Serbu Super Shorty

DickWanner

Banned
http://www.serbu.com/top/superShorty.php

super_shorty_870.jpg

I want one [sad2]

That just looks like it would hurt to shoot. It would be cool to see the looks you'd get at the range though.

I had heard of an M79 in S E Asia that had been cut down to a little less than that size. It stayed in country passed along to senior NCOs in rotation. Now I want one of THOSE!

illegal because it is manufactured by cutting down a shotgun. If you could find a manufacturer who builds the entire gun from scratch as a short barreled, then you could obtain it in MA as it was never a Title 1 firearm.
It's illegal even if they have a manufacturer's license?

It's illegal for you to own, because it's a "Sawn-off" shotgun. Factory SBS's are legal, but not ones made from formerly normal shotguns.

That's what I thought, just clarifying.

In fact, it's illegal for EVERYONE, manufacturers, military, and LEO included, based on my reading of the law.

Whoever, except as provided by law, possesses a machine gun, as defined in section one hundred and twenty-one of chapter one hundred and forty, without permission under section one hundred and thirty-one of said chapter one hundred and forty; or whoever owns, possesses or carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a sawed-off shotgun, as defined in said section one hundred and twenty-one of said chapter one hundred and forty, shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for life, or for any term of years provided that any sentence imposed under the provisions of this paragraph shall be subject to the minimum requirements of paragraph (a).

Note the lack of an 'except as provided by law' exception for the sawed off shotgun part.

wrong.

the Serbu super shorty is classified via ATF as an AOW (Any Other Weapon). i had looked into getting one.

it's a $5 tax stamp, and whatever the wait (probably 6+ months post election), and its yours.

Last edited:
Federal law wise, you're correct. However:
Sawed-off shotgun”, any weapon made from a shotgun, whether by alteration, modification or otherwise, if such weapon as modified has one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

“Shotgun”, a weapon having a smooth bore with a barrel length equal to or greater than 18 inches with an overall length equal to or greater than 26 inches, and capable of discharging a shot or bullet for each pull of the trigger.

How is it not a 'sawed off shotgun' according to MA law? The Mossberg or Remington it's made from is a shotgun, and it meets the rest of the sawed off definition.

according to the fed's, a shotgun is also define as "being fired from the shoulder"

this, is not. what (to my understanding) makes it an AOW is the addition of a forward vertical grip.

AFAIK, MA has no actual law governing AOW's. if you get the tax stamp (why not for $5), and your FFL will do the transfer, i dont see why it wouldnt be perfectly legal.

but then again, IANAL

26 USC Sec. 5845 01/02/2006

TITLE 26 - INTERNAL REVENUE CODE
Subtitle E - Alcohol, Tobacco, and Certain Other Excise Taxes
CHAPTER 53 - MACHINE GUNS, DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES, AND CERTAIN OTHER FIREARMS
Subchapter B - General Provisions and Exemptions
PART I - GENERAL PROVISIONS

Sec. 5845. Definitions

(e) Any other weapon
The term "any other weapon" means any weapon or device capable of
being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged
through the energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a
barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed
shotgun shell, weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels
12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a
single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual
reloading, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily
restored to fire. Such term shall not include a pistol or a
revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons
designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not
capable of firing fixed ammunition.

The federal law has NO BEARING on MA beyond the $5 AOW tax.

In MA, the definition forbids ANY shotgun that was cut down. PERIOD.

The shotgun would have to be built AS a federally defined AOW or SBS from scratch for it to avoid the MA restriction.

AFAIK, MA has no actual law governing AOW's. if you get the tax stamp (why not for $5), and your FFL will do the transfer, i dont see why it wouldnt be perfectly legal.

It still meets the MASSACHUSETTS definition of a "Sawed off shotgun". That definition applies whether the weapon in question is an SBS or an AOW according to the feds. FWIW, the serbu site also says no sales to MA.

It still meets the MASSACHUSETTS definition of a "Sawed off shotgun". That definition applies whether the weapon in question is an SBS or an AOW according to the feds. FWIW, the serbu site also says no sales to MA.

maybe we can own one of these insted, i dont think its a modified shotgun...
180px-XM26_2_highRes.jpg

Actually went into a shop in South Carolina (small shop) near a friends house a couple months ago and immediately upon entering saw three 50 cal rifles. Up on the wall was a shorty just like that minus the folding grip. Had a short conversation with the owners looking for preban mags and then he laughed and shook his head when informed about some of the laws in our state. I remember him saying the "any other weapon" part about the shotgun he had.

All I know is ME WANT!!!

Looks like something from a Mad Max movie. Now, I wonder what I could do with my Remington 11-48 and a hacksaw.

Not that I would, mind you. Just wonderin'.

wrong.

the Serbu super shorty is classified via ATF as an AOW (Any Other Weapon). i had looked into getting one.

it's a $5 tax stamp, and whatever the wait (probably 6+ months post election), and its yours.

Federal law and definitions are irrelevant. It is a state law.

Sawed-off shotgun”, any weapon made from a shotgun, whether by alteration, modification or otherwise, if such weapon as modified has one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

“Shotgun”, a weapon having a smooth bore with a barrel length equal to or greater than 18 inches with an overall length equal to or greater than 26 inches, and capable of discharging a shot or bullet for each pull of the trigger.

So humor me here, I've always wanted a serbu super shorty, but knew we couldn't play with them here in MA...UNTIL I JUST READ THE LAW...

If in Mass a reciever is not a "firearm", then one would assume a "virgin" reciever dimensionally equivalant to say a mossber 500's reciever, would not in itself, be a shotgun.

So then if I were to aquire such a "receiver" (which in MA alone is niether a firearm or shotgun), File the necceassry ATF Form 1 to make an AOW (or SBS if I wanted a stock). Then once approved by ATF add to that reciever a cut down barrel. Would I not then have a MA legal AOW (or SBS if stocked), because what I have was never made from a shotgun, as per MA definition?

And I shall call it the Securityboy Super Shorty [smile]

Back
Top Bottom