School me on thermal scopes

That looks amazing!

I love looking at the prices over the past decades.

What was $10,000 in 1980 now costs $100.

The lower cost of tech is amazing - and much smaller.

$7,000 for a scope is a lot of money but if you really want it - get it.

You just have to realize that in 2 years that tech will be 1/2 the cost.

If you can justify the enjoyment of $3,000 in depreciation it is worth it over 2 years.

Life is short.

Your best bet is to join some forums, study, and handle a real one for a few months and then decide.

Do your research.
Yeah that's not really the case with this stuff, if it were I would have a thermal set up already.

As @xtry51 mentioned in post #51, it works just the same.
I believe that in thick brush you will see the thermal image, but may have trouble identifying the specific target.

The challenge of zeroing was having a thermal target to aim at.
I ended up using a highly technical solution;
I held my thumb on top of a 1" black pastie for 30 seconds and then walked back to the firing line.
The thermal image of my thumb was still visible on the target and I was able to fire three well aimed shots.
This is one of the reasons I'm trying to find a solution for videoing through the scope; to talk through and show the thermal zeroing process.
if you don`t mind me asking - that thor scope of yours - is it still working fine, no issues so far? just curious, as thread came up to life again.

if you don`t mind me asking - that thor scope of yours - is it still working fine, no issues so far? just curious, as thread came up to life again.

It is still working. I had a failure 3 years ago which was apparently a known issue with the battery compartment in the first revision (which I have). FLIR (repair center in NH) fixed it and updated several things to the last iterations and recalibrate it. Cost me shipping and $50 which was reasonable to me. No issues since.

I use it year round, including time in subzero weather in my tree stand watching for predators. I would buy another one.

It is still working. I had a failure 3 years ago which was apparently a known issue with the battery compartment in the first revision (which I have). FLIR (repair center in NH) fixed it and updated several things to the last iterations and recalibrate it. Cost me shipping and $50 which was reasonable to me. No issues since.

I use it year round, including time in subzero weather in my tree stand watching for predators. I would buy another one.
i see they have now 2 models with 640x480 FLIR sensor, 1x10 and 1.5x15 - last one probably would be perfect, but, damn, a $3800.

do i understand correctly that they are the one and only company that makes FLIR powered scopes?

There was a bunch of consolidation a couple years back. FLIR owns Armasight now and no longer sells direct to civilian market under FLIR name, but Armasight now uses FLIR sensor packages. There are no new from FLIR PTS233s out there unless you somehow find a NOS somewhere.

I don't use it a lot; the last raccoon I ambushed seems to have solved my problem.
I do check the battery from time time; the charge did degraded a little bit, so I just plugged it back in.

Switched out the optic on my rifle from IR to thermal.

I'm still exploring options for capturing photos and video through the scope.

ATN THOR LT 160 3-6X Ultra Light Thermal Rifle Scope.
Matrix Aerospace Inc. lower.
Stag 15 A3 Left Handed upper.
AAC M4-1000 suppressor.

View attachment 539373

A few nights ago I used it to ambush this raccoon that was raiding the pig feeder.
Range was 34 yards from my bedroom window at 0300hrs.
55gr. FMJ 5.56mm

View attachment 539374

This motion sensor alerted me to presence of the critter thermal scope under $2002.

View attachment 539376
I am interested in enhanced sight. Thermal seems to be superior to night vision and more applicable to a broader range of situations. I'd appreciate input on which model scopes represent the best value. I understand that thermal technology is pricey, yet hope to minimize costs as much as possible.

I am interested in enhanced sight. Thermal seems to be superior to night vision and more applicable to a broader range of situations. I'd appreciate input on which model scopes represent the best value. I understand that thermal technology is pricey, yet hope to minimize costs as much as possible.
Like mentioned earlier in the thread, ATN is a lower cost/quality thermal optic.

I'm happy with mine.

I did some daylight shooting with it earlier this year.

The thermal contrast between the steel targets and the background wasn't great, but if I did my part, decent hits could still be made.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AforDle0iA

That looks amazing!

I love looking at the prices over the past decades.

What was $10,000 in 1980 now costs $100.

The lower cost of tech is amazing - and much smaller.

$7,000 for a scope is a lot of money but if you really want it - get it.

You just have to realize that in 2 years that tech will be 1/2 the cost.

If you can justify the enjoyment of $3,000 in depreciation it is worth it over 2 years.

Life is short.

Your best bet is to join some forums, study, and handle a real one for a few months and then decide.

Do your research.
What then cost $7000.00 now cost $9000.00
But you can't get one now. Well at least not in the next two years.

Top reviews from the United States​

Tim S.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun toy
Reviewed in the United States on November 17, 2023
Verified Purchase
These are obviously a toy and do great for that. My daughter wanted to stay in a “haunted hotel” for her 6th birthday and we got her these ghost hunting glasses. We had a blast roaming up and down the halls looking for ghosts. The lights are bright and they are fun. Not nightvison what so ever but you should already know that.
Customer imageCustomer image
8 people found this helpful
Helpful

Julia A Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Birthday present
Reviewed in the United States on February 11, 2024
Verified Purchase
My grandson loved them
Helpful

Eric H

4.0 out of 5 stars How can you not know this is a toy?
Reviewed in the United States on August 17, 2016
Verified Purchase
I bought this for my 7 yr old son to play with when we go camping. They adjusted well to fit him. The lights that pop out of the sides don't really work all that great. But with a little finesse, patience, and practice, he got the hang of getting them to pop out. It doesn't really matter because the DeLorean door - LED lights lost their coolness and appeal by day 2 and he uses them with the lights popped out all of the time regardless. I can't see the appeal of having the lights on and popped in; it serves no real purpose or aid, but does look cool to anyone who can see you...so maybe a cool Halloween accessory? It does not feel like it's going to take a beating so when he is done, the toy gets put away and brought out for night time only. So far it has held up well and the batteries just keep going. I feel satisfied with the purchase and my son loves it.

Top reviews from the United States​

Tim S.
5.0 out of 5 stars Fun toy
Reviewed in the United States on November 17, 2023
Verified Purchase
These are obviously a toy and do great for that. My daughter wanted to stay in a “haunted hotel” for her 6th birthday and we got her these ghost hunting glasses. We had a blast roaming up and down the halls looking for ghosts. The lights are bright and they are fun. Not nightvison what so ever but you should already know that.
Customer imageCustomer image
8 people found this helpful
Helpful

Julia A Williams
5.0 out of 5 stars Birthday present
Reviewed in the United States on February 11, 2024
Verified Purchase
My grandson loved them
Helpful

Eric H
4.0 out of 5 stars How can you not know this is a toy?
Reviewed in the United States on August 17, 2016
Verified Purchase
I bought this for my 7 yr old son to play with when we go camping. They adjusted well to fit him. The lights that pop out of the sides don't really work all that great. But with a little finesse, patience, and practice, he got the hang of getting them to pop out. It doesn't really matter because the DeLorean door - LED lights lost their coolness and appeal by day 2 and he uses them with the lights popped out all of the time regardless. I can't see the appeal of having the lights on and popped in; it serves no real purpose or aid, but does look cool to anyone who can see you...so maybe a cool Halloween accessory? It does not feel like it's going to take a beating so when he is done, the toy gets put away and brought out for night time only. So far it has held up well and the batteries just keep going. I feel satisfied with the purchase and my son loves it.
Upgrade to this:

Back
Top Bottom