SBR-ing, and Pre-Ban 'Proof'

Allllll-righty.....

Just got off the phone with Diedre at DESPP, she was very helpful. Some very good news, and surprising too.

First the good news.....both my EA and Olympic lowers will be fine, as the screen cap from the EA website will suffice as proof from manufacturer, but also they are familiar with the Olympic Arms receivers and have records there for serial matching as well. So I'm thinking I want to SBR the Oly since I want to keep my EA the way it is and not engrave, etc. Oly's aren't the greatest quality but this one is at least forged.

But here's the kicker....and DON you're going to love this. I indeed DO have to fill out the DPS-414-C that I posted above (!!). Yes, they are actually repurposing the assault weapon certificate of ownership previously only reserved for post-ban serials and only if you did it before 01/01/2014. I guess since this is a special circumstance as requested by ATF, the state is just using what they had before so they don't have to come up with a whole new form or what have you.

Crazy! But that's what it is...straight from the person who handles it. I have to mail this in since they're closing the office to people coming in except for those with appointments. Need to also get some thumbprints I guess from local police...or do I do it with the notary public when I get it signed? So good thing I was able to get through. Even though most gun store are closed today, it took a while with a lot of redialing and waiting on my land line.

So....good news, but more importantly, now we know for sure what's needed and what needs to be filled out. Maybe should include this as a sticky or something. Man I need a drink!

Last edited:
That's insanity.

But I think you said it correctly. They are repurposing the form. They aren't using it for its original intent which was to register guns made after the 94 ban that were magically turned into AWs by PA13-3. They aren't re-starting the process defined in the law.

Its insanity. Really. But then again, I shouldn't be surprised.

Do you at least get to redline the part where you attest to having purchased it by 4/4/13? Ha.

After all that....it turned out to actually be true! :p Just.....weird. And yeah it still says on the actual form that I'm submitting, 'proof that it was purchased before 04/04/2013'!

I dunno, but Diedre seemed really cool about it, and I'll be mailing it in directly to her attention, so she'll know we talked about it. I think I am going to do the EA, and include both the link in my cover letter as well as printed screen grabs. I don't see anything about a fee, so I guess there is none. At the end of the day I'm just glad I can do this.

Of course, who knows what other surprises ATF have yet to pull, right? Fun times.

Last edited:
Not a bad idea, actually......

....but as I mentioned before, %$#@ them (the ATF actually) for having me agree to the nomenclature....even though it's the state's nomenclature....which they say I don't need to call it, but the ATF needs me to.......WTF...?!!!

Last edited:
So just an update, my 414 application was delivered to DESPP on 8/6 and still haven't received anything back. Maybe they're swamped wth them. Was going to call and inquire, but probably best to wait until Monday.

Still waiting for the 414!!

In earlier days I guess you could just take it in and get it approved same day. From what I've heard they are swamped with paperwork. I worry that with possible impending ATF rulings, what should normally take just a few weeks to SBR will take most of the year, at the very least!

FINALLY....!!

Got my AW Cert. back in the mail, uploaded to my eForm 1 application, paid and submitted. Hope it will take less than a month!

maxresdefault.jpg

YES SIR!!

Got the email this morning with the approved tax stamp attached!!

I wasn't expecting until at least next week or later, but this was 14 business days after my prints were delivered (18 from application submission date)!

All said and done this was a pretty quick turnaround, and thankfully so as well. With the possible rulings on braces looming, figure millions of people will be SBR'ing their stuff if it happens, and luckily there was still a way to do this in this friggin' state. A HUGE relief on my part, also really opens up options for suppressed builds.

I'm really surprised it was this quick.

Thanks again for all those who responded.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom