• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W not slected for Military Contract

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Didn't see this so hopefully not a dupe.

Would seem that S&W's M&P was not selected by the military to continue as an option to replace their aging Beretta inventory. S&W stock took a tumble after the news broke. Would seem that Glock did make it to the next level, which would be interesting if they were selected. How could our AG say they are not safe if our military is purchasing them.....

https://flipboard.com/@flipboard/fl...-loses-army-bid-/f-180c837cd4/foxbusiness.com

Would seem that Glock did make it to the next level, which would be interesting if they were selected. How could our AG say they are not safe if our military is purchasing them...

Moonbats don't do logic... it's all about "feelings" [rolleyes]

Personally, I like my M&P more than the Glocks.

So, can we just call them Ps, now?
I still fall for it every now and then when I see M&P in the classifieds, and see a semi auto. Sorry, M&Ps to me are pre Model 10s.

Anyone watch military arms channel's torture test of the m&p? It was only a sample size of 1 but the m&p he had performed very poorly.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

So, can we just call them Ps, now?
I still fall for it every now and then when I see M&P in the classifieds, and see a semi auto. Sorry, M&Ps to me are pre Model 10s.

It's used by militarys. Not our military, but other militarys. Mostly looks like people we've equipped in the last 15 years in certain, sandbox-like countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_&_Wesson_M&P#Users

perhaps .mil watched MAC's most recent M&P torture test. less than stellar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regardless of actual or perceived impact, it was pretty dumb to do a reliability torture test on a pistol with non stock parts.

agree. he should repeat it with a bone stock M&P. that being said, there is no logical explanation for how a trigger could cause the observed issues. it doesn't change the movement or location of the trigger bar. the apex sear does that, and he is running a stock sear.

personally i put almost no stock in these torture tests. i am not an operator. i live a boring suburban life. but still fun to watch and poke fun when the pistol shuts down. I also throw some props to Tim at MAC for actually doing these. he takes a lot of heat for it. people get VERY butthurt when their favorite "princess" pistol comes up short. reading the comments is rather humorous.

I would think the US military should be buying guns from a US manufacturer. I dont get it.

I agree with this on some level. But at the end of the day as long as our military has the most reliable weapon...that would be more important to me. I don't care what they carry or kill the enemy with as long as they kill the enemy and it's not the other way around.

This whole test is a massive waste of tax payer dollars. Either keep the M9 or switch to the G-Lock 17, which does not require any testing at all because it has a 30 year track record already established.

Pistols are kinda stupid in the military any ways. The people issued them rarely if ever use them, they mostly just wear them around the FOB to chow three times a day. They're also the least capable small arm that receives the least amount of training and focus on, and rightly so. The one time I used a pistol in Iraq was to take a detainee to take a piss.

I would think the US military should be buying guns from a US manufacturer. I dont get it.

Think about it for a minute - who makes pistols in the US?

Glock's biggest production facility is in Georgia, not Austria
FN makes machine guns and rifles in South Carolina
S&W makes guns in Mass and other places
1911s can be made from imported parts, like Taiwanese or Canadian castings
SIG has a huge plant in New Hampshire
Remington makes their guns in a variety of plants in the US
CZ-USA is based in Kansas City and has an operating plant
Beretta moved to Tennessee
Browning makes their guns in Portugal or Japan but is HQed in Ogden and Montreal

The only big pistol company that isn't somehow making guns in the US is H&K. And I doubt H&K is getting any US contracts due to their issues in Germany with them selling guns to drug lords and how their main battle rifle isn't preforming up to expectations. On top of that, "American" brands aren't always 100% American.

Think about it for a minute - who makes pistols in the US?

Glock's biggest production facility is in Georgia, not Austria
FN makes machine guns and rifles in South Carolina
S&W makes guns in Mass and other places
1911s can be made from imported parts, like Taiwanese or Canadian castings
SIG has a huge plant in New Hampshire
Remington makes their guns in a variety of plants in the US
CZ-USA is based in Kansas City and has an operating plant
Beretta moved to Tennessee
Browning makes their guns in Portugal or Japan but is HQed in Ogden and Montreal

The only big pistol company that isn't somehow making guns in the US is H&K. And I doubt H&K is getting any US contracts due to their issues in Germany with them selling guns to drug lords and how their main battle rifle isn't preforming up to expectations. On top of that, "American" brands aren't always 100% American.
I realize that but the money ends up back in the home country.

And that's why Colt and S&W went against us, consumer gun owners, in the 1990s. Both companies had been almost totally reliant on M&P sales until Glocks became popular in the 90s. Things like the S&W revolver lock are against the interest of consumers. At one time, S&W was owned by the British and Colt wasn't making anything for consumers besides 1911s, SAO revolvers and ARs. Colt's stock is at $0.08 p/share as of right now. S&W's is at $25.83 p/share. Compare that to Ruger, who gets most of their money from consumers and a few police contracts - $56.92 as of 10:26am, 9/28/2016.

If an American company can make a product that satisfies the military, it should be adopted because its the best product for our military, not just to keep money invested in a couple companies that would fail without government money.

That's cute but that ship sailed a long time ago. I mean american companies can even have foreign investors. A lot of times if the contract is big enough the vendor will build a US
plant to manuf the stuff or at least assemble it here.

Not that any of this matters anyways, because I doubt the DOD will be buying a handgun, they've only pulled this thing like 48 times now. I'll believe it when I see troops firing a P320, Glock, or whatever it happens to
be. Not a moment before.

-Mike

Beretta is Italian and they've had the contract for years. They just made them build a factory in the US. Uncle Sam could give a shit where the $ goes.

Doesn't HK have a factory in Georgia? They also won the lawsuit about the G36's performance.

Back
Top Bottom