• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lock up those guns.

Ummm
He said unloaded. That segment refers to loaded.

What am I missing?
As i understood the question being presented was specifically placing a loaded firearm when getting your paperwork for an EPO
1911 changed the prompt by adding unloaded to his response therefore answering a question no one asked to try to make his argument look better.

Ummm
He said unloaded. That segment refers to loaded.

What am I missing?

Nothing.

I f***ed that up and misread his post. I assumed “loaded” in his first post where it wasn’t specified, and didn’t notice/ misread when he did specify.

@M1911 , I owe you an apology; Im sorry.

You’re right: an unloaded rifle or shotgun is fine.

As i understood the question being presented was specifically placing a loaded firearm when getting your paperwork for an EPO
1911 changed the prompt by adding unloaded to his response therefore answering a question no one asked to try to make his argument look better.

Ok, good. I’m not the only one who read it that way.

I still failed reading comprehension.

Or you are out duck hunting. EPO asks for your ID. You put your shotgun, loaded, on the back of the tailgate while you reach for iD. Ding! Improper storage
Nope, still under your direct control. I’m not defending the MA storage law, but your scenario is not a violation of MA law. I’ve been in that exact situation with a MA EPO — set my shotgun down in my open hatchback so that I could hand him my LTC and hunting license. He checked my papers, handed them back to me, and I was on my way.

OK, I'm not crazy. The original context, and the thing I objected to, was in fact for a LOADED shotgun, not an UNloaded one as @M1911 later asserted.

So, while we're talking about possibilities, is there an exact federal requirement for the transport of firearms? I ask cuz I have a station wagon (yes, I'm living in the past) with a small rear deck compartment over the tiny spare tire. One could argue that this is inaccessible to the driver, or not. I'm thinking of just putting a piece of pipe through a hasp to hold the cover closed and locking it in place. Granted that one could probably rip the plastic cover completely from the rest of the car, but it would it be considered inaccessible enough?

So, while we're talking about possibilities, is there an exact federal requirement for the transport of firearms? I ask cuz I have a station wagon (yes, I'm living in the past) with a small rear deck compartment over the tiny spare tire. One could argue that this is inaccessible to the driver, or not. I'm thinking of just putting a piece of pipe through a hasp to hold the cover closed and locking it in place. Granted that one could probably rip the plastic cover completely from the rest of the car, but it would it be considered inaccessible enough?

There are no federal transport requirements

I have a station wagon, too. So does my wife. Both of our previous cars were wagons. My car before that was a wagon. She had a few hatchbacks, which are short station wagons.

Living in the past, perhaps, but still doing it right.

I meant actual 'transport' as opposed to carrying, so
well, yeah, there are: 18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms
so the question is, how 'readily' or 'directly' accessible is the rear compartment?

That's in the context of FOPA.

There is no federal requirement that you do all that shit when you drive between states that don't have transport requirements.

It's not like you're going to pull over at the border of Montana, pack up all your stuff according to 18 USC §926A then unpack them all when you get into Idaho.

Which is to say, if you want to drive from Mass. to Montana, you better follow 18 USC §926A when driving through New York, because doing so protects you from NY laws.

That's in the context of FOPA.

There is no federal requirement that you do all that shit when you drive between states that don't have transport requirements.

It's not like you're going to pull over at the border of Montana, pack up all your stuff according to 18 USC §926A then unpack them all when you get into Idaho.

Which is to say, if you want to drive from Mass. to Montana, you better follow 18 USC §926A when driving through New York, because doing so protects you from NY laws.
But I'm driving from MA -> NY -> NJ -> PA.
So NY and NJ are the PITA's I need to avoid.

Back
Top Bottom