S&W 642 or Ruger LCR ???

I just made this decision. I chose the LCR, I just liked the feel of the grip and the feel of the trigger. I bought the one with the high vis front sight. Try holding them (or preferably shooting) them both and the decision might become clearer for yourself.

I just made this decision. I chose the LCR, I just liked the feel of the grip and the feel of the trigger. I bought the one with the high vis front sight. Try holding them (or preferably shooting) them both and the decision might become clearer for yourself.

This. They're both good guns with their own pros, you just gotta decide which one is right for you. I have a 442, though I picked it up before the LCR was around.

Love my LCR. Got the boot grips and it helps with the pocket carry.

No matter which gun you choose, you certainly won't be underarmed with 5 rounds of GDHP.

I think the smith is built a little better, but don't like the backstrap shape.

I had a 642. Trigger was a hard pull. Jerked the gun too much. Im told it will loosen up in time. I bought the Kahr PM9. 9mm ammo is half the price of .38

I have a S&W 637, my first gun I evahhh bought! My girl has a S&W 442 also. They are awesome firearms, relatively cheap, light as hell, and pack a severe punch. Now, the gun is light but, both my girl and I don't think the recoil is bad at all. The only thing I would tell you to think about is this, if you can get one for a reasonable price with crimson trace I think that would be the way to go. S&W did a great job with these babies....

my friend has a LCR and i had a 442 and given the choice i would go with the LCR based on the trigger alone. i ended up getting rid of my 442 but it by no means was a bad gun, either.

+1
I already own a 340 PD, but when I fondled the LCR it felt completely different in the hand. The trigger pull is also completely different, I think better, than the hammerless S&W J frames.
I think one trip to the guns store to hold them both will make your decision one way or the other.

Both are made by excellent companies with great customer support.

I had a 642. Trigger was a hard pull. Jerked the gun too much. Im told it will loosen up in time. I bought the Kahr PM9. 9mm ammo is half the price of .38

I can't imagine buying any new revolver in MA and not having the trigger worked on.
I don't even bother to dry fire them.

I have the 642CT, laser grips and some Derr trigger work.
I am in love.

I have not held a LCR.

If you do your research on a CCW piece, in the various CCW forums on the web, every recommendation that is not a J frame will most always PS 'and a J frame'.
I felt the summary of the question was 50% a J frame and 50% everything else.
100% of the J frame owners say 'do not get an alloy .357'.

That is how I read the info when I bought mine, four months before they introduced a no-lock version.

Bill

I agree with you about not getting an alloy J frame in .357.

I own a 340 PD only because I won it in a raffle at the S&W Winternationals several years ago.
Otherwise I would have bought a cheaper, lighter 342 in .38.

Re locks. There are several good videos on Youtube that show how to remove the components for the trigger lock. This procedure is totally reversible so the lock can be re-installed prior to resale or in case you need to send it to S&W for service. It takes about 10 minutes.

I like this video best. I've done this on friends J frames. I've not bothered to do this to mine. I keep meaning to but something is always more important.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVPYgohVCNM

The J frame is NOT for everyone. I've taught a lot of people to shoot and they almost always do better with a Kahr PM9. My personal opinion is that the J frame is one of the harder guns to shoot well, doubly so with the stock trigger. (and I'm not even dealing with a MA trigger)

So if you aren't going to practice, you are better off carrying something else. I've actually had great results with the Kahr P9 (not pm9) for many women clients. Its still very small, light and concealable, but the larger grip allows the use of your entire hand to hold the gun while the slightly longer barrel reduces flip. The trigger on this gun is very smooth and much lighter than a typical J frame. Finally, there is something magic about the way the plastic framed Kahr 9mms soak up recoil. Its pretty amazing.

just my .02

Last edited:
Whichever gun you pick, you'll have to practice with it.
My wife had a 442 and she found the trigger very difficult after about 20 rounds--tended to hurt her wrist and the heavy pull made accuracy irregular.
Recoils wasn't so much the issue.
I came across an LCR, and suggested she check it out. She bought a LCR, can practice with it due to a great trigger, and the accuracy is improved as a result.
Light weight, accurate, a great trigger and I inherited the 442.

I'm currently carrying a 1980 vintage Model #60, the triggers are a lot lighter and smoother on the older J-frames. I also have a very minty Model #36 of about the same age, but I prefer the stainless for daily carry. I've handled the LCR and was impressed by how light it was, I'd like to fire one to see how it handles. I have fired the Airweight J-frames but still prefer the stainless. BTW, the stock wood grips on both of mine just don't feel right so I went with the Uncle Mikes Boot grips, these makes a HUGE difference.

LCR wins this one hands down for me. It took me a while to bite the bullet and buy a DAO, but I'm glad I did, since in an emergency I'd most likely be shooting double action anyway.

I can shoot it a lot easier than the other snubbies I've shot (an airweight and an old Colt Agent).

If you want a pocket revolver, this is the one to get.

I have a 642. I love the gun, but as others said it can be tough to shoot. I am just now starting to become proficient with it, and I have owned it since April. I have never shot the Ruger, but honestly I don't think you could go wrong with eaither gun. I have 2 other Smith revolvers and I love them, so I stuck with Smith. I have laser grips that I added afterwards. I think they are a great tool on a small CCW. Note:t here are 3 different styles of CT laser grips avail for the Smith J frames. I prefer the model LG-405.

Who have Crimson Trace laser grips ?????? And would you recommend them ?????

I have CT on my 642 - this was packaged direct from SW not aftermarket add-on. Very comfortable in hand and the laser is just an added level of peace of mind. I have been very happy with this revolver as my carry. Yes the trigger was stiff but after working it and practice I have come to shoot it really well. I would highly recommend it to anyone with a build that just does not conceal well for most other guns. Of course the mouse guns are an option but the 642 still packs a decent bunch if push came to shove.

Who have Crimson Trace laser grips ?????? And would you recommend them ?????

I have the crimson trace grips on my 340 PD. I like them a lot.
We all practice to focus on the front sight. Thats the right thing to do. But I think that at anything more than contact range out to 10 yards or so, your natural human instinct is going to be to focus on the bad guy.
You won't know how you will react until you actually experience such a thing.

A friend of mine has the same CT laser I have, PLUS an AO/XS Sights big dot front sight. He says its like a belt and suspenders. Pretty funny actually.

So this is my 340 with the CT grips. They are the smallest (and incidentally least expensive) grips CT makes for the J frame. Further, the plastic is harder and less tacky than it is on the other
grips they make for the J frame. I think these are ideal for a pocket gun.

If I was carrying this gun in a holster, I'd get some of the larger grips.

Don
p.s. at night the dot stands out really really well.

DSC_4718-1.jpg

I didn't do it. A friend of mine did it to his 340.

He simply drilled out the small pin that holds the front sight blade in place.

The replacement sight comes with everything you need. I think it even came with a drill bit. It takes about 10 minutes to do. He got a big dot tritium.

I ended up going with the 642CT. Well built, shoot it well, and it conceals easily. Very happy...

Thanks for all of your recommendations, appreciate it.

Although both were very nice, in my opinion I felt it the S&W was a better built revolver. It has also been around a lot longer and has a great record... I also shot it well, and liked the laser grips. The Mass trigger whch many did not like, did not bother me at all... I actually prefer a harder pull. Are you considering a revolver???

Back
Top Bottom