• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SBR process questions

I have read the SBR threads on this forum and they have a lot of good info. I still have a few questions I hope you can help me with:

1. What is CLEO? Is that state police? Is there a general name/number/address I can use when filling out eForm?
  2. According to eForm instructions, fingerprints can be submitted digitally using EFT file. Is that something that any PD can do or do I need to go to the State Police? How can I get EFT file version of my fingerprints?
  3. After receiving approval, the lower needs to be engraved. Where can I get something like that done? Can I take it to a local FFL? What's the typical cost of this service?

1. cleo is chief law enforcement officer, my town it's the chief of police of the town
2. I do my own prints and mail them in, you find places that will handle the electronic ones, tho i've never done this
3. Jim @EddieCoyle at the Mill does engraving, forget the fee but it's not expensive and he'll do a great job and keep it as hidden as legal

Assuming you are in MA the CLEO is the chief of the MA State Troopers, not your town chief. Get your finger prints done electronically and use the eForms, so much easier, you can simply attach them to the eForm. Go to Dean Safety, they can do your prints electronically. .gov already have a file on us, so who cares. As mentioned Jim can do the engraving. Keep in mind the new MA CLEO wants a one liner in your description stating that your SBR will comply with all MA silly black gun laws. It’s total BS but I heard a few got held up at the MA level, however, the MA involvement is just a rubber stamp process. My last one got approved in 6 days!

1. cleo is chief law enforcement officer, my town it's the chief of police of the town
2. I do my own prints and mail them in, you find places that will handle the electronic ones, tho i've never done this
3. Jim @EddieCoyle at the Mill does engraving, forget the fee but it's not expensive and he'll do a great job and keep it as hidden as legal
1. CLEO is one of 4 people. Local chief/superintendent of police, county sherif, Superintendent of MSP (currently a LT COL is acting but permanent position is a COL), or the AG. All four are valid options. We always send to MSP. The previous COL would return them to sender saying he did not want them which was perfect. proof of delivery :)

2. Get electronic prints done. If you upload the EFT file (prints) then you have nothing to mail to the ATF. We are seeing approvals as short as 36 hours. If you have to mail in your prints then you print the cover letter supplied when you complete the form and mail in prints. They can get lost. It adds risk and time.

3. Yes, use Jim.

Thank you everyone for such in-depth and to the point answers! I hope you don’t mind if I ask a follow-up:

1) If I use Sate police on the form, is this the correct person and address?
Colonel Jack Mawn
470 Worcester Road,
Framingham, MA 01702

2) I am unclear on why and what to send to the CLEO. Do I mail the print out of From 1 before or after it’s submitted? Is there another form or letter that I need to submit? Do I need to provide proof of delivery on eForm 1 before submission?

Assuming you are in MA the CLEO is the chief of the MA State Troopers, not your town chief. Get your finger prints done electronically and use the eForms, so much easier, you can simply attach them to the eForm. Go to Dean Safety, they can do your prints electronically. .gov already have a file on us, so who cares. As mentioned Jim can do the engraving. Keep in mind the new MA CLEO wants a one liner in your description stating that your SBR will comply with all MA silly black gun laws. It’s total BS but I heard a few got held up at the MA level, however, the MA involvement is just a rubber stamp process. My last one got approved in 6 days!
Mine got approved and I sent it to my police chief in town 🤷🏻‍♂️

Thank you everyone for such in-depth and to the point answers! I hope you don’t mind if I ask a follow-up:

1) If I use Sate police on the form, is this the correct person and address?
Colonel Jack Mawn
470 Worcester Road,
Framingham, MA 01702

2) I am unclear on why and what to send to the CLEO. Do I mail the print out of From 1 before or after it’s submitted? Is there another form or letter that I need to submit? Do I need to provide proof of delivery on eForm 1 before submission?
1. It’s Lieutenant Colonel, but otherwise yes. It is commonly abbreviated as Lt. Col.

2. You will receive a “CLEO copy” of your completed and submitted eForm that you can send to the CLEO.

Incorrect
Assuming you are in MA the CLEO is the chief of the MA State Troopers, not your town chief. …
Incorrect
1. CLEO is one of 4 people. Local chief/superintendent of police, county sherif, Superintendent of MSP (currently a LT COL is acting but permanent position is a COL), or the AG. All four are valid options. We always send to MSP. The previous COL would return them to sender saying he did not want them which was perfect. proof of delivery :)

Correct, though there has been at least one person recently with the new COL, where the MSP told the ATF to deny his SP5 Form 1 for AWB reasons.

the CLEO being my local chief isn't incorrect lol, he's one of 4 I could have used, as outlined by randy who you also quoted as correct lol
I just see this discrepancy leading to 50 more "how do SBR" posts in the near future hah
It's probably more accurate to say it's incomplete. That is, making statements that any one seat represents the CLEO without noting the other three options doesn't paint the full picture.

Correct, though there has been at least one person recently with the new COL, where the MSP told the ATF to deny his SP5 Form 1 for AWB reasons.

The previous superintendent of MSP would return your Form 1 notifications as "unwanted" which of course is perfect because it provides free proof of delivery

The current interim superintendent has taken a different approach. From what we can tell they have been forwarding these to the local chief of police and otherwise scrutinizing them. They seem unaware that they are being provided notification and not being asked to comment or approve, but I digress.

Yes there was a recent case of an erroneous assertion made by law enforcement in MA to the ATF regarding an already approved form 1. That was successfully resolved and both parties should now be more informed about procedure and reality. The ATF inspector was new at the job. The MA law enforcement individual was also new at the job.

I would not anticipate a repeat of this previous scenario.

The previous superintendent of MSP would return your Form 1 notifications as "unwanted" which of course is perfect because it provides free proof of delivery

The current interim superintendent has taken a different approach. From what we can tell they have been forwarding these to the local chief of police and otherwise scrutinizing them. They seem unaware that they are being provided notification and not being asked to comment or approve, but I digress.

Yes there was a recent case of an erroneous assertion made by law enforcement in MA to the ATF regarding an already approved form 1. That was successfully resolved and both parties should now be more informed about procedure and reality. The ATF inspector was new at the job. The MA law enforcement individual was also new at the job.

I would not anticipate a repeat of this previous scenario.

That’s good to hear.

Back
Top Bottom