Ruger SR1911 Commander

ntomsw

Banned
UPDATE- 6/12/13

Ruger emailed me this morning and said it cannot be fixed, and that they will be shipping a brand new 1911 to my FFL. They gave no reason why it happened, just that it could not be repaired.

So, hopefully by next week I'll have a brand new gun back.

Pretty fast turn around from Ruger.

I pulled my Commander out of the safe today, and noticed the whole frame was speckled with rust. I tried getting it off, and it won't come off.

I called Ruger, and they sent me a label, and told me to send it in. They think it might have something toxic in the metal causing it to do that. It's not the slide, just the frame.

They said most likely I'll need a whole new gun, will have to go through an FFL, etc etc etc.

Shipping it today, so we shall see what happens.

Last edited:
sorry to hear about your issue, but it looks like Ruger is doing right. do you have anything to control the humidity in your safe?

I pulled my Commander out of the safe today, and noticed the whole frame was speckled with rust. I tried getting it off, and it won't come off.

I called Ruger, and they sent me a label, and told me to send it in. They think it might have something toxic in the metal causing it to do that. It's not the slide, just the frame.

They said most likely I'll need a whole new gun, will have to go through an FFL, etc etc etc.

Shipping it today, so we shall see what happens.

So your buyer didn't like the "special edition" look?

I didn't need to sell it after all. Being out of work sucks. Thanks. I am keeping it. I noticed it afterwards. I wasn't even paying attention. Thanks for making me aware of it though. [rolleyes]

As far as my safe, no other guns rust. My other SR1911 is just fine. I check it everyday. This is the only one that has ever rusted.

Last edited:
Re: Ruger SR1911 Commander going back to Ruger

Hey sorry, didn't realize you were out of work.
sent via Samsung Galaxy S4 / 4G LTE & Tapatalk 2

Hey sorry, didn't realize you were out of work.
sent via Samsung Galaxy S4 / 4G LTE & Tapatalk 2

still a stupid comment to make

hope they fix it Neil. the QC seems to be lacking with the SR1911. Weird. The SR series is known to have mostly high reviews and almost no problems. Now the sights shear off at 50rds and rust right away. Fail Ruger.

Ruger SR1911 Commander going back to Ruger

Well before I bought my Ruger CMD (which is currently at Ruger getting a new front sight after the one on the gun sheared off at round 181) I read a lot of glowing reviews. It was after I had my problem and started digging a little deeper that I started reading a fair amount of negative reviews mainly on forums and gun bloggers. Seems like there have been issues and maybe some spotty QC. This is not typical of Ruger, but this is a radical departure from the Ruger norm which has always featured original design. Ruger does have good customer service so I am confident that they will make both of our guns right. Then again I used to believe in the Easter Bunny. We shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I already shipped it. So, we shall see.

If my other 1911 was rusted, or any of my other guns, I would think it was me. None of my other guns are rusting though. It was weird. Only around the grip area, and near the backstrap, all spotted.

I have only shot it a few times, and clean it everytime I shoot it. The guy I spoke with was great, and unless they can figure out what caused it, he said they will ship me a whole new firearm, new box, new mags, etc.

I shipped it back in the original box, all wrapped up like they requested.

So I'll find out soon enough.

Wow. I'm absolutely devastated. I was browsing this thread and said to my self jeez I haven't looked at my 1911 in a week or so. So I pulled it out and sure as shit spots of rust are coming through. FML

:) for those people that know, lots of grades of stainless will rust, and passivation is a treatment process to prevent corrosion. We do it alot in the medical industry with stainless surgical instruments.

Wow. I'm absolutely devastated. I was browsing this thread and said to my self jeez I haven't looked at my 1911 in a week or so. So I pulled it out and sure as shit spots of rust are coming through. FML

Call Ruger like I did.

The more cases they hear of it, they might check the QC on that line making them.

My Government SR1911 sits in my safe all the time, and it has never rusted.

Yea I have the full size. I made sure to pull out my sr9c in stainless too and that ones clean. It's really bothering me. I always keep it clean and well lube. Ugh.

Yeah this one I have has a shell casing dated 1/6/13 I believe. So the gun was made or assembled around that time frame.

Maybe a bad batch??? Not sure.

yeah that's why I'm wondering how old it is. Mine is pretty new so I'm curious to see if it happens when its about the same age

Maybe a bad batch??? Not sure.

With the fervor to make guns in the past few months I would not be surprised. My Ruger 1911 is 1 year old, has around 1000 rounds through it and the sight hasn't fallen off and is not rusted so there is hope!

How do you like the commander over the full size? I was thinking about buying a commander Ruger.

Chris

With the fervor to make guns in the past few months I would not be surprised. My Ruger 1911 is 1 year old, has around 1000 rounds through it and the sight hasn't fallen off and is not rusted so there is hope!

How do you like the commander over the full size? I was thinking about buying a commander Ruger.

Chris

My Colt is 28 years old has probably close to 10K rounds through it and the sight has not fallen off and it has not rusted so there is hope! [wink]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just noticed that my SR9C with stainless slide has a little spot of rust in the front sight dovetail. This is my EDC, I cleaned it after the last time I shot it 3 weeks ago, and not since. I will clean it tonight and hope it's just some surface corrosion from carrying in varying environmental conditions, but I'm not holding out hope. Looks like I'll be calling Ruger soon as well [frown]

I love the gun regardless of that small issue.

I have had no other problems with either one besides this rust spotting thing.

I will resist the temptation of adding to our long standing Ruger debate. One thing I can not argue is that Ruger's customer service seems to always go the extra mile to make their customers happy.

I hope they ship you a new one soon buddy and that it serves you well for years to come. I remember seeing the pictures of your Rugers in the 1911 thread and they sure are a sweet pair. Ask them if you can have your old one back and you can have a 1911 Menage a Trois. [grin]

It will be interesting to see how quickly they get it resolved because they must be swamped.

Back
Top Bottom