Ruger SR1911 Commander

Everyone might want to check their stainless Ruger's.

I just spoke with another member who has a stainless 10/22, that is only 3 months old, and the barrel is all pitted and rusted.

I am going to keep an eye on this SR1911 Commander. If it happens again, I will ask for a refund, or a replacement on an entirely different gun.

Everyone might want to check their stainless Ruger's.

I just spoke with another member who has a stainless 10/22, that is only 3 months old, and the barrel is all pitted and rusted.

I am going to keep an eye on this SR1911 Commander. If it happens again, I will ask for a refund, or a replacement on an entirely different gun.

****ing Ruger. My Stainless SR9c is okay (18 months old), although I did completely polish the entire barrel a month after I bought it . I even soaked it in white vinegar for 15 minutes. No issues whatsoever. I'm pissed at Ruger though. Unless it's the fault of the alloy they got, they get my respect back.

Yeah I am not sure what's going on. I will definitely be keeping a close eye on any Ruger I own.

The most frenzied buying and production rate the industry has ever seen..... Not an excuse, just an explanation. Adding new employees and production lines/shifts is not an easy thing, and it comes with a price.

Remember, every company F's up, it's have they fix the problem ( both with the customer and the production line ) that tells how good of a company they are

The most frenzied buying and production rate the industry has ever seen..... Not an excuse, just an explanation. Adding new employees and production lines/shifts is not an easy thing, and it comes with a price.

Remember, every company F's up, it's have they fix the problem ( both with the customer and the production line ) that tells how good of a company they are

Exactly. I am not totally pissed off at Ruger, because they made it right for me in exactly 1 weeks time. My new/replacement 1911 should be to my FFL tomorrow sometime. So, I will keep an eye on it and see what happens.

No "stainless" steel is truly rust proof. At best they are rust resistant. Treatments like tenifer or melonite actually resist rust better. Some stainless alloys are better than others, though.

After re-reading this thread I can't help but wonder if there is something bigger going on here with Ruger. I think that in 67 posts about 6 or 7 people have revealed rust issues within 6 months of purchase of a new firearm. And it is not just 1911's, it is 10/22's and SR's.

Is it just me or does it sound like they got a big ole batch of bad stainless? Ruger has a reputation of having some of the best customer service in the industry, as shown here with how fast they replaced Neil's gun, but as a company, it has to hurt to replace a whole bunch of guns for free.

Ruger SR1911 Commander going back to Ruger **UPDATE**

Maybe it was a bad batch. But the quality I have seen in the 3 rugers I own even with the rust issue on my 1911 will absolutely bring me back to purchase many more rugers. Also their customer service is second to none. Bad batch or not. I will continue to carry and shoot my rugers regularly.

Update:
Not starting a bickering war. Just stating how I feel. Everyone has their own...wait for it.....closer...……OPINION. [gasp]

Last edited:
I hadn't made it a (cleaning policy) to take off the (VZ) grips on the SR1911, but decided to do so after my last shoot. Low and behold, after removing the grips, I couldn't believe how much residue was on the frame - in part, because I probably use a tad too much solution when wiping down the firearm.

Yeah, this will not stop me from buying a Ruger in the future. They are 100% American made, and for the few things that you can buy American made, that means something to me.

Anything from a bad batch of steel, to them working 24/7 since December and something got missed could have happened.

They made it right for me with no complaints, no questions, etc.

My friend out in Michigan has about 20 Ruger guns from rifles to wheel guns, and not one of his has rusted. So this has to be an issue recently. Like I said, not one of my other Ruger's has rust on it. Just the 1 1911.

Either way, I will be keeping an eye on this one every single day to check it for rust, etc. Ruger has not lost me as a customer. They're a great company, and they make even better firearms.

Well I just picked it up at my FFL.

They did include a Ruger cleaning cloth to say sorry/thanks.

So, we shall see how this one goes. It has a test fired casing of 6/7/13. So this one is brand brand new. My last one was dated from January. I'll see if that matters.

Well I just picked it up at my FFL.

They did include a Ruger cleaning cloth to say sorry/thanks.

So, we shall see how this one goes. It has a test fired casing of 6/7/13. So this one is brand brand new. My last one was dated from January. I'll see if that matters.

Did you have to pay a transfer fee?

Re: Ruger SR1911 Commander going back to Ruger **UPDATE**

Great now I'm going to be worried about my new takedown. I'm pretty religious with wiping my guns down with a oil rag or silicone cloth... Sounds like yours rusted still being oiled?

Great now I'm going to be worried about my new takedown. I'm pretty religious with wiping my guns down with a oil rag or silicone cloth... Sounds like yours rusted still being oiled?

Yes. I always wipe my guns down and check on them. this one was only a couple of months old. The silicone cloth I use on all of my other guns, didn't do anything on this.

It was something in the metal. It had to be.

yeah I've got a stainless GP100 that I bought new back in the 90s and its still spotless even when I hadn't used it for about 10 years and it sat in a case. My 45LC Vaquero that's a few years old also spot free. Its gotta be just a bad batch of metal. I'm keeping an eye on my SR1911 which is about a week younger than yours though, check it every couple of days for any new developments.

Nods on Rugers customer service. This 1911 saga sounds a lot like their first sr9 and lcp teething process..

Dads sr9 went back 3 times for issues. Nothing in the process made the gun not run, but they dealt with it.

The one time I called in an issue with my kp95d and a broken retaining ring on the buffer spring, they ovrtnighted me a goodie bag with three spare rings and two full spring packs.

I'm waiting another year for the sr1911 line to settle in and then picking one up. And maybe an sr9c.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Ruger SR1911 Commander going back to Ruger **UPDATE**

Yeah my SR9c is fine, just had time to check everything. She's so classy lookin, if she rust's I'll lose my shit.
8ere4yba.jpg

I have a first gen gp100 and a first gen M77 both held up beautiful and shot flawless. I'm sure whatever the issue, it will be corrected.

Back
Top Bottom