• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S.2572: How should we hold cops accountable?

How should MA gun owners address this?

• Lobby Clubs to prevent PDs from using facilities

• No longer buy from FFLs that sell “LEO only”

• Both A and B

• Other

• Take no action / “not their fault”

Results are only viewable after voting.
So where are all these liberty loving officers and police unions? I’m so sick of hearing how unions don’t reflect the rank and file. If they don’t who is electing them?

I voted A & B.

And remember. Chiefs are political animals. Their jobs are directly controlled by the pols. If they want to keep their cushy jobs, they have to felate the pols.

The real question is how do the street cops feel about this?

With the replacement of huge numbers of cops with lower skill, lower experienced candidates, I now am not sure the left has created an obedient, liberty stomping bunch of brown shirt toadies.
Cops have always been the literal armed enforcement wing of the state. That’s not anything new.

Never said it wouldnt pass.

But a broad swath of opposition from law enforcement would asway the public's fears on any teeth of the law ever coming to fruition.

I understand that won't happen here. It never has. It never will likely.

The reality is....our lawmakers suck. Our voters suck. That is not the fault of the Police.

However, they decided to enter the public fray on this and come out in support of it, like they have every other gun bill.

When you do that you open yourself up to comment.

If like a lot of people say...the police forces in small towns and western ma don't agree with the MACOPA stance, then maybe they should say something about it in public.

Likely won't happen.....Thin Blue Line. I get it. I'm not naive,

I've got a lot of Cop friends.....I see both sides........none of them are for it, but I'm sure you won't see them risking their pension, job and detail money coming out publicly against it.
I think some people believe that police are a collective force and that their views matter.
As a guy who wore a uniform for over 20 years I would disagree. Most of my colleagues were completely uninterested in politics. We could barely get enough guys to show up for a union meeting let alone voice their political opinions.

I think some people believe that police are a collective force and that their views matter.
As a guy who wore a uniform for over 20 years I would disagree. Most of my colleagues were completely uninterested in politics. We could barely get enough guys to show up for a union meeting let alone voice their political opinions.
Maybe internally as a group of induviduals you feel that way...totally understand.

Externally to the populace..... MCOPA holds some weight, they are the face of the public safety response.........if they didnt.....the media wouldn't parade them out there for every gun bill that is pushed up our ass here.

Which basically means even more that MCOPA probably does not speak for the rank and file.

I may propose a bylaw/SOP change that would prohibit departments, while training or qualifying at the gun clubs I belong to, from using any guns or magazines that a LTC holder would be prohibited from using or possessing. What's good for the gander is good for the goose!
These are the type of little things we need to do......make them feel our pain. Make them push the message up the ladder.

Problem is....a lot of them will just blame us for being anti cop.....not blame their leaders for being anti gun.

The only problem I have with your response is that I have NOT heard ANY dissent by the so-called rank-and-file officer's AGAINST MCOPA's position. The silence is deafening. They are as big a problem as the politician's that dreamed up this mess and the MCOPA turds that have turned their backs on normal citizens. By turning their backs collectively against normal citizens, they have effectively declared war on those very same citizens.
First off....MCOPA is a group of Police Chiefs.....not rank and file. Chiefs only should be dissenting against the groups position. Yes....the silence is deafening on that for sure.

Rank and file are not going to publicly say much about it because its career suicide not only going against your boss possibly (if they are an anti shithead) ...but the bosses Association.

I expect to hear nothing from rank and file. Nor should we. Silently....for sure my buddies are 100% against this shit.

The only problem I have with your response is that I have NOT heard ANY dissent by the so-called rank-and-file officer's AGAINST MCOPA's position. The silence is deafening. They are as big a problem as the politician's that dreamed up this mess and the MCOPA turds that have turned their backs on normal citizens. By turning their backs collectively against normal citizens, they have effectively declared war on those very same citizens.
I'm guessing that they need their jobs, retirement and health insurance as much as any of us. They speak out, and they are either fired, or on toilet patrol on the Boston Common.

Massachusetts is literally the easiest state to leave.
Job and family is the only thing keeping me here....for now.

I would have moved to Rindge area after the kids got out of college (high school probably) and kept the same jobs with a longer commute....wife didn't want to move twice.

She is realizing that was a mistake financially and as we would have bought before the recent real estate run.....and now been looking to sell. Yes....this ones on her. My mistake is not pushing harder on it maybe...but we are a team and back her play.

Thats the past....we are both on board with getting the F out of here down south near my daughter ASAP. If I wanted to totally throw my retirement and some of my future financial stability in limbo....I could be gone tomorrow.

Getting on a plane next week to look at more areas and more land...and hopefully pull the trigger on it.

Last edited:
I don't think any of this is really about holding cops accountable for this legislation - it's not their fault - it's about recognizing that they're not our friends when it comes to any of this. Sure, some of us have friends in law enforcement who are passionately pro-2A, and some of you are actually in law enforcement, but all of that - including the oath to uphold the constitution - is secondary when it comes to job security, or breaking rank. Plan and act accordingly.

It all makes sense now.

Your state legislature is comprised of 236 Democrats and only 28 Republicans.
Your governor is a Democrat. Your attorney general is a Democrat. Your secretary of public safety is a democrat. Virtually every office with power is held by a Democrat.
Both of your US senators and all 9 of your US congressmen are Democrats.
Massachusetts leans so far left it gets lumped in with California, New York, and New Jersey in any conversation regarding guns.
What makes you think your police departments have any impact on anti-gun legislation?
Not just Democrats. Far-left, whack job Democrats. Communist Democrats. Bolshevik Democrats.

Exactly the type of Dept. Head you don't want using your club. The senate bill is "much better" because they get their special carve-out. f*** em.

In my town, we have 3 clubs. One had a member put a round through the front door of house. Mine is now pants-shitting and implementing even more strict rules despite our 300 yard range being very limited in how you can place targets, and shoot in general. The third has PD members on the board. Good luck getting them to not allow the PD to train there.

In my town, we have 3 clubs. One had a member put a round through the front door of house. Mine is now pants-shitting and implementing even more strict rules despite our 300 yard range being very limited in how you can place targets, and shoot in general. The third has PD members on the board. Good luck getting them to not allow the PD to train there.
They can't run a club if all the members leave.

They can't run a club if all the members leave.
..... sorry, clubs out here are less about shooting and more about having a place to drink away from the wife and kids. Most of the drinkers only stay sober long enough to do a turkey shoot that kicks off at 9am Sunday. And really, most of them are nursing hangovers from Saturday night.

Exactly the type of Dept. Head you don't want using your club. The senate bill is "much better" because they get their special carve-out. f*** em.
Thats exactly what the Chief meant, and how it should be taken.

Carve out for LEO = much better..............fxck you peons that have to live under it!

How you feeling about MCOPA now?

I have been sure that they now represent a net negative for a long time now. I used to be a rah rah back the blue person too. Today? Let's just get these people out of their jobs or make it so uncomfortable and unprofitable that no one wants the job.
I used to support the police as well. Not in the last few years though. There may be "just a few bad apples" but they will ALL line up to tread on me if ordered to do so.

Back
Top Bottom