go down to Hi Point prices of a 30 pack of Natural Ice and a carton of Marlboros?

Jokes aside I'm figuring that the itch can be scratched as well with the .40 as the .45 can and I've more .40 ammo than .45, plus I can get a box of .40 for a few bucks less than .45 currently.

Pretty sure I know how this will go, but I've had an interest in the Ruger P pistols for years and some time ago I was hankering on getting the .45, but the prices at the time were around $500 due to Covid. Apparently the prices haven't come down much, they're running about $4-450 now. I'm considering alternative calibers to get my P fix and 9mm is out due to the 10 rd limit and I already have a DA/SA 9mm, so what's left is .40, which I swore I was never going to buy another .40, but at $250 I can't say that with the same resolve.

If .40 is really going extinct, can I expect the price of these to go down to Hi Point prices of a 30 pack of Natural Ice and a carton of Marlboros?

Jokes aside I'm figuring that the itch can be scratched as well with the .40 as the .45 can and I've more .40 ammo than .45, plus I can get a box of .40 for a few bucks less than .45 currently.
I'm curious as to why you have interest in the p 45 ruger. The p series does not have a good reputation and is considered by many to be one of rugers biggest "duds" in pistol design. My buddy had one and was a complete piece of shit jamomatic.

I'm curious as to why you have interest in the p 45 ruger. The p series does not have a good reputation and is considered by many to be one of rugers biggest "duds" in pistol design. My buddy had one and was a complete piece of shit jamomatic.
I have an early P89DC and it is built like a tank. I used if for years as the pistol to teach new shooters with after the .22. Absolutely built like a tank, relatively good accuracy and NO problems. It was the one designed to be entered for consideration for the armed services so it had the larger capacity magazines. Not normal for Ruger at the time.

The P345 on the other hand. I shot it often but all the 'added safety' was a pain in the ass. Somehow, I damaged the firing pin, which is common on this model, and it went back to Ruger. Great customer service. The mag out/safety was something I learned not to like in a carry gun. Too many things to go wrong. I ended up shooting my 'true' 1911 pistols over that P345.

I have said it in the past that I love Ruger's revolvers and the MK .22 line, but they do suffer in the centerfire auto pistols.

Best of luck in your research and pistol.

Ruger's first centerfire auto back when they weren't just copying others. I know the triggers aren't good, but other than the .45 the P series is still pretty affordable used and they're metal framed.

My alternative .45 DA/SA is a Taurus TH. Beretta makes a Px4 in .45, but their quality has been sus lately.

I'm a big fan of the 45 but in this case I'd vote for the 40. My only complaint with the 40 is that it's usually chambered in guns that also come in 9mm. This makes for a small gun that beats the shit out of both gun and shooter. In a full size gun, it should be fine.

I have an early P89DC and it is built like a tank. I used if for years as the pistol to teach new shooters with after the .22. Absolutely built like a tank, relatively good accuracy and NO problems. It was the one designed to be entered for consideration for the armed services so it had the larger capacity magazines. Not normal for Ruger at the time.

The P345 on the other hand. I shot it often but all the 'added safety' was a pain in the ass. Somehow, I damaged the firing pin, which is common on this model, and it went back to Ruger. Great customer service. The mag out/safety was something I learned not to like in a carry gun. Too many things to go wrong. I ended up shooting my 'true' 1911 pistols over that P345.

I have said it in the past that I love Ruger's revolvers and the MK .22 line, but they do suffer in the centerfire auto pistols.

I'm not looking for one I was asking t unit why he was interested in the p series.

I agree with you know ruger.....the mk series 1 to 4 22lr and revolvers are rugers forte. I'd never even consider buying a ruger center fire auto loader especially that p series based on my buddies experiences........and I did fire it a few times and that trigger was just absolute shit.

A bad example of one doesn't make a whole line of guns bad.

I've got three P series Ruger pistols in 9mm and cannot remember ever having a malfunction with any of them.

Yes, they're a bit clunky, the trigger is not greatest, but they are accurate and can take a real beating.

I've fired L7A1 9mm +p+ ammo through them for hours with no ill effects. Try that with a Glock or any other 9mm pistol. I'll bet the farm the pistol won't go home in a serviceable condition.

I've got three P series Ruger pistols in 9mm and cannot remember ever having a malfunction with any of them.

Yes, they're a bit clunky, the trigger is not greatest, but they are accurate and can take a real beating.

I've fired L7A1 9mm +p+ ammo through them for hours with no ill effects. Try that with a Glock or any other 9mm pistol. I'll bet the farm the pistol won't go home in a serviceable condition.
I know one lemon doesn't rep the whole line of guns.....but......they did have a bad reputation for reliability.......and I've got personal eyes on experience with one that was a pos and that would make me steer clear of that Line of pistols personally.

And yeah......they were clunky, ugly, ergonomic nightmares with a shit trigger. Just my opinion.....something like that should be left to die into the oblivion of time and Long forgotten. 😂

I know one lemon doesn't rep the whole line of guns.....but......they did have a bad reputation for reliability.......and I've got personal eyes on experience with one that was a pos and that would make me steer clear of that Line of pistols personally.

And yeah......they were clunky, ugly, ergonomic nightmares with a shit trigger. Just my opinion.....something like that should be left to die into the oblivion of time and Long forgotten. 😂
Technology marches on.
There will always be better replacements for older guns but there will always be a market/crowd that goes for the old stuff.
Personally, I'd rather have four or five Ruger P85's or P89's than two Glocks for the same money.

Learn something every day
Never knew Ruger made a 45

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPVqNRmhyhc

I would buy another P345 in a heartbeat. Excellent pistol. Never an issue with any of mine. Slim grip feels good in the hand, and very accurate. My P85 and P89 were all excellent guns as well. The entire P series is pretty great if you don't mind carrying a boat anchor (except the P345, pretty light weight).

Not buying a 95DC/9mm is stupid, you just put that 10rd stipulation in there to be edgy. 🤣

Seriously though, why buy more negative value guns? The guns you are considering shelf rot. Although if forced id pick the 45 first.

Glocks can take hirt L7A1 no problem.

I agree p89, 95DC etc are brick shithouses though.

This is a joke right?
That's what I thought of the whole thread. If I had a Hi-Point held to my head and was forced to make a decision, I'd go with a 40 just so that when I was shooting it people would think I was a fag or took a shop's recommendation rather than a 45 which implies that I sought out that finely crafted firearm.

Some more Ruger metntions. Forgot about the SR45!

Not buying a 95DC/9mm is stupid, you just put that 10rd stipulation in there to be edgy. 🤣

Seriously though, why buy more negative value guns? The guns you are considering shelf rot. Although if forced id pick the 45 first.
What's your deal with "negative" value guns? Does every gun you buy have to be treated as some investment that makes a return?

I don't buy guns as an investment, I buy them for a hobby. Actually, when I think about the ones I've sold (they were both .22s) they were cheaper brands and they sold within a couple weeks because, apparently, people don't get Jewballs over cheap guns. I'm much more likely to have a difficult time selling something like an H&K USP because the price is higher than what most are willing to pay for a pistol.

What's your deal with "negative" value guns? Does every gun you buy have to be treated as some investment that makes a return?

I don't buy guns as an investment, I buy them for a hobby. Actually, when I think about the ones I've sold (they were both .22s) they were cheaper brands and they sold within a couple weeks because, apparently, people don't get Jewballs over cheap guns. I'm much more likely to have a difficult time selling something like an H&K USP because the price is higher than what most are willing to pay for a pistol.

It's not about investing it's about buying guns that are terrible value propositions. A 9mm P series ruger retains at least some of its value much better vs the alternatives. And if you wanted a 40 or 45 there's other guns in those calibers that aren't automatically losers. (Like a G23, G21, or about a dozen other guns ).

Would you buy a car that depreciated 100% off the lot or 50%? A ruger P series in anything other than 9mm meets the definition of the former 999/1000 times.

I'm not even saying that every gun purchase has to be rational but even if that is the case just go buy something you want, you don't have to ask for validation. 🤣 There's no objective goodness here.

I'll also go on the record and basically tell you that I've owned a bunch of stupid guns and made a bunch of stupid choices in buying guns and honestly I wish I had somebody berate me when I went to go make these choices- because I would have saved a lot of money and a lot of wasted time. In some cases these experiences are fun but you're paying a lot of overhead for about maybe a couple weeks of fun before the novelty wears off and it starts to collect dust.

Actually I will concede that I'm being a little hard here because you could do exponentially
worse. Things like trash can 22s and trash can shotguns / rifles are worse, a lot worse. Even if I had a Ruger P90 45 and I died my family would at least probably get a hundred bucks or two out of it whereas the trash can shotgun is going to be just about negative.

I guess I'm just biased because it's pretty sad when I would inventory an estate and the deceased was some weird hipster skinflint that had 90% weird trash in his collection. Frequently these types of collections of guns end up being nearly worthless, a sad outcome. This is the type of thing where if I have a few turds like this in my safe it's one thing but if I have an entire gun cabinet full of this crap then I would hope that a friend of mine would ask me what the f*** I was doing. 🤣

As a point of contrast, a dear friend of mine passed away not that long ago, and because his guns weren't f***ing low prop garbage- (Mostly Glocks, Sigs, a few nice SW revolvers, some actually desirable fudd guns, a few colt ARs, etc) his child got a healthy chunk of change.

Would you consider P226's in 40? They come up from time to time <500 for DA/SA, <400 for DAK. Not the Pseries you asked about, I know.

It's not about investing it's about buying guns that are terrible value propositions. A 9mm P series ruger retains at least some of its value much better vs the alternatives. And if you wanted a 40 or 45 there's other guns in those calibers that aren't automatically losers. (Like a G23, G21, or about a dozen other guns ).

Would you buy a car that depreciated 100% off the lot or 50%? A ruger P series in anything other than 9mm meets the definition of the former 999/1000 times.

I'm not even saying that every gun purchase has to be rational but even if that is the case just go buy something you want, you don't have to ask for validation. 🤣 There's no objective goodness here.

I'll also go on the record and basically tell you that I've owned a bunch of stupid guns and made a bunch of stupid choices in buying guns and honestly I wish I had somebody berate me when I went to go make these choices- because I would have saved a lot of money and a lot of wasted time. In some cases these experiences are fun but you're paying a lot of overhead for about maybe a couple weeks of fun before the novelty wears off and it starts to collect dust.

Actually I will concede that I'm being a little hard here because you could do exponentially
worse. Things like trash can 22s and trash can shotguns / rifles are worse, a lot worse. Even if I had a Ruger P90 45 and I died my family would at least probably get a hundred bucks or two out of it whereas the trash can shotgun is going to be just about negative.

I guess I'm just biased because it's pretty sad when I would inventory an estate and the deceased was some weird hipster skinflint that had 90% weird trash in his collection. Frequently these types of collections of guns end up being nearly worthless, a sad outcome. This is the type of thing where if I have a few turds like this in my safe it's one thing but if I have an entire gun cabinet full of this crap then I would hope that a friend of mine would ask me what the f*** I was doing. 🤣

As a point of contrast, a dear friend of mine passed away not that long ago, and because his guns weren't f***ing low prop garbage- (Mostly Glocks, Sigs, a few nice SW revolvers, some actually desirable fudd guns, a few colt ARs, etc) his child got a healthy chunk of change.
Ah, the old "grandchildren's grandchildren" gun buying argument, where the guns you buy must hold their value for the next century and a half because there's a fantasy among Boomers that their kin aren't going to be fukking wastoids who sell their shit for their next high.

Yeah, I don't buy guns for people a century from now, I buy them for me today and when I'm gone I don't much care what they sell for. It is amusing you think people 30 years from now are going to have the money to buy Smiths and Sigs, they're probably going to be so in debt and broke they won't be able to afford shoes.

So, to you negative value guns are basically guns people don't want to buy, which goes into if it's not a 9mm with the right brand name, a non-Anderson AR, Ruger .22, or 590 shotgun it's a gun that will be sold for pennies on the dollar.

Funny, the Taurus and Marlin .22 I had sold for what I paid them for, minus consignment. That's far from a 100% depreciation that you're claiming.

You are right tho, there are things I'll buy and the novelty will wear off. That will probably happen to the Bond derringer I'm looking at getting, but at least with that, because I don't buy Gucci guns all polished up and pretty, they're cheap and when I'm done with them I sell them cheap.

BTW, it'll be a Bond Stinger .38, 250 bucks. Slimmest derringers on the market.

All that said, you've made me realize that the .45 P90 at the prices they're selling for now are not worth getting because for $500 I could get a way better .45. Actually, for half that I got a way better .45 in your favorite feces manufacturer.

I'll think more on this. Maybe I don't need to buy a Ruger P pistol, but just borrow one from somebody for some range time and that'll be enough. That's how I learned years ago Mauser C96's weren't for me after I had lusted over them for years, then I shot one and I thought, "Damn, this sucks."

But, I'd bet that's not a "negative value gun" because it's expensive. I'm saying it's such a POS that it may as well be SVB bank stock a week before the crash.

Back
Top Bottom