S&W Shooting Sports Center in Springfield?

Has anyone ever gone to the S&W Shooting Sports Center in Springfield and used their "try-a-gun" service or bought a gun there?
I was thinking of picking up a Model SW1911PD w/ Tactical Rail and wanted to try one out first.
Also, do they sell at full retail there?
Thanks for any info.
Craig

I've shot there many times and I've rented a few guns from them to shoot while I was there. Thiereprices are lower than MSRP, but you can find better prices at most of the local shops east of springfield. From my experience, handguns cost a little more west of springfield.

It is a very nice range and I have always had pleasent experiences there, and been treated with respect.

Good luck!!!!

I rented a model 520 from them when I was out there once to try it out before making a buying decision. Nice 25 yard range open to the public, they have almost every SW firearm available for trying out including the M&Ps which aren't Mass compliant yet.

Prices are alright, comparable to most gun shops IMO, and their prices on used S&Ws are pretty good, except they have a fairly small selection of those compared to new guns. Anything they don't have in stock they can order (obviously) and have within a day.

It's a great place to try out S&W's. Nice range. You can try several guns. The fee's are reasonable. They may not charge you if you buy the gun from them, which may negate the savings if you buy from someone else. Not sure. Call around to get prices before you go. Expect to spend $30-50 on rentals.

Has anyone ever gone to the S&W Shooting Sports Center in Springfield and used their "try-a-gun" service or bought a gun there?
I was thinking of picking up a Model SW1911PD w/ Tactical Rail and wanted to try one out first.
Also, do they sell at full retail there?
Thanks for any info.
Craig

This would be the weekend to go. 20% to 40% off retail on handguns. 10-6, 7,8,&9. 20% off holsters, grips and mags

has to be the weekend before my dental admissions exam... and the same week i bought a used (albeit not much) 520 from Four Seasons...

Oh well, I'm guessing the 20-40% off retail is based on the MSRP. If it isn't, I'm going to kick myself repeatedly in the nads.

Nice range. I've rented there several times as well. The people behind the counter are generally helpful and knowledgeable.

They recently started selling some of their used range guns at discounts too.

I think their new gun prices are very high. I looked at the gun you want to get and compared that specifically to a shop by me - Ware Gun Shop. They had the same gun for over $100 less than S & W.

Look on gun broker:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=57873738

and

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=57876759

One thing no one mentioned

If you rent a gun to try it out and then decided to buy one they deduct the $25 off the cost of the gun. You can't beat that. I they also still give you a couple of months of free range use if you buy

I was a member of that range a few years ago. Very nice place to shoot. Very professional people behind the counter and a great selection of S&W handguns to rent if you want. In addition to the eye and ear protection they make you wear a hat, so if you go bring your own. Otherwise they give you a pretty cheap painters type cap to wear. The only thing you can't rent is the S&W 500. The backstop will take it, but not the roof. Not sure if they have the same restriction on the 460 though.

A great place to visit, at least once and rent a few Smith handguns to try out. I have gone there a few times to rent guns I was interested in before deciding on purchasing it. Rental Fee is reasonable at $27 per gun plus the cost of ammo. Take into account that it is a full fledge shooting center with members so at times it can become busy especially after 4pm on weekdays and on weekends. The modern indoor, well lit range has target holders that move at the push of a button at preset stops, has good ventilation, and at least 20 shooting stations. The down side is that the range officers are pretty strict, so no double taps, fast shooting of any kind, or hip shooting. Also it can become very loud in the range with 20+ people shooting at once so double up on the hearing protection. There are also tend to be alot of newbie shooter since they allow non licensed people in to shoot.

The gun shop has knowlegable staff but the prices are not full retail but still very high. During the sales events the prices are more inline with regular gun store prices. Ware and Four seasons are alot cheaper than the S&W store, especially during Smith & Wesson days.

Last edited:
SW store prices are actually comparable to FS. FS quoted me 600 on a new gun that S&W had for 580. They also offer memberships with the purchase of a gun.

Also, try a gun includes a box of ammo for the 26.95.

trying it

If your out there to buy a gun and are looking at several and want to shoot
one or more than one they will put you on the range with them at no
cost to you.... They did it for me 2 weeks ago when they had their sale.

I would avoid gunbroker or other auctions (IMHO) the prices plus shipping,
plus transfer accelerate the cost beyond what you might be able to buy locally. With auction guns your not allowed to shoot them.

my 2 cents

JimB

The only thing you can't rent is the S&W 500. The backstop will take it, but not the roof.
This is incorrect. I rented and shot a 500 about a month ago.

I was working in Springfield so I grabbed a membership, worth every penny. The staff is great, the facilities are great, and even when crowded the line is spacious.

If you live a bit West it is worth looking at, if you are out here stop in and try some guns. Also a great place to go regularly as the folks behind the counter have a wealth of knowledge and they will give you straight answers.

This is incorrect. I rented and shot a 500 about a month ago.

I was working in Springfield so I grabbed a membership, worth every penny. The staff is great, the facilities are great, and even when crowded the line is spacious.

If you live a bit West it is worth looking at, if you are out here stop in and try some guns. Also a great place to go regularly as the folks behind the counter have a wealth of knowledge and they will give you straight answers.

That's great. I haven't been there since the beginning of the year and they wouldn't let us shoot it at that time for the reason I stated. I was disapointed because I was actually thinking of buying one and wanted to shoot it first. Bought it anyway though. [smile]

I was disapointed because I was actually thinking of buying one and wanted to shoot it first. Bought it anyway though. [smile]
The guy behind the counter seemed let down that I didn't want to buy one. Maybe some day, maybe some day.

Back
Top Bottom