• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on Lever Actions (please?)

I'm going to need a new job, between Henry's new loading gate and Marlin's new "Dark" 336 rifle, I could be going into deep debt. the Marlin is out in 30-30, but will be releasing it in 45-70 in mid summer with other cals. to follow.
Bill

Can't go wrong with a Henry I picked up a big boy steel 38/357 it's a blast to shoot
I’m not a fan of the tube loading but it appears their rifles are leagues ahead of what Remington is pulling off right now.
They have improved a ton but their wood selection and wood fit is still really bad.
I know Henry has some new rifles with a loading gate. Maybe if they come out with a pistol caliber I’ll buy one.

I’m not a fan of the tube loading but it appears their rifles are leagues ahead of what Remington is pulling off right now.
They have improved a ton but their wood selection and wood fit is still really bad.
I know Henry has some new rifles with a loading gate. Maybe if they come out with a pistol caliber I’ll buy one.

Yeah I believe the big boy in 327? Has the side load gate and the tube I when I heard that I was gonna wait till they eventually expanded to other calibers but i got the itch for a lever gun and couldn't wait

Traded it for a Pedersoli Sharps. At least it wasn’t for a Glock 40.
There’s a 35 Remington straight stocked 336 at Outback arms right now. $500
I guess I can't argue with that.
The 336 was the first rifle I bought with my own money waay back in '88. I needed something to go deer hunting with in NY state with some buddies. My dad offered his 25-06 to use but I wanted to have my own gun. Choosing a gun/caliber back in the old days was way harder without the sage advice from the internet we have today.
Me: "I need something to kill deer with"
Hardware store employee, Kevin(who had an ffl) : "Here. This kills deer." hands me an 870
Me :" I'm going to NY"
Kevin : "here. This kills deer in NY" hands me the 336
Me : "thanks" I proceed to go kill deer.
Still have it. Still kill deer with it. I also shoot silhouette with 204 gr RNGC propelled by Unique.

Best
Rifle
Ever

Yeah I believe the big boy in 327? Has the side load gate and the tube I when I heard that I was gonna wait till they eventually expanded to other calibers but i got the itch for a lever gun and couldn't wait
I would go for a 327 if it shot 32 mag and 32 long. Might to too hard to get that much length range though.

I guess I can't argue with that.
The 336 was the first rifle I bought with my own money waay back in '88. I needed something to go deer hunting with in NY state with some buddies. My dad offered his 25-06 to use but I wanted to have my own gun. Choosing a gun/caliber back in the old days was way harder without the sage advice from the internet we have today.
Me: "I need something to kill deer with"
Hardware store employee, Kevin(who had an ffl) : "Here. This kills deer." hands me an 870
Me :" I'm going to NY"
Kevin : "here. This kills deer in NY" hands me the 336
Me : "thanks" I proceed to go kill deer.
Still have it. Still kill deer with it. I also shoot silhouette with 204 gr RNGC propelled by Unique.

Best
Rifle
Ever

Love it. You can’t beat a good Marlin whatever the configuration.
I have an 1894 in 44 special on the way.

I'm patiently waiting for a Henry all weather finish, side loading 357 mag....maybe someday they'll have em.

I personally own 2 Remlins that are really nice in quality and fit and finish, and those rifles shoot great. Most of the real bad quality stuff like in 2012-2014, is fixed. However, I've still seen some that aren't so nice in wood to metal fit, that is still hit of miss. Remington is not the only company that has issues with that though. Henry is still way better in that regard....in general their walnut is more plain....but I've seen some fantastic walnut on some of their other single shot rifles and stuff.

I personally own 2 Remlins that are really nice in quality and fit and finish, and those rifles shoot great. Most of the real bad quality stuff like in 2012-2014, is fixed. However, I've still seen some that aren't so nice in wood to metal fit, that is still hit of miss. Remington is not the only company that has issues with that though. Henry is still way better in that regard....in general their walnut is more plain....but I've seen some fantastic walnut on some of their other single shot rifles and stuff.
Agreed with the single shots for sure. There are some really nice pieces out there. The one at shooting supply has to be some of the nicest wood I've ever seen on that price range gun. You don't expect to see wood like that till you get well over $1000

I have on of their .22 lever guns with beautiful tiger stripe walnut. I paid $200 and change. Might be the prettiest rifle I own!

Yesterday I picked up a pre-owned Henry Big Boy steel receiver .357 Magnum with the 20" barrel at KTP... I've been trying to hold out for a JM stamped Marlin 1894 in .357 but alluded me for years locally. I absolutely can not wait to take this out to the range on Saturday. I plan on reloading for it of course, probably won't use my powder puff .38's through it without bumping the powder charge a little bit.

After a cursory search, I see many people are loading 158's for it. Anyone here have success with 125's or even 110's? I've gotten a small stash recently that I'd like to use and experiment with.

Yesterday I picked up a pre-owned Henry Big Boy steel receiver .357 Magnum with the 20" barrel at KTP... I've been trying to hold out for a JM stamped Marlin 1894 in .357 but alluded me for years locally. I absolutely can not wait to take this out to the range on Saturday. I plan on reloading for it of course, probably won't use my powder puff .38's through it without bumping the powder charge a little bit.

After a cursory search, I see many people are loading 158's for it. Anyone here have success with 125's or even 110's? I've gotten a small stash recently that I'd like to use and experiment with.
I’ve loaded everything from single round balls, double round balls, 75 grain wadcutters stacked on top each-other 130s 158s they all seem to work well. It’s a 38 it just rocks.

The Henry in 357 will be my next rifle purchase. I started reloading a little over a year ago and load some very hot 357 for my revolvers.....and cast 158 38 specials are a breeze to make.....it just seems like a logical rife to have for range fun and to play with reloads, the chrono, and see what kind of accuracy I can get.

I opted out on the Henry GB simply because I like side loading gates.
(I do also have a 1983 Marlin 336 30-30 with JM-stamped-barrel, a 1951 Winchester 1894 32-special, and a Rossi 92 .357 16" barrel).

Last month, I picked-up a Marlin 1894 CLSB 16.5" Barrel, in .357 to go with my .357 revolvers (in addition to the Rossi 92 16").

The action is very slick and it locks up tight. It shoots POA without any adjustments (I also installed a red dot onto the factory XS rail).

Info. Model 1894 CSBL

(These are not "remlin" quality rifles, these are very high quality and well built .... the type of rifle to hand down to your family).
Beautiful fit & finish.

I don't have an actual pic of mine yet, but here is an online pic of one that I found:

wm_13425352.jpg

Last edited:
I opted out on the Henry GB simply because I like side loading gates.
(I do have also have a 1983 Marlin 336 30-30 with JM-stamped-barrel, a 1951 Remington 1894 32-special, and a Rossi 92 .357 16" barrel).

Last month, I picked-up a Marlin 1894 CLSB 16.5" Barrel, in .357 to go with my .357 revolvers (in addition to the Rossi 92 16").

The action is very slick and it locks up tight. It shoots POA without any adjustments (I also installed a red dot onto the factory XS rail).

Info. Model 1894 CSBL

(These are not "remlin" quality rifles, these are very high quality and well built .... the type of rifle to hand down to your family).
Beautiful fit & finish.

I don't have an actual pic yet of mine yet, but here is an online pic of one that I found:

wm_13425352.jpg

Nice rifle. From what I can see the new Marlin's are great guns. They are just a little lacking in the tang to stock fit and the wood quality is very low with the worst pressed checkering I've ever seen.
I think if I were to buy a new Marlin I would have to go with a synthetic stock or change out to some proper wood.

Nice rifle. From what I can see the new Marlin's are great guns. They are just a little lacking in the tang to stock fit and the wood quality is very low with the worst pressed checkering I've ever seen.
I think if I were to buy a new Marlin I would have to go with a synthetic stock or change out to some proper wood.

Those are not issues on this particular rifle, and from the posted reviews by many other owners on this 1894 CSBL rifle line (and also on the similar 1895 SBL line) = the wood, checkering, and fitment reports are all top notch.

(There have also been multiple discussions that these may be produced separately from the other Marlin rifles).

Some Videos:

Go to the 2:50 mark:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom