• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on Lever Actions (please?)

After just recently watching videos of suppressed 357 lever guns, it really made me hate this state even more....

With 38s, it was ultra quiet. So awesome.

Do all of the threaded models have 20+ inch barrels?

Here’s one with a 16.5" barrel. Not super cheap.
Model 1894 CST

You wonder if companies like Henry would be willing to thread one of their carbine models if you reached out to them?
Edit: coastieron beat me to it.

Perhaps. Especially with this being her "birthday week". Which reminds me, where can I find a good cast iron pan....?

During my rookie year of marriage I bought the wife a Foley Mill (fancy strainer for making applesauce) as a present because we did not have a lot of money and she asked for one. Luckily I ducked as it went past my head. Took two hours over two days to fix the wall as we were renting. 33 years later I still have never bought her a kitchen utensil for birthday or Christmas. Good Luck.

During my rookie year of marriage I bought the wife a Foley Mill (fancy strainer for making applesauce) as a present because we did not have a lot of money and she asked for one. Luckily I ducked as it went past my head. Took two hours over two days to fix the wall as we were renting. 33 years later I still have never bought her a kitchen utensil for birthday or Christmas. Good Luck.
Ha! But she asked for it lol. But we're on year 18.

Does $600 for an early 90s JM marked Marlin 357 sound about right?

I assume you are talking about a model 1894? Rifle or carbine? If it's in good condition, maybe a bit high, but then what isn't any more. Yes.

added: Just checked some Gun Broker prices. Their average price seems to be way higher.

why the 30-30 hate? its probably the most popular lever caliber of all time and packs a real punch. I ask because i went through this. i was holding out for a nice marlin in 44, still am looking, but a friend was selling a beautiful Winchester 30-30 at a good price. I love the thing. So glad i have one in the classic caliber. If its the cost of rounds, 44 is no bargain either, stick with 38/357.

why the 30-30 hate? its probably the most popular lever caliber of all time and packs a real punch. I ask because i went through this. i was holding out for a nice marlin in 44, still am looking, but a friend was selling a beautiful Winchester 30-30 at a good price. I love the thing. So glad i have one in the classic caliber. If its the cost of rounds, 44 is no bargain either, stick with 38/357.
No hate here. Looking for an inexpensive toy, not a tool. A 30-30 round is a hunting round, and I don't hunt. Every firearm in my safe has a specific use, this one is range toy, and the caliber needs to be dual use.

No hate here. Looking for an inexpensive toy, not a tool. A 30-30 round is a hunting round, and I don't hunt. Every firearm in my safe has a specific use, this one is range toy, and the caliber needs to be dual use.

Not a hunter here either. This gun is a blast at the range. It’s the only place I’ve shot it. 44 mag ballistics are very close to 3030 up to 100 yards then the 3030 takes over.

It’s the saddle ring carbine. So gorgeous I only wanted it because Winchester.

Attachments

• 0DE120D2-2FD4-41B9-8927-2E960034DA8F.jpeg
    0DE120D2-2FD4-41B9-8927-2E960034DA8F.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 2C9F0DD8-397F-4117-B3C1-51E92F95941D.jpeg
    2C9F0DD8-397F-4117-B3C1-51E92F95941D.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 75
Not a hunter here either. This gun is a blast at the range. It’s the only place I’ve shot it. 44 mag ballistics are very close to 3030 up to 100 yards then the 3030 takes over.

It’s the saddle ring carbine. So gorgeous I only wanted it because Winchester.
Would rather a dual use round.

One of the best things about a pistol caliber rifle is that you can pair it with a handgun.

Aside from suppressing it, this is exactly why I want a lever gun.

I'd like a 30-30 someday, because I know I can get a box of cartridges at my local hardware store, but it's pretty low on my priority list. That fancy 1894 Ron shared with me is at the top, likely with a large frame S&W to go with it.

I've changed my mind on the barrel length. After a good conversation with my BiL, I've decided to go up to a 20" barrel and widened my search. I have good leads now LOL.

Who has a Henry? Any issues?

I've changed my mind on the barrel length. After a good conversation with my BiL, I've decided to go up to a 20" barrel and widened my search. I have good leads now LOL.

no, but do you really wanna put your hand in front of the barrel every time you load it? i love Henry rifles but i can't get past that tube load method, not really concerned about the safety issue, just the look and operation.

no, but do you really wanna put your hand in front of the barrel every time you load it? i love Henry rifles but i can't get past that tube load method, not really concerned about the safety issue, just the look and operation.
That's something to consider.

I've had a tube load .22 before, I'm OK with it.

I've got the all weather Henry 44 20" and it is friggin slick. Of course it's out of your budget but worth the money IMO. I haven't seen what the going rate is for a new/used regular steel Henry rifle. I'm sure you could snag one for close to $500ish?

I have a Henry in .357 20" octagon barrel and it shoots very nice and all the operations are smooth. I got it new through the last group buy. I thought the tube loading would be awkward, but it's not. I actually like it better than side loading my Marlin 30-30. I used to have a couple of .357 revolves years ago, and the plan was to get another one to match the Henry.
Henry.jpg

I don't know if anyone else brought this up but you really want to avoid the RemLins. When Remington bought Marlin in 08 or thereabouts there were tons of quality issues for a year or 2.

I don't know if anyone else brought this up but you really want to avoid the RemLins. When Remington bought Marlin in 08 or thereabouts there were tons of quality issues for a year or 2.

This has been mentioned numerous times over the past years. But there have been some reports recently that Remington quality has been improving. I have no late model Remington to prove this though.

At $600, I'd say that's well worth stretching the budget for a JM stamped 1894 in .357 Magnum in good shape, the quality is certainly there for the price.

What points did BiL make that made you put more weight into considering a 20"?

At $600, I'd say that's well worth stretching the budget for a JM stamped 1894 in .357 Magnum in good shape, the quality is certainly there for the price.

What points did BiL make that made you put more weight into considering a 20"?
Most of the shooting we do is more out to 75 and 100 yards. Said it would be better to have a longer barrel. My issue is I am constrained by my storage, but a 16.5" barreled lever gun isn't going to fit in my storage either, so I might as well get a 20" barrel. Said I am limiting myself, between the caliber and the barrel length.

The JM marked Marlin is a bit further away than I want to travel.

I'm no expert, but I will say that I like the loading gate, like on a Marlin, vs. loading the tube as on a Henry.

A Henry is easier to unload,
This has been mentioned numerous times over the past years. But there have been some reports recently that Remington quality has been improving. I have no late model Remington to prove this though.

I've seen enough videos to know that it's back to where it was before Remington bought Marlin. Plus, that big bad mamma jamma in my thread is probably one of the finest machines I've ever had the pleasure of using. Just in-credible!!!!!

10/10 would buy another in a heartbeat!

Don't buy used ones... from 08-12 but new Remlins are good to go. I bought 2 within the last year and they are decent and shoot well.

They are also cheaper than the rape prices that many used JM guns want to fetch and come with a full warranty. The 336C I just bought I got for slightly more than 400 bucks brand new in box.

It really had nice walnut on it too. Someone on here wanted north of 500 for a JM gun and I'm glad I bought the Remlin, it actually has nicer wood. Saved myself over a 100 bucks and lot of travel time and headache.

I bought an 1895 22 inch barrel, again on sale NIB for less than 450.00 and the wood, fit and finish on that is fantastic. I'm real glad I didn't overpay for dinged up used JM.

The word is getting out and the prices on both of these guns at the same supplier has jumped back up well over what I got them for.

The wood finish on these new Marlins is bare bones and subdued, no shine, put some oil on it though and it looks just like a lever gun finish should. I also love the subdued tan kickpad, it looks nice. I'd rather a buttplate on a lever, but that's a nice feature. I wish henry would do the same and not put the thick black kickpad on its steel guns.

Henry's are a step up in metal finish and action feel, but the wood is a step down in feature, they put very plain walnut on the Henry's unless it's a special type gun. There is certainly nothing wrong with a Henry though, great guns.

I think right now the .357 Marlins are around 600 bucks new, so realistically at that its a wash between a Henry and a Marlin, depending on what you want. Henry's can be had for 600 and change, Marlins a little less brand new.

The tube feed is overrated, and really not a big deal, honestly I like it for pistol caliber. For quick follow up shots with either style, I'm just throwing a round in the open chamber, so it matters little to me.

Last edited:
Aside from suppressing it, this is exactly why I want a lever gun.

I'd like a 30-30 someday, because I know I can get a box of cartridges at my local hardware store, but it's pretty low on my priority list.

30-30 is everywhere and cheap..... I paid a little over 11 bucks at Rindge Walmart for some 150 core loks. For that price its barely worth reloading them. I bought a bunch.

Back
Top Bottom