• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cannot Purchase Firearm during the renewal process ?

Greetings,

I tried to purchase a 22 rifle today, but my LTC is currently expired but under renewal. I had the renewal paperwork, but I guess they cannot process it for purchase until its complete ? I put the firearm on layaway so I didn't loose it.

Anyone have any experience with this ?

How long does the renewal take ?

Thanks !
-Roscoe

yep, a LTC that is technically expired can't be used to purchase a gun
at best, an incomplete statement. at worst, incorrect since 2014.

Greetings,

I tried to purchase a 22 rifle today, but my LTC is currently expired but under renewal. I had the renewal paperwork, but I guess they cannot process it for purchase until its complete ? I put the firearm on layaway so I didn't loose it.

Thanks !
-Roscoe
If you started the renewal before it expired and you have your MIRCS/FLRB receipt, your LTC remains valid for purchase. The only exception is during the tiny window where the new LTC has been activated but you haven't yet received it.

yep, a LTC that is technically expired can't be used to purchase a gun
I have purchased a few guns with an expired date on my LTC, even ammo at Walmart with an "Active" validation from the portal. Renewal in my town took about 6 months,

Isn’t your MRCS receipt valid for purchase?
It is, but the most UpToDate way to check LTC status it to run a validation on the portal, that validates your LTC for 24 hours, If it comes back invalid, you have been issued a new LTC that you have not received yet, it took me about 8-10 days to get my new LTC after my old became invalid.

You can transfer them into your name during the renewal process, I know that, via the Mass gun portal. After expiration, pin was still valid until new license was printed and sent.

at best, an incomplete statement. at worst, incorrect since 2014.

If you started the renewal before it expired and you have your MIRCS/FLRB receipt, your LTC remains valid for purchase. The only exception is during the tiny window where the new LTC has been activated but you haven't yet received it.

The Gun Store told me that the state told them they cannot sell the gun if the LTC is expired, even with the paperwork. Also that the paperwork is ONLY for carry purposes, and not purchasing.

Is there a reference for the 2014 date, ruling or clarification ?

Thoughts on how to proceed ?

Its a decent shop in Greenfield, NH, so I don't think they are douchebags. I'd just really like the gun for this weekend.

Thanks,
-Roscoe

The Gun Store told me that the state told them they cannot sell the gun if the LTC is expired, even with the paperwork. Also that the paperwork is ONLY for carry purposes, and not purchasing.

Thoughts on how to proceed ?

Its a decent shop in Greenfield, NH, so I don't think they are douchebags. I'd just really like the gun for this weekend.

Thanks,
-Roscoe
They are definitely douchebags who don't understand the law...... shop somewhere else. I worked at an NH gun shop for 2+ years (most hours during covid madness) and we legally sold long guns to people with Mircs receipts all the time, without hesitation.

They are definitely douchebags who don't understand the law...... shop somewhere else. I worked at an NH gun shop for 2+ years (most hours during covid madness) and we legally sold long guns to people with Mircs receipts all the time, without hesitation.

Which shop ? Private message would be fine too.

Greetings,

Thanks !
-Roscoe
I've had plenty of experience with the renewal process......I turn in my renewal application 6 to 7 months before my current one expires. Never had a problem getting my new one before the old one expires. You just gotta plan ahead lol

It is none of the above. The law changed in 2014.

MGL Chapter 140, Section 131 (i) describes the expiration period on your LTC.

This is a thing that GOAL achieved to help us here in MA.

does it make a difference that he is dealing with an out of state FFL who is in CYA mode?

A MA FFL may know what the law is, and they are under no obligation to sell anyone anything for any reason, but an out of state FFL may be (is) unwilling to do the deal without a currently active MA LTC in hand because he has to be 100% sure the buyer of a long arm is legal in his home state.

does it make a difference that he is dealing with an out of state FFL who is in CYA mode?

A MA FFL may know what the law is, and they are under no obligation to sell anyone anything for any reason, but an out of state FFL may be (is) unwilling to do the deal without a currently active MA LTC in hand because he has to be 100% sure the buyer of a long arm is legal in his home state.
CYA mode being what it is, we cannot blame the dealer for being conservative.

That said, caution is not that same as claiming the law is something other than it is. I personally would have more respect if he said "yeah, I've seen C140 S131(i), but I'm not comfortable making the sale." I'd disagree with his position, but at least he's not lying to his customers.

They are if the only differentiation between the refused person and other they have sold for are in a protected class.

Out of state dealers do not have the same login and portal access as MA dealers have to validate an LTC. However, they can still validate it same as any non-licensee can.
Can't Say I really blame the out of state dealer being cautious on something they are not up to speed on from someone out of state with an expired LTC

Back
Top Bottom