Scouting for Deer (first time)

Left the Communistwealth for Live Free or Die!
So I am new to Deer hunting. Taking the hunting course this spring. (I have hunted pheasant on private property, my only experience).

Anyway, I am up at my cabin in Maine and tommorow I am heading out to do some scouting via snowshoe before the snow melts. I am looking to find some trails and bedding areas (I have found one bedding area accidentally already).
My question is, am I being premature here? What are the chances the deer will still be hanging out on the same trails and bedding areas come hunting season?

Real good...deer are creatures of habit and providing nothing pushes them out of there they will be there next year. That why guys hunt the same areas year after year....the only caveat is if the snow was sooooooo deeeeeep that deer were yarding up and staying in a very small area; they may change their trends when the snow is all gone....but we are talking a ton of snow with little or no feed

I think the deer should still be yarded up. Some think that it is not cool to pressure them while yarded as they have little food and little reserve left.

There is a question as to how much useful information you could gather as they have moved into yards and away from their normal feeding/bedding areas.

Perhaps a Maine hunter could weigh in with the local perspective.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Some people hunt all year long for many decades. You want to be able to name your deer ahead of time so you know "who" you are shooting. You will know when and where it eats and sleeps, who its children are, ...

Oh, I guess I'm dreaming of my other life again. Gotta go rent Jeremiah Johnson.

I would say average depth this year was about 2.5 feet, however the thicket i am planning on scouting has great evergreen canopy and less snow than heavy hardwood areas on average. Your comments are well taken.
The area i am scouting was heavily hunted many years ago, but the neighbor tells me the sport is dying around here and few venture into the area I am in (this could be good for me). However, coyotes are getting more common and bold as one walked right up to my window, just 5 feet away and watched me as I watched tv. I felt like prey. Have the AR ready for them when I get the license.
I appreciate your opinions. Will consult with the neighbor on this as recommended.

their patterns will change in the fall-- right now there are bachelor herds and the bucks have all shed by now. in spring, does are with their fawns

as far as i know that all changes and by end of summer/fall, you will likely find evidence like scrapes and licking branches, along with bedding areas as the rut approaches.

we plan to shed hunt this year, but do lots of scouting in the summer and fall... we also set up game cameras to see what's out there.

I suggest that you find Deer & Deer Hunting articles or magazines, they have a plethora of great insight from some of the world's most knowledgable researchers. Leonard Lee Rue III and Dr. Charles Alzheimer come to mind. I have quite a few books you are welcome to have if you'd like. Another big woods local down there is R.G. Bernier. He and his posse track them and kill some record book deer south of Rangely Lakes region. If you can find his books they are an ecxcellent source of what it takes to succeed (or not) in the Maine woods. On The Track is one of his best books.

My experience has been that the best time to scout is in the first few days after the hunting season ends. The deer are still in escape mode for the most part and they will be in the same locations next year barring development of land or heavy logging. It is definately getting harder to get into good spots due to land being posted by anti-hunters who gobble up the available land needed to access these forested areas. Lots of good info can be found on topo maps or from geological surveys that will clue you in on some overlooked hotspots.

Most hunters today don't roam too far from roads and that leaves a lot of land to you. A good percentage of deer are taken by poaching but the big old bucks are not stupid and many die of old age having never been seen by but a few.

Back
Top Bottom