Sagamore Hill

I've lived near the canal for over 24 years and I had never even heard of that! Hell, I even did an internship with the Army Corps of Engineers, and still never heard of it. Very cool.

I can see that area from my front window. It's overgrown and overdeveloped.
The round concrete pad from the old howitser is still there and the only thing left, it was there when I was a kid but probably burried under tons of pucker-brush by now.

There are two ready rooms that you can see as you approach the top of the hill. There's one concrete pad where one of the guns was on the right side just before the top of the hill, then if you go over to the other side, there's another emplacement.

The brush is getting a bit out of hand, but it's still an easy hike to the top.

A year or two ago we saw a big white/light gray coyote on the other side of the hill by the 2nd gun emplacement, so I'm hoping if we get in before dusk and try our hand at some calling, we might get one of the beasts to come in to shotgun range.

ETA: there are also 2 other ready rooms on the back side of the hill, but they've been overgrown with vegetation. It's a neat place, I like going up there.

Last edited:
Pictures

My Dad and brother went for a walk up the Hill the other day and my Dad took a few pictures. What a coincidence!! [laugh]

My brother standing in front of the ready rooms
DennisatRR.jpg

One of the gun emplacements
GunEmplacement.jpg

The ready rooms on the back side that got overgrown
OvergrownRR.jpg

I had to work that day so I didn't get to go.

Back
Top Bottom