Rust prevention/finishing a newly threaded barrel?

puška m70

NES Member
Just got my Norinco back from a smith after they had to clean up the threads from a poor thread job... think he may have went a little too far with the lathe...

What is a good finish or coating to put on the threads/crown to keep it from rusting since it is just bare steel. Would regular cold blue be fine for this?

Attachments

• 20220117_224945.jpg
    20220117_224945.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 51
I use Briley choke tube grease for my AK muzzle threads in addition to shotgun choke tubes.

Just got my Norinco back from a smith after they had to clean up the threads from a poor thread job... think he may have went a little too far with the lathe...

What is a good finish or coating to put on the threads/crown to keep it from rusting since it is just bare steel. Would regular cold blue be fine for this?
Cold blue will work ok, just make sure you follow the directions. Some need a really good flushing of cold clean water and then a coating if some sort of non detergent oil. Again follow the instructions
There are cold blues that will have mire rust issues down the road if not “treated” correctly.
Or just get some anti corrosive compound on there.

Been using this for years , my dad used it on electrical equipment that was in damp places like sub basements

Last edited:

Looks good , how does the new brake fit?

OP what did you use
Some anti seize after doing a cold blue on the threads. Had to use a crush washer since this MAK doesn't have a hole for a muzzle device retainer pin.

Kind of annoying this gun doesn't have a bayo lug or even a hole for a cleaning rod in the handguard retainer.

Some anti seize after doing a cold blue on the threads. Had to use a crush washer since this MAK doesn't have a hole for a muzzle device retainer pin.

Kind of annoying this gun doesn't have a bayo lug or even a hole for a cleaning rod in the handguard retainer.
Was never made for one , neutered to gain entry .
You can always swap out the front sight assembly
Has cut out for cleaning rod

And then it'll need a bayo lug, and a new hand guard retainer.
Yup or tou can get creative and make a bayonet lug.
Its been a long time since I messed with “AK”
Late 80s , early 90s
You could pick up a mac90 for $120 or so and a AK parts kit and do the transformation.
I only have the one mac 90 left and sadly it still sports the plastic stock , although the length of pull is much better for range fun. With the tasco/ati pos stock
Been so long I forget whats on there.

Its also dependent on the style of bayonet
The handful of Mak90s I have owned all came with the front releae bayonet which would work with the sight pictured aka “the AK47 “ bayonet.
Going on memory I think Bulgarian sights where the ones to grab back then.
I have a sight kicking around for my last Mak doubtful I will ever do it. ? Those days are over for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom