• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on Lever Actions (please?)

I like the looks of it, but I'd prefer it in a regular rifled .22 barrel. In my ideal world, it would be .22 Mag or better still, magazine fed .17 WSM.

My son got his Henry back today. Kittery called and said it came back from Henry

Note in the box said

Replaced magazine tube
Polished feed ramp
Replaced extractor spring
Replaced elevator
Adjusted elevator timing

Will test it this weekend and report back.
My sons gun cycles perfectly now. Didn't get much of a chance to do any accuracy testing it hits a tad to the right now we'll get that adjusted next trip out. He put 50 rounds through it with no malfunctions and it feels smoother too.

Anyone have any issues with round nose lead projos leading up the bore in a rifle?

Picked up some federal round nose lead 158 grain 38 special on sale.....want to run it through the 357 carbine Henry for plinking and target. Box stated 158 grain rnl and only 750 fps at the muzzle. I also have a ton of rnl bullets waiting for me to use to make some reloads but don't want to invest the time and powder if they are going to lead up the barrel.

What are the thoughts? Does swaged lead make a mess of the bore in a lever action rifle?

Last edited:
Anyone have any issues with round nose lead projos leading up the bore in a rifle?

Picked up some federal round nose lead 158 grain 38 special on sale.....want to run it through the 357 carbine Henry for plinking and target. Box stated 158 grain rnl and only 750 fps at the muzzle. I also have a ton of rnl bullets waiting for me to use to make some reloads but don't want to invest the time and powder if they are going to lead up the barrel.

What are the thoughts? Does swaged lead make a mess of the bore in a lever action rifle?

May want to read through and search for threads on here:

Leverguns

The only thing I know is velocity + unjacketed bullets = lead fouling. But your loads are only 750fps, which is right in between .455 Webley speeds (650), which was unjacketed for a very long time, and .45ACP (850). One thing you may want to consider is that your ammo might be getting higher velocities because you're shooting out of a longer barrel. A 16.5" barrel is going to get higher velocities than a 4" S&W Model 10.

May want to read through and search for threads on here:

Leverguns

The only thing I know is velocity + unjacketed bullets = lead fouling. But your loads are only 750fps, which is right in between .455 Webley speeds (650), which was unjacketed for a very long time, and .45ACP (850). One thing you may want to consider is that your ammo might be getting higher velocities because you're shooting out of a longer barrel. A 16.5" barrel is going to get higher velocities than a 4" S&W Model 10.
Yeah I was thinking the velocity would be higher with the longer barrel which is why I included the info.

At what velocity does swaged lead start to deposit in the rifling? Anyone know?

I shoot a 35 Rem 204gr RNGC out of my Marlin 336. I clean the bore with Break Free foaming cleaner on a semi-innocent basis. Consistently groups MOA @200 yards
1. What is rngc?
2. Do you ever notice lead fouling in the bore when you clean it?

Yeah I was thinking the velocity would be higher with the longer barrel which is why I included the info.

I don't know that velocity is the only consideration in this scenario. Let me look in the Lymann manual, I know I have read up on this many moons ago

Round Nose Gas Check. It's a Lymann Mould.
I don't see significant leading but it is gas checked. I'll shoot a couple hundred rounds a year from that rifle, and only this load.
Thanks.

I've even used gas checked projos reloading and didn't catch that acronym sorry.

Reason I'm asking is I would like to load up a shit ton of rnl 158 grain 38s for my son to plink with in his Henry lever action. Just don't want to make a mess out of the bore with swaged lead.

Thanks.

I've even used gas checked projos reloading and didn't catch that acronym sorry.

Reason I'm asking is I would like to load up a shit ton of rnl 158 grain 38s for my son to plink with in his Henry lever action. Just don't want to make a mess out of the bore with swaged lead.
I'll ask my son what his formula is on his Henry. I'm pretty sure it's the same load we use in the revolvers and that's a 158 semi-wadcutter going about 1100 fps? I'll have to check my load book. Memory ain't what it used to be.

Depends on the hardness of the alloy. There's an optimum pressure for a given hardness. I don't shoot uncoated lead out of my rifles, but I'm sure the cowboy action shooters are putting hundreds and thousands of soft lead bullets through their lever gun barrels. There will be some cleaning to do. Some people recommend shooting jacketed bullets at the end of the shooting session.

Where is the leading in the bore? At the breech or muzzle end? Or all the way through?

Swaged lead bullet can cause leading issues. Some of the swaged lead is knurled and rolled in a waxy lube like 22 LR is.
This lube doesn’t always work for longer barrels. You “run out” of lube and see leading in the last few inches of the barrel.
That teamed up with improper bullet size causes poor fit and that can cause leading the whole way.
What size are the bullets you have to reload with?
I find .358” works fine in most guns.
I would load up 10 or so and try it out. In my experience if it’s going to lead you’ll know it in 10 rounds for sure.

Depends on the hardness of the alloy. There's an optimum pressure for a given hardness. I don't shoot uncoated lead out of my rifles, but I'm sure the cowboy action shooters are putting hundreds and thousands of soft lead bullets through their lever gun barrels. There will be some cleaning to do. Some people recommend shooting jacketed bullets at the end of the shooting session.
I'm asking about swaged lead not cast (alloy) bullets. I have plenty of cast bullets in my reloads and they don't lead a bore at all. I have lrn bullets on standby for reloading and am wondering if they will lead the bore at a certain velocity or not to bother reloading then at all due to leading.

I wouldn’t shoot jacketed at the end. If you have a lot of leading and force a jacketed Bullet down the barrel you will have increased pressure for sure.
I would just give it a quick scrub with a bronze brush wrapped in copper chore boy cleaning pad and call it a day.

I'm asking about swaged lead not cast (alloy) bullets. I have plenty of cast bullets in my reloads and they don't lead a bore at all. I have lrn bullets on standby for reloading and am wondering if they will lead the bore at a certain velocity or not to bother reloading then at all due to leading.

Are these LRN bullet cast or swaged? The component ones you have?

Are these LRN bullet cast or swaged? The component ones you have?
Swaged. That's my concern because they are a softer lead. I've never had a concern with cast projos leading a bore and have used them in reloads for a long time. Plan to experiment with rnl that is swaged.

Swaged. That's my concern because they are a softer lead. I've never had a concern with cast projos leading a bore and have used them in reloads for a long time. Plan to experiment with rnl that is swaged.
Ok gotcha. What diameter are they?
Diameter is more important than alloy when fighting leading.

Ok gotcha. What diameter are they?
Diameter is more important than alloy when fighting leading.
.358 rnl from hornady....158 grain

My worry from my research is velocity with swaged lead can cause leaded bore. My problem is the manuals use 6 inch barrel to estimate velocity. I'm making these for a 16.5 inch barrel (more velocity). I'm wondering if leading will be an issue.

Last edited:
.358 rnl from hornady....158 grain

My worry from my research is velocity with swaged lead can cause leaded bore. My problem is the manuals use 6 inch barrel to estimate velocity. I'm making these for a 16.5 inch barrel (more velocity). I'm wondering if leading will be an issue.
What powder and charge weight are you using?
faster powder will have less velocity gain.
I gain about 150 FPS with light charges of fast powder like clays it’s bullseye.

What powder and charge weight are you using?
faster powder will have less velocity gain.
I gain about 150 FPS with light charges of fast powder like clays it’s bullseye.
I used bullseye mostly but 700x from time to time. I forgot what charge weights I'm using but they were middle of the road. I don't have my recipe cards with me. They don't lead up my 3 inch revolvers at all.....like I said my concern is using them in a 16.5 inch carbine barrel my son will be pissed if they lead up the bore lol

Back
Top Bottom