S&W 642 defensive Ammo..What do you use?

I just picked up my 642 yesterday and had no clue what to get for defensive Ammo.

I ended up with Speer Gold Dot short barrel 38 SPL+P 135 gr.

. Was this a good choice?
. Is there a better choice?
. What do you use?

another one for Speer GoldDot SB here. 135gr IIRC (havent looked in a while)

practice ammo = 158gr LSWC over 4gr of W231. not quite +p, but very similiar recoil (at least to me)

woops. edit. just checked the box, they're 125grain +'s

Last edited:
I just picked up a case of the 135 Gold Dot +P. Seems to cover all the bases. Low flash, good bullet design, more than adequate velocity, controllable recoil.

It's a great all around load for small revolvers.

While Speer's load is good, it still has a long way to go to equal the collective record of Remington's and Winchester's versions of the FBI revolver load: a 158 grain lead semi wadcutter hollow point bullet going 800 fps from a snub and 850 to 900 fps from a 3 to 4 inch K frame.

I go it one better by carrying Buffalo Bore's version of the FBI load which smokes a chronographed 1000 fps from a 2" snub.

158 @ 1000 > 135 @ 850.

While Speer's load is good, it still has a long way to go to equal the collective record of Remington's and Winchester's versions of the FBI revolver load: a 158 grain lead semi wadcutter hollow point bullet going 800 fps from a snub and 850 to 900 fps from a 3 to 4 inch K frame.

I go it one better by carrying Buffalo Bore's version of the FBI load which smokes a chronographed 1000 fps from a 2" snub.

158 @ 1000 > 135 @ 850.

+1

I use the Remington 158gr LSWCHP "FBI Load". This cartridge has put down more bad guys than the GDHP ever will.

+1

I use the Remington 158gr LSWCHP "FBI Load". This cartridge has put down more bad guys than the GDHP ever will.

It's also been around a lot longer than the GDHP, so it's a bit short-sighted to think that the GDHP - simply by lack of history, is any slouch - or any less effective at putting a bad guy down...

Here's a decent write up on the comparisons - there's more out there.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/38 Snub Ammo Test.htm

Back
Top Bottom