SABOT SLUG IN RIFLED BARRELS

Ok who is shooting what slugs in rifled barrels and having great results.

Have a rifled barrel 20ga looking for my best options in sabot rounds

I have tried:
Remington solid coppers- shot well
Winchester dual bond- all over the place
Winchester (rifled slugs)- large group
Remington sluggers (rifle slugs)-large group

Haven't found many options locally and have found them to be priced high.
Trying to narrow the field a bit and not spend so much time and money just finding and purchasing different brands and configurations.

Have read lots of reviews, but still not sure which direction to head.
Read that the Lightfields? hybrid slugs work well in rifled barrels

Any info would be appreciated

THANKS
DOWNWIND

Ive found every barrel is different. Both my 20 g rifles barrels actually do fine out to 75 yards with cheapo rifled slugs. One like remy slugger the other likes federal power shocks. I use iron sights on both barrels. Sabots are a waste of money if you are not using a scope imo. The extra accuracy of a sabot is lost as the irons limit you to under 100 yards anyway.

my 12 gauge 24" mosberg barrel for the remington like Federal copper sabots, my NEF 20 Gauge likes the Remington copper solid, I have taken deer with both they dropped on the spot

Been down this road before with a mossberg 500 and remember reading something about how the twist rate of the barrel should push you towards faster or slower rounds. I ended up avoiding the rounds on the high end and got good accuracy. I have no idea whether this was just coincidence or not but it worked for me.

I've actually held some pretty good groups with cheapo depot Remington sluggers and Winchester super x rifled slugs out of a 22" smooth bore with an IC choke. I hit a 1" bullseye 3x from somewhere between 50 and 75yds with the super x last week, and it's $12.37 a box at WalMart! Buy more and practice more, that will probably improve your accuracy better than any different slug out there.

Remington accutip out of my 12 gauge 870. I also outfitted it with a leupold 2x7 and a Boyd laminated thumb hole stock. I always try to shoot off a bipod. Took a deer 2 yrs ago at 125 yds

I would not use a rifled slug in a rifled barrel.

I normally shoot 3.5" remington copper solid sabot from my Mossberg 24" rifled pump gun.
Tight groups at 100 yards.

When the hit a deer, it shuts them down like a light switch.

For a rifled barrels I use these sabots and get great results.
12 GA SST 300 GR FTX SLUG

I wouldn't use a rifled slug in a rifled barrel. They are for smooth bores.

Hornady SST grouped well @ 100yds, out of my Mossberg slug barrel. Slugs are comparatively slow, so having the gun well stabilized aided me when zeroing the scope.

Back
Top Bottom