Sheehan giving up?

Anti-War Mom Gives Up on Peace Movement
By ANGELA K. BROWN
AP
FORT WORTH, Texas (May 29) - Cindy Sheehan, the soldier's mother who galvanized an anti-war movement with her monthlong protest outside President Bush 's ranch, says she's done being the public face of the movement.

"I've been wondering why I'm killing myself and wondering why the Democrats caved in to George Bush," Sheehan told The Associated Press by phone Tuesday while driving from her property in Crawford to the airport, where she planned to return to her native California.

"I'm going home for awhile to try and be normal," she said.

In what she described as a "resignation letter," Sheehan wrote in her online diary on the "Daily Kos" blog: "Good-bye America ... you are not the country that I love and I finally realized no matter how much I sacrifice, I can't make you be that country unless you want it.

"It's up to you now."

Sheehan began a grass roots peace movement in August 2005 when she set up camp outside the Bush ranch for 26 days, asking to talk with the President about the death of her son, Army Spc. Casey Sheehan. Casey Sheehan was 24 when he was killed in an ambush in Baghdad .

Cindy Sheehan started her protest small, but it quickly drew national attention. Over the following two years, she drew huge crowds as she spoke at protest events, but she also drew a great deal of criticism.

"I have endured a lot of smear and hatred since Casey was killed and especially since I became the so-called "Face" of the American anti-war movement," Sheehan wrote in the diary.

On Memorial Day, she came to some "heartbreaking conclusions," she wrote.

When she had first taken on Bush, Sheehan was a darling of the liberal left. "However, when I started to hold the Democratic Party to the same standards that I held the Republican Party, support for my cause started to erode and the 'left' started labeling me with the same slurs that the right used," she wrote.

"I guess no one paid attention to me when I said that the issue of peace and people dying for no reason is not a matter of 'right or left', but 'right and wrong,'" the diary says.

Sheehan criticized "blind party loyalty" as a danger, no matter which side it involved, and said the current two-party system is "corrupt" and "rapidly descending into with nary a check or balance: a fascist corporate wasteland."

Sheehan said she had sacrificed a 29-year marriage and endured threats to put all her energy into stopping the war. What she found, she wrote, was a movement "that often puts personal egos above peace and human life."

But she said the most devastating conclusion she had reached "was that Casey did indeed die for nothing ... killed by his own country which is beholden to and run by a war machine that even controls what we think".

"Casey died for a country which cares more about who will be the next American Idol than how many people will be killed in the next few months while Democrats and Republicans play politics with human lives," she wrote. It is so painful to me to know that I bought into this system for so many years and Casey paid the price for that allegiance. I failed my boy and that hurts the most."

"I am going to take whatever I have left and go home," Sheehan wrote.

"Camp Casey has served its purpose. It's for sale. Anyone want to buy five beautiful acres in Crawford, Texas?"

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/anti-war-mom-gives-up-on-peace-movement/20070529004709990001
I feel bad for her that her son died but she really is a whack job. After all he volunteered to serve and knew the risk in doing so. I am shocked she finally realized the dems were just using her to their advantage for good press and the like.

Disgusting bitch !

sheehan.jpg

I wonder if ANYBODY is anything other than Happy at this statement.

Her voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me (also she sound a LOT like Susan Collins (R-ino, Maine) who causes the same reaction.

Don't let the door bump you in the ass, Cindy!

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Agreed, she's a 100% certifiable whack job, and her self-assigned position as the official leader of the mourning parents of killed soldiers was bang out of order. I also think the anti-war people have realized she's a bit of a liability, and are probably happy she's retiring.

However, let me get this out of the way now (and it may be an unpopular opinion around here): Unlike the majority of people on the right who criticize her she has earned the right to say what she says. The only people who have any right to condemn her are those who have themselves served or are serving, or have loved ones in the same boat.

$50 says she's back in the news in less than a month's time. She is incapable of staying out of the limelight.

Though I didn't know her name back when she was just a wack-job "Pacifist" (Read: Coward) protesting any and every peice of America that still had any spine left.

It wasn't untill the Donks elevated her up as a Hero that she gained any noteriety.

Now even the moonbats are sick of her crap.

I bet she's gone...unless she self-immolates herself in Crawford...in which case I hope W roasts a marshmallow [laugh]

The only people who have any right to condemn her are those who have themselves served or are serving, or have loved ones in the same boat.

Wrong, everyone has the right to, all those men and women serve to make sure we have that right and one big difference in this case is she became a political puppet to the Democrats not just a mourning mother.

I am shocked at one thing, though... she got this right:
Sheehan criticized "blind party loyalty" as a danger, no matter which side it involved, and said the current two-party system is "corrupt" and "rapidly descending into with nary a check or balance: a fascist corporate wasteland."
I'm having a hard time disagreeing with that statement. [thinking]

What's really funny is that it seems like it was the DU'ers whom were the last straw that broke the camels back... [rofl]

I have endured a lot of smear and hatred since Casey was killed and especially since I became the so-called "Face" of the American anti-war movement. Especially since I renounced any tie I have remaining with the Democratic Party, I have been further trashed on such "liberal blogs" as the Democratic Underground. Being called an "attention whore" and being told "good riddance" are some of the more milder rebukes.

ROFL.... I think she's getting out because she knows if she's alienated even
the demoncat base with her tactics, all her posturing is now surely beyond
worthless. No use prancing around if only people in cambridge would pay
attention to her. [laugh]

-Mike

ROFL.... I think she's getting out because she knows if she's alienated even the demoncat base with her tactics, all her posturing is now surely beyond worthless. No use prancing around if only people in cambridge would pay attention to her.
You forgot San Francisco.

You forgot San Francisco.

Oh yes, you can't talk about domestic communism without
bringing up "Beijing-West" [laugh] Even in SF I think that
sheehan would be relegated to talking to the bums and greasy hippies
in the tenderloin district.

-Mike

ROFL.... I think she's getting out because she knows if she's alienated even
the demoncat base with her tactics, all her posturing is now surely beyond
worthless. No use prancing around if only people in cambridge would pay
attention to her. [laugh]

-Mike

I bet the reason she knows she's alienated the DNC is she started bouncing checks... other stories I've read speak of her financial situation. Where's Micheal Moore now? I think she bit the hand that fed her.

I'm not defending her

But I've seen more than one parent who becomes unhinged at the death of a child and get involved in some misguided quest. Sheehan is a pathetic creature who was used by the evil left-wing devils in our society as a shill for their
nefarious activities. Again, I'm not saying she is without fault here, but I've seen what these bastards are capable of. I think she is just too weak and stupid to resist it. I wish that she and her son are able to rest in peace.

Sheehan

She`s quitting because the liberal Dems stopped supporting her because she tried to hold them accountable for not cutting the funding for Iraq. The Liberal Dems used her against Bush and now that she`s trying to hold them accountable they`re dumping her. Maybe Chavez will give her a job. What a pathetic person. Her Husband divorced her. She`s alienated her kids and relatives.

But I've seen more than one parent who becomes unhinged at the death of a child and get involved in some misguided quest. Sheehan is a pathetic creature who was used by the evil left-wing devils in our society as a shill for their nefarious activities. Again, I'm not saying she is without fault here, but I've seen what these bastards are capable of. I think she is just too weak and stupid to resist it. I wish that she and her son are able to rest in peace.

+1.

But I've seen more than one parent who becomes unhinged at the death of a child and get involved in some misguided quest. Sheehan is a pathetic creature who was used by the evil left-wing devils in our society as a shill for their nefarious activities. Again, I'm not saying she is without fault here, but I've seen what these bastards are capable of. I think she is just too weak and stupid to resist it. I wish that she and her son are able to rest in peace.

Very well put Dave.

Back
Top Bottom