S&W Introduces the new SHIELD EZ 30 SUPER CARRY in the new 30 SUPER CARRY Caliber

I knew all the macho he-men here would sneer at this pistol and its cartridge. But you aren't the target market. The firearm is designed for elderly and female users, many of whom are buying their first handgun. An easy operating pistol with low recoil, that shoots a much better round than the puny .380, is a very good choice for them.
Elderly and female users should be using 340 PDs.

1200fps with 115gr from a 3.675” barrel sounds an awful lot like 9mm luger.

If it gets another couple of rounds per magazine, it could be worthwhile for some. Not for any non-LEO in Massachusetts though.

If anybody wants the 357-Sig variant of 30 Super Carry, just get a 30 Luger barrel for your 9mm.
They're quoting $30 a box for fmj's.

I'll keep my 9mm thank you, even if the super carry's getting an extra inch of ballistic gel penetration.

The comments about availability and price point are spot on. If there is tons of availability of 30SC and no 9mm, then perhaps price is less important. But certainly if the availability is so-so and the price is stupid, this new caliber is going nowhere. At least for 10mm you are getting unquestionably superior ballistics (not that the average person needs that superiority), but going from 9mm to 30SC and getting a couple extra rounds?

I knew all the macho he-men here would sneer at this pistol and its cartridge. But you aren't the target market. The firearm is designed for elderly and female users, many of whom are buying their first handgun. An easy operating pistol with low recoil, that shoots a much better round than the puny .380, is a very good choice for them.

i am not sure about this. They could have easily marketed a .380+p or a 9mm -p.
a gun marketed for women that could shoot the up/down loaded cartridges as well as the standards.

offering a gun in an odd/ new caliber that no shop is going to stock after the initial run of guns. And a round that will be completely out of production probably faster than the pistol is discontinued is a loser.

are you going to suggest that granny starts sourcing Star Brass or go to old west scrounger for brass and take up reloading?

Good point, what is the state of the 357 sig these days? Still a competitor in the carry cartridge sweepstakes

In my 357 sig, for carry, I shoot Underwood ammo, speer bonded jhp 125 grain going about 1500 fps, 600 ft/lbs of energy. I would say as far a competitor....to 30 super gay. Not even close.

Last edited:
Bold move introducing a new caliber in today's ammo world.

View attachment 560642

Currently there are several manufacturers supporting the new caliber to include Speer, Federal, and Remington. For defensive ammunition, shooters have their choice of 115gr Speer Gold Dot, or Federal HST, and Remington HTP in 100gr loadings. Full metal jacket choices include Federal American Eagle and Remington UMC in 100gr loads, or Speer's Blazer Brass in 115gr loadings. Cases are straight walled from promotional images. Rumors say we should expect roughly 1,200FPS on average from 30 Super Carry.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCsVOO_3EUU

Lol on top of it all they still insulting consumers with 20 rd boxes of carry ammo. Here buy this new thing thats basically just a hot 380, and overpay for all the ammo too pls thx

[rofl]

Yeah this is beyond stupid IMO. They got some dumbass people working at Federal[laugh]
They ain't going to sell shit. Unless this ammo is super plentiful and cheap, no one is going to switch from their 9mm, 380 etc guns.🤦‍♂️

Maybe their theory is nobody will hoard the shit so people buying the guns ammo sales will be proportionate because its not as in demand.

Even if we pretended this wasnt a stupid idea I'm not seeing how this will be able to be cheaper than say, 380 even.

Lol but arent those people already better served by existing 380 and 9mm offerings? BTW in PF terms thats still operating at like 138PF so I am not seeing how they are going to get the
recoil much less than 9mm already is. So it's not going to cause any gains there. If you download it to make it squisihy you're back in 380 land.

"There is no free lunch".

About the only useful thing this does is ensure that nobody will be hoarding 30 Carry anytime soon.

Was thinking this might look like the .17 HMR.

Or maybe the .25 NAA or .32 NAA

Guess not.

They're quoting $30 a box for fmj's.

I'll keep my 9mm thank you, even if the super carry's getting an extra inch of ballistic gel penetration.

The benefit appears to be 15-20% increase in capacity while maintaining 9mm terminal ballistics rather than any increase in terminal ballistics. But I don’t see any meaningful benefit with the current guns being offered. I’ll wait until there’s an LCP sized gun, then I may give the caliber a try.

Last edited:
How flat/thin could you make a single stack with this round? Thinner than current 9mm offerings? That might be nice, though still maybe not worth it.

Maybe their theory is nobody will hoard the shit so people buying the guns ammo sales will be proportionate because its not as in demand.

Even if we pretended this wasnt a stupid idea I'm not seeing how this will be able to be cheaper than say, 380 even.
At the time...possibly....but now 9mm is readily avail.

New rounds always sell new guns (fudd rifle marketing) .....and the carry pistol market is way larger than that....so they figure a certain percentage of people might flip who already have guns, and then it may entice newbies by calling it super carry.

Most of us know its all dumb and just a marketing ploy.

If it gets some pressure off the 9mm market I guess there's that.

At the time...possibly....but now 9mm is readily avail.

Yeah, for now, until the next RetardPanic(TM) kicks up.

New rounds always sell new guns (fudd rifle marketing) .....and the carry pistol market is way larger than that....so they figure a certain percentage of people might flip who already have guns, and then it may entice newbies by calling it super carry.

Most of us know its all dumb and just a marketing ploy.

If it gets some pressure off the 9mm market I guess there's that.

Yes.... however it would have actually made sense, if they launched it.... a year ago... you know, to go with all those guns people were panic buying. [rofl] And at the time you had the best
group of buyers to sell into a product like that. A lot of that has evaporated.

How flat/thin could you make a single stack with this round? Thinner than current 9mm offerings? That might be nice, though still maybe not worth it.
It’s probably similar pressures to 9mm, so you’d be looking at shaving probably 0.08”-0.1” or thickness from the slide while gaining 1-2 additional rounds if you do a semi-double stack.

The EZ crowd aren’t the only target market. This new cartridge is meant as a 9mm competitor for everyone. It just so happens the EZ is one of only three handguns being chambered for it at its release.
View attachment 560689
View attachment 560690
View attachment 560691

How is 380 getting more expansion than 9mm here? Because of less penetration?

As for miracle 30...note sure it makes sense splitting 380/9mm hairs, but if it lives up to the hype, then a takeover for 380 wouldn't be terrible. Question there is if you still gain those 2 rounds vs 380.

It isn't a stupid idea. The 20% room savings
puts the shield plus at like 15ish round capacity
A fillsize frame at around 20-21
A 140mm mag at around 28 rounds
And a pdw magazine somewhere in the mid 40s
I see a use for this.

Could I jam enough powder in the case to make major....hmm

In my 357 sig, for carry, I shoot Underwood ammo, speer bonded jhp 125 grain going about 1500 fps, 600 ft/lbs of energy. I would say as far a competitor....to 30 super gay. Not even close.
This. 357sig from a G33..... if you miss the perp you'll definitely singe his eyebrows and light his hair on fire

Flippin SWEET ! I wanna load up some fat 220 gr .308 spitzers and see how they slap a gong

*edit : Interesting specs say its a .312 bullet so that going to be a prepriatary projectile, the old .30 Carbine / .30 Herett .308 dia bullets won't work (or you can try but they will rattle all the way down the barrel)

Last edited:
The comments about availability and price point are spot on. If there is tons of availability of 30SC and no 9mm, then perhaps price is less important. But certainly if the availability is so-so and the price is stupid, this new caliber is going nowhere. At least for 10mm you are getting unquestionably superior ballistics (not that the average person needs that superiority), but going from 9mm to 30SC and getting a couple extra rounds?

It isn't a stupid idea. The 20% room savings
puts the shield plus at like 15ish round capacity
A fillsize frame at around 20-21
A 140mm mag at around 28 rounds
And a pdw magazine somewhere in the mid 40s
I see a use for this.
And back down to 10rds. in MA, CT, NY, NJ, CA, HI, MD etc. No advantage.

Yeah, for now, until the next RetardPanic(TM) kicks up.

Yes.... however it would have actually made sense, if they launched it.... a year ago... you know, to go with all those guns people were panic buying. [rofl] And at the time you had the best
group of buyers to sell into a product like that. A lot of that has evaporated.
Your right there. They missed the boat. Every newbie would have been walking into gun stores asking if they had the new 30 super gay.

Back
Top Bottom