SBR conundrum

SnakeEye

Banned
hello all,
I have bought several preban AR's over the last couple months, one of which I'm I'm the process of completing the paperwork to register as an SBR.
My issue is with stating the barell length and caliber both on the app and the eventual engraving.
my build consists of a lewis machine & tool monolith upper with the quick change barrel system. As such at any given time I could have a 14" 6.8 barrel or a 10" 5.56 etc etc..
The purpose of the form 1 is to register the rifle (lower reciever)right? Not the barell(s)..
So do I put multiple calibers and lenghts on the app and eventual engraving, or should I just pick one lenght (probobly the shortest) and caliber and not worry about it?
Thank you

You don't need to engrave the caliber on the lower for NFA. Just your name (or trust/corporation name) and location is necessary.

Thanks, Scriv jr. [laugh]

-Mike

It is amazing how he always said what others were thinking... Others are starting to become grammar/spelling nazis in his absence too.

More on topic, when you have something like an AR where barrel swaps are trivial, can the lower be used for other uppers that are not SBRs? Can you cross register (ie; register a lower as an SBR with one upper, and AOW with another upper)? Is the lower transferable after you do it up as an SBR?

hello all,
I have bought several preban AR's over the last couple months, one of which I'm I'm the process of completing the paperwork to register as an SBR.
My issue is with stating the barell length and caliber both on the app and the eventual engraving.
my build consists of a lewis machine & tool monolith upper with the quick change barrel system. As such at any given time I could have a 14" 6.8 barrel or a 10" 5.56 etc etc..
The purpose of the form 1 is to register the rifle (lower reciever)right? Not the barell(s)..
So do I put multiple calibers and lenghts on the app and eventual engraving, or should I just pick one lenght (probobly the shortest) and caliber and not worry about it?
Thank you

Actually, when it comes to NFA, you're registering the whole assembled firearm. That's why you can't buy an SBR lower. It can't be an SBR until its a whole rifle. You need to engrave your name and city, state. The caliber is already on the lower. When you fill out the Form 1, use the lengths that you will generally have the gun configured in. You can temporarily reconfigure your SBR with any barrel length and caliber you choose.

More on topic, when you have something like an AR where barrel swaps are trivial, can the lower be used for other uppers that are not SBRs? Can you cross register (ie; register a lower as an SBR with one upper, and AOW with another upper)? Is the lower transferable after you do it up as an SBR?

Sure the lower can be used with long uppers, however, the whole firearm is still regulated as an NFA item, even if it has a long upper on it.

There is some debate about wether you can register a firearm as both an SBR and an AOW. Most of that debate is in regards to using a SBR registered firearm in a operational briefcase. (A firearm in an operational briefcase needs to be an AOW or MG(which trumps all), because its considered a covert weapon while its in the briefcase.) I assume your asking because you'd like to run an AR without a stock and with a forward pistol grip, but have the option of using a stock. You can do that with an SBR. From 26 USC 5845(a)(4)...

(4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length

Your SBR temporarily reconfigured without a stock would still fall under the definition of a SBR.

The lower can be transfered in 2 ways. First, you could remove the SBR from the registry, and sell it as a normal Title I firearm. Or, you can sell it as a SBR, but it will cost the buyer $200 in transfer tax, and maybe $400 if it has to go through a dealer in another state.

--EasyD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom