S&W Ipsc Match this past weekend, Who else shot it?

Just curious who else on the board was in attendence this past weekend for the IPSC match at S&W?

Would like to disscuss the match with others that were there.

I was there! I was there for the ICORE match on Sat too.

I will say, Sundays IPSC match was not the best.

6" plate rack at 26 yards is just too much. On top of shooting Texas stars ( one infront of the other ) at 20 yards.

Not enough thought went into this match at all.

Please dont get me wrong, All the people who put the match on and help out get my 100% two thumbs up.

I skipped it. I never shoot well there and I needed a rest from that drive.

I don't mind long distance plates (with an open gun) but the two stars at distance... ouch.

Thats what I wanted to talk about. This was a very challenging match. The 2 racks of 8" plates at 25 yards were indeed tough. The twin texas stars back to back (one in front of the other) at 25 yards was also amusing. I thought this match was a great lesson in trigger control and sight picture. I think the hardest part of the whole thing was the lack of lighting. Guys like me who were shooting iron sights really had a hard time with those two stages.

I didnt mind the challenge, I was just curious how others wound up on those two stages.

The texas star stage: 28 seconds

The 23 steel plates and one paper : 69 seconds with two A's on the paper.

Anybody else?

I was there, I was there!!
It's not lack of lighting, it's lighting location. Lights behind you wash out the front sight, even with sight black. I'm still fudging with the right glasses to see the front sight......I told my eye doctor that I wanted my old eyes back, not to have my eyes old! Texas star stage, 38 seconds....have to wail on the mag! Steel Jungle, 78 seconds....or was it 3 turns of the egg timer....:)

Steve,
Shooting tough matches only make you better! Or more discouraged....... I've driven out there for so many years it's not a bother for me. But, it's also less time than some drives to or from work!

Dan S said:
Steve,
Shooting tough matches only make you better! Or more discouraged....... I've driven out there for so many years it's not a bother for me. But, it's also less time than some drives to or from work!

I wasn't discouraged, I would have loved those long plates actually. I just needed a change and played with cars all day. Now I'm refreshed and I've been shooting every lunch break this week to be ready for the next match.

I guess I'm spoiled, I live 2 minutes from the range and 12 minutes from work.

Steve- don't guess you're spoiled, you are spoiled.

25 yard plate rack and 20 yard texas stars?
Great way to discourage beginners from coming back and trying again.

A match shouldn't be dumbed down and made simple for everyone, but it should be shootable for all skill levels so that one stage, or two, doesn't destroy a match for the majority of competitors. I can see placing a couple of targets at that distance, but a complete plate rack? In poorly lit S&W?
that's just mean.

+1 for what Matt just said. That is exactlly what I am talking about.

I was ROing my squad and found some of the newer shooters were having a real hard time with the star stage and steel stage.

There was one guy who went through 6 mags ( production )
aveage round count was 40-45 rounds fired. ( steel stage )

Being that the match had these two stages, the match went a lot longer than usuall. I don't think we finished shooting till 2:30pm.

I know if i was a newbie, this would be a total turn off.

For those not there,

( stage 3 )
There were 2 Texas stars one in front of the other with 2 10" plates ( I beleive ) On each side of the stars. Approx 18-20 yards.

( stage 5 )
23 pieces of knock down steel, 1 USPSA paper target.
2 plate racks, 8 mini popers, 4 full size classic popers, from shooting line to first target was 25 yards. paper was at approx 28-30 yards out.

hdgun said:
For those not there,

( stage 3 )
There were 2 Texas stars one in front of the other with 2 10" plates ( I beleive ) On each side of the stars. Approx 18-20 yards.

( stage 5 )
23 pieces of knock down steel, 1 USPSA paper target.
2 plate racks, 8 mini popers, 4 full size classic popers, from shooting line to first target was 25 yards. paper was at approx 28-30 yards out.

Sounds revolver friendly [twisted] but seriously, were the stars set same as Saturday?

Some never see these targets at their home club and that makes them very intimidating to thos of us that shoot with iron sights.

New shooters need to be told up front that this is not the norm and they need to come to other clubs too. I know I used to find it discouraging at some of these matches but finally got it into my head that I just need to shoot my six shot game and have fun.

regards,

38supermatt said:
Steve- don't guess you're spoiled, you are spoiled.
Spoiled? Ok, you are driving to NY this year. I'm watching movies.

How many shooters came to the match on Super Bowl Sunday? That might have played a part in making the stages pretty tough for the die hards. As long as they were shot under the same conditions for all shooters, you know everyone will have had a tough time.

There were quite a few shooters there. I bet its over 60.

Steve, the squad I was on had a bunch of shooters show up who havent been around in a long time.

Mark Mazzotta
Russ James
Debbie James
Tom Calandra
Bob Longo
Dave Trahan
Ken Reufert
Mike Jay

It was like an old time reunion.

Back to the steel stages. I watched as some of the guys shooting L10 and Production go through magazine after magazine after magazine trying to get through those two stages. Some had to quit the stage due to running out of ammo.
I didnt mind the challenge and it was infact the same for everybody. I just wish the lighting had been better suited for the difficulty of the stages.

This had nothing to do with football or any thing else. It was a bad match.

Steve, there is nothing wrong with a challenging stage or two or having a match with a lot of stand and shoot stages.

I have been doing this for a long time, like most. I know the Westfield crew can put on some really crazy matches and thats why I like shooting there club.

But Sunday was just too much.

you have to draw a line between chalenging and stupid.

Matt,
I believe the Texas Stars were at 25 yards also. I agree that matches should be mostly doable for everyone. Particularly if you ever want to see the newer shooters again.
I was on the squad with Hal, and the folks he listed are experienced shooters, just not current. One of them that still shoots IDPA pretty regularly, brought 200 rounds of ammo, had to borrow a few rounds, and still didn't get all the steel, either on the stars or steel jungle. Difficult lighting, and middle age eyes were factors.

I believe the Texas Stars were at 25 yards also.

Thanks Dan

I was triing to be optimistic in saying 18-20 yards.

I thought the match was good ...well with the exception of the RO on my squad...just kidding Johhny [lol] .

In all seriousness, the two steel stages with a dot were challenging and
I usually very much enjoy shooting steel.

IPSC is a balance of speed and accuracy (well that's what they tell me..). Those two stages were more about accuracy and knowing where your shots hit a 25yards.

I could not imagine shooting this with iron sights indoors at S&W.
I did feel bad for the stock/limited shooters - most of the shooters I saw struggled and a lot of ammo was shot.

Do I feel that new shooters would be discouraged after shooting these two stages - yes.

Could these stages or should these stages have been setup differently - maybe - Am I complaining? - not at all.

Paul

You are right Paul, at least for the guys shooting open.

We as open shooters did not feel or see the frustration the the Iron sighted guys went through.

Shooting this game with an open gun is soooooo differant than with iron sights.

At least in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with targets out to 25 yards,
But a whole stage!!! or two for that matter.

As ROing the stage,I felt the frustration of every shooter.

BTW Paul, Thanks for the congrats

One of the other shooters on my squad, won't shoot at S&W in limited. He just brings out one of his open guns for the indoor matches. By the way, he's a grand master, and he shook his head when he saw stage 5. He hosed everyone anyway!
I sold my hicap open guns when I got tired of it in the mid 90's, but, after Sunday, the idea of even a 40 with a dot might not be such a bad idea.

Hmmm...Hey Dan, would you be interested in building me a new open blaster with a dot? Can we still buy 9x21 barrels and brass? Maybe I need to start looking into 9mm major.............. [twisted]

9x19 not 21. We don't need 9x21 anymore. Why pay $100.00 per 1000 for brass? Once fired 9x19 is cheap. Fire and forget, kinda like some of the missles that military uses. Besides, you get one of those toys and you'll get serious again:)

You're right Dan, I dont have the time to get serious at this game again. I'm having fun doing what I'm doing as it is. See, I got that thought right out of my mind. Wont think about it again.............. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom