School me on Lever Actions (please?)

What the hell kind of math was i just doing?
d518e7f8-b0a1-4406-bfa8-91ad75d9bd1d_2.686e00a397b30272d272267f43b03900.jpeg

Was just reading about .348 Winchester and .338 Marlin Express. Some cool cartridges. Also the 35 Remington and 35 Whelen, and the 375 Ruger.

SO many fun cartridges. I'm guessing most of those would be good for bear or moose.

A couple good lever action articles:

Was just reading about .348 Winchester and .338 Marlin Express. Some cool cartridges. Also the 35 Remington and 35 Whelen, and the 375 Ruger.

SO many fun cartridges. I'm guessing most of those would be good for bear or moose.
My friend has a 375 Ruger. Boy is that a slick rifle and a whole lot of stomple in one cartridge.

A couple good lever action articles:

The BLR takedown has sooo much potential if they would just sell spare barrels so people can swap calibers that use the same bolt. I know they’d want you to send in the gun so it can be headspaced, but swapping calibers would be fantastic. Sadly, they will only sell you another barrel in the caliber the gun was sold in.

There is at least one aftermarket shop making spare barrels though.

The BLR takedown has sooo much potential if they would just sell spare barrels so people can swap calibers that use the same bolt. I know they’d want you to send in the gun so it can be headspaced, but swapping calibers would be fantastic. Sadly, they will only sell you another barrel in the caliber the gun was sold in.

There is at least one aftermarket shop making spare barrels though.
is there a way to improve trigger down from 5# pull that say it has?

Not sure on that. I haven’t done further research into the gun yet, but I would be surprised if nobody did trigger work on them.
i like the idea of a .308 caliber 6 lbs8oz lever gun. can be a fun thing to have - if it is problem free, and, i really want at least a 3# trigger. 5# pull is quite a lot.

i like the idea of a .308 caliber 6 lbs8oz lever gun. can be a fun thing to have - if it is problem free, and, i really want at least a 3# trigger. 5# pull is quite a lot.
I’ve been thinking about getting a 6.5 CM one, cutting it to 16” (because really, who’s shooting an inaccurate lever gun out past 800?). Then getting a spare barrel made for 375 Raptor, at like 14” or so with a pinned brake. Unfortunately, raptorarizona.com where I was looking before, no longer exists it seems. I think the guy still runs medesha firearms, but I have no idea if he still does spare BLR barrels: Medesha Services

I’ve been thinking about getting a 6.5 CM one, cutting it to 16” (because really, who’s shooting an inaccurate lever gun out past 800?). Then getting a spare barrel made for 375 Raptor, at like 14” or so with a pinned brake. Unfortunately, raptorarizona.com where I was looking before, no longer exists it seems. I think the guy still runs medesha firearms, but I have no idea if he still does spare BLR barrels: Medesha Services

Yeah, that’s where I initially heard about raptorarizona.com. But the website no longer works.

Sorry, try this one. They have the option for a 375 Raptor.
They do pre-fit bolt action barrels and AR barrels, but I don’t think they do BLR barrels, takedown or otherwise.

But it looks like Medesha Firearms is the same guy. So I supppse when I’m ready to buy a BLR takedown, I’ll check with him first to see if he still offers takedown barrels. When I emailed him a couple years ago, the price was in the $600 range, which I think included the wood grip attached to the barrel. I’m sure it’s more now.

I feel as though I was starting to hi-jack @The5thDentist thread, so I thought I would start a new one.

I've decided that rather than get a Mosin, I would like a used lever action. Something well used but well cared for. I've always wanted one, and seeing the prices of Mosins, I'd rather scratch the lever action itch for my own collection, and then just shoot my BiL's Mosin when I get the hankering to dislocate my shoulder.

I'm looking for something in 357/38, 44 or 45, with a barrel length of 16-20". I'm looking for these particular calibers because this is going to be a range gun, and I want to keep the price per round down, and also might enjoy a wheel gun down the line in the same caliber. I'm not interested in a scoped rifle, but am looking for accuracy up to 50 yards (above that out to 75/100 is a bonus). My questions are:

1. Which makers should I avoid?
2. Which of the three calibers will be more accurate to shoot?
3. What features should I look for?
4. Are there certain years that are better than others (build wise)
5. What else should I look for?
6. Am I asking the right questions?

I've hit quite a few shops but haven't found what I'm looking for used, but maybe my set budget is too low ($600 and lower, preferably lower). I've seen a ton of 30-30 that's in my price range - used (and new for that matter), but I'm not interested in that cartridge/caliber. I've seen other calibers such as 41 mag, 32 win (32-20?), 35 Rem etc, but those calibers seem to be expensive per round. I'd love to stay under $0.50 per.

I do not reload. But I am familiar with the smiles per dollar formulas....

I even made room for a new caliber in my safe......

View attachment 255340
So you take all that to the range at 9AM, have coffee, start shooting and after the last round realize it is almost 9:40. What do you do for the rest of the day?
Get a stainless guide gun in .45-70. Or at least .30-30.

JMHO

The first rifle i bought myself in 1988 was a used Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. I bought it for deer hunting and It's still my favorite general purpose rifle. It's a great round out to 250 yards or so.

They do pre-fit bolt action barrels and AR barrels, but I don’t think they do BLR barrels, takedown or otherwise.

But it looks like Medesha Firearms is the same guy. So I supppse when I’m ready to buy a BLR takedown, I’ll check with him first to see if he still offers takedown barrels. When I emailed him a couple years ago, the price was in the $600 range, which I think included the wood grip attached to the barrel. I’m sure it’s more now.
if you'll get one - let me know, i would love to see it. i really want to get one, but, just cannot commit. :)
also not sure of a caliber, but, i would probably stick to 308. i think it is a more effective one for a mid-range 1-2 moa gun that this lever thing gonna be. i would put a prism or an acog on it, and it would be fun.

Well, might as well leave this here. Was going to go the new Marlin Trapper route....but I know thats going to end up a safe queen, shoulder breaker as I get older.
So instead of on 45-70, that to me is still rather expensive. I bought 2 pistol caliber 20" carbines.

Henry 44 mag Big Boy steel 20 inch and a Rossi R92 20" in 45LC.

Merry John Wayne Xmas to me. This will round out my PCC as I have a Marlin .357 1894 Carbine.

Will add pics in a week or two when they arrive.

Last edited:
Well, might as well leave this here. Was going to go the new Marlin Trapper route....but I know thats going to end up a safe queen, shoulder breaker as I get older.
So instead of on 45-70, that to me is still rather expensive. I bought 2 pistol caliber 20" carbines.

Henry 44 mag Big Boy steel 20 inch and a Rossi R92 20" in 45LC.

Merry John Wayne Xmas to me. This will round out my PCC as I have a Marlin .357 1894 Carbine.

Will add pics in a week or two when they arrive.
Love my Henry 44 mag Big Boy steel. The thing eats everything I have fed it so far.

Where are you guys finding lever guns?

I’ve been on the lookout for a Henry Big Boy X in 357 for a little while now.

I’m open to a case hardened model as well.

Hoping to find something with a threaded barrel so I can hunt with a suppressor.

Hoping to find something with a threaded barrel so I can hunt with a suppressor.
My local shop, Paladin Arms, has been able to order in Henry's for customers.

There were numerous group buys in the Members Forum. Take a look at those threads and some of those vendors can/have orders filled by Henry Repeating Rifles. Best of luck.

Both of these are high on my list of Henry rifles I'd like get someday, along with the All Weather in 357.

They are out there, just really tough to find at a reasonable price. They do pop up on Gunbroker and Guns.com but usually at inflated prices.
Every now and then you will find them at MSRP or sometimes lower. You just have to be at the right place at the right time.

I had my local LGS try to find a long Ranger or 3 different Big Boys in 357 for literally a year and a half with no luck. I was able to find this on
Guns.com. The price including tax, shipping, and insurance still came in just under MSRP.H014RP-223_Hero.jpg

Back
Top Bottom