Self Defense Spray

The level of martial arts skill necessary to enable a 120lb female to asswhomp a 200lb male is to say the least "considerable".
I always explain to my female friends that situational awareness is 10x better than any defense mechanism. You can take all the self defense classes in the world, and the average dude untrained will still take you down.

Sorry no Mac is the instructor at Mass Firearms School (MFS) here is a link to the class I cant speak to this class but I've taken 5-6 of Mac's other classes and he's a top notch instructor. great teacher for women.

I've taken his OC class. Good and informative and taught for the beginner. Discussed several types (spray/foam/etc.), different dispensers, proper usage, best types for situations (home use, on the street, etc.) effective ranges, pro's and cons' of each type and dispensing method. Like I said; good for the uneducated. It's been a couple years but there were quite a few woman in the class and they outnumbered the men. A few couples and even a father/daughter team in attendance; I thought that to be some good looking out by Dad. It was right after the MGL 284 law changed in 2014 so that may explain the full classroom then. My take is we left better for it and I'd recommended it.

Story is from 2010. Was arrested because he likely didn't have a FID - which isn't required for 18+ nowadays.

[FONT=&quot]Joseph Spencer, of 3 Merchant Road, Framingham, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]was charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and with a miscellaneous firearm violation[/FONT][FONT=&quot], since he did not have a license to carry the spray, police said.[/FONT]

Still relevant I'd say....

At least with pepper spray you can pull it out and threaten someone that's not (yet) a clear threat to your life. I'm pretty sure there's no such crime as brandishing pepper spray.

I brandish pepper spray on a regular basis whenever I get threatened by an illegally off leash dog. It happens all the time due to my activities such as biking and running and irresponsible azzholes who don't properly control their dogs. That usually makes the owner go from don't worry he's friendly to actually controlling the dog like they should. Sometimes the owner just controls the dog and backs off but sometimes it gets heated. When they start screaming I always say read the law. I have a legal right to kill your dog in this situation and if you were controlling the dog like you should be you and I wouldn't even be talking right now. That usually ends it. Sometimes there may be an eff you but that's when I respond with I hope you enjoy the rest of your day. I've never had a problem brandishing spray in those situations.

Get them the FID, with that they are insulated from real legal issues - the school can make life miserable but not as much as sexual assault would.

Martial arts class is useless except to give them more confidence and situational awareness.

My daughter just had her orientation at Bryant and asked about pepper spray - response was absolutely no problem to carry (but that's a private school in Rhode island)

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

Martial arts classes might not be effective but hand to hand self defense training is. There is a difference.

The level of martial arts skill necessary to enable a 120lb female to asswhomp a 200lb male is to say the least "considerable".

Len and I have been over this before - he has been unable to define what "successfully prosecuted' means. My guess is it is most likely a CWOF with payment of court costs or some minor penalty rather than a finding of guilt, or anything that would establish an actual precedent. But then, that is just a guess.

Martial arts training and self defense training are two different things. I've taken some of the latter. I could spend half an hour with a 120 lb female with 0 experience and give them a few tips on eye, ear, throat, and groin strikes and leave them much more well prepared to defend themselves.

Martial arts classes might not be effective but hand to hand self defense training is. There is a difference.

I told my SIL about the comments like this. She says that the dojo or whatever does offer self defense courses as well. I suggested she enroll the girls in that ASAP and then keep doing the Karate for the discipline aspects. I'll pay for it if it comes down to it.

I told my SIL about the comments like this. She says that the dojo or whatever does offer self defense courses as well. I suggested she enroll the girls in that ASAP and then keep doing the Karate for the discipline aspects. I'll pay for it if it comes down to it.

I think that's the best legal course of action here. Good on you for being an excellent uncle.

Our instructor told the story of a world class Taekwondo fighter who got mugged in Central Park. He was wearing a full length coat and he slipped and fell on wet pavement after trying to deliver a kick to the punk demanding his wallet. They call them sport martial arts for a reason. Without proper warm ups, attire, and a ref calling when go time is it's a whole different story. I'm not saying I'd like to mess with that guy but you get the point.....

Maybe he has a chicken sitting on his handle bars .... we just don't know!

Or maybe I was choking my chicken when it happened....or maybe if you're like the average NESer seen at shoots or etc. you could use some time behind a set of handlebars yourself....

My wife and daughters all have pepper spray (and LTC). But I do not think they have ever tested or practiced with it. I mean, when you really need it isn't the time to figure out how the safety works, orientation so that you aren't spraying yourself, range, wind direction, etc.

My wife and daughters all have pepper spray (and LTC). But I do not think they have ever tested or practiced with it. I mean, when you really need it isn't the time to figure out how the safety works, orientation so that you aren't spraying yourself, range, wind direction, etc.

The stream kind (vs the aerosol kind that makes a cloud) isn't very susceptible to normal wind.

Average range is about 6-8 feet in reality. Have them spray a quick shot at a tree just to see the range.

True...But a hard swift kick in the prunes always tends to put a damper on any plans for an evening (or minute) of romance.

Just sayin'

While the average male will normally expect, defend and block that kick, a good squeeze is often overlooked until too late...

Mom has already signed both girls up for Karate, but maybe a targeted self defense class is more appropriate. Will talk to her about that.

The problem with those self defense classes in my oh so humble opinion is the belief that taking a single class can train you to actually defend yourself. I've been studying various martial arts since I was 15, I'm now 46. Do I think I could handle a single person? Yes. My job dictates taking on groups of people, but do I think I could Bruce Lee a group of 30? No.

Take the class, but stay in a karate type school. It will reinforce what the class teaches, but the biggest bonus will be the way she/they carry themselves. The confidence will show in other ways and most people don't want to mess with a confident person. Besides, I can sum up most of those classes in a couple words: Nuts, Eyes, Neck, Knee, maybe Elbow.

It might be good to have her learn how to use a kubaton. She can buy one of the tactical pens and it could come in handy in a self-defense situation.

The stream kind (vs the aerosol kind that makes a cloud) isn't very susceptible to normal wind.

Average range is about 6-8 feet in reality. Have them spray a quick shot at a tree just to see the range.

Just be aware that once used there is a chance that the propellant will leak out over time and be useless when needed. Maybe buy two and try one out for aim and distance then throw it away.

Back
Top Bottom