Shipping primed brass

Do I have to pay Hazmat fees when shipping primed brass through UPS? I have some primed new Remington 9mm brass that I want to sell but don't know if I would have to pay the extra shipping fee.

I don't think so, but Hazmat shipping is MUCH more complicated than paying the fee. You must have a hazmat contract with UPS, and this requires you complete their certified training, and sign a contract agreeing to pay, without limit, all costs of cleanup of any hazmat spill of your stuff even if caused by UPS error. The process is neither simple nor cheap, and not practical for an individual with occasional shipments.

I don't think so, but Hazmat shipping is MUCH more complicated than paying the fee. You must have a hazmat contract with UPS, and this requires you complete their certified training, and sign a contract agreeing to pay, without limit, all costs of cleanup of any hazmat spill of your stuff even if caused by UPS error. The process is neither simple nor cheap, and not practical for an individual with occasional shipments.

Hmm. Never had to do anything special when receiving components from my distributors other than paying an outrageos hazmat fee. Is this new?

Hmm. Never had to do anything special when receiving components from my distributors other than paying an outrageos hazmat fee. Is this new?
It is not new - the shipper had to do all of these things before tendering your package to UPS. The recipient is not required to complete UPS hazmat training or have a UPS hazmat account, but the shipper is.

You must have a hazmat contract with UPS, and this requires you complete their certified training, and sign a contract...

NOT TRUE:
I just moved to MA from CA and shipped all my ammo to myself with UPS. It took me about 2hrs on UPS's website to figure this out. The easy thing to do is call their HazMat support center: 800-554-9964. They are helpful and confirm what's below.

Treat primed brass as ammo. All you need to ship ammo (not powder or bulk primers) is:

* Pack them in a good box. The box must be stamped with either
-Burst strength = 200PSI or​
-corner crush strenght = 30lbs​
* Declare that you are shipping small arms ammo.
* Ship it via. Ground service.
* Apply a lable similar to this one:
ORM-DLabel.jpg

Not simple, but perfectly do-able.

NOT TRUE:
I just moved to MA from CA and shipped all my ammo to myself with UPS.

I was speaking of Hazmat, but did not mean to imply that I was certain that primed cases were "hazmat" rather than ORM-D.

Ammo is ORM-D, not Hazmat. You can ship ammo without a Hazmat contract (I have done so on numerous occasions). I posted my labels at www.uspsa.org/orm-d.

Powder and primers not loaded into ammo are Hazmat, do not fall within the limits of ORM-D, and do indeed require a hazmat shipping contract with UPS. I wasn't sure which side of the line primed brass fell on, so your info on that is indeed good news.

HMR; 49 CFR Parts 171-180 Hazardous Materials Regulations: As applied to an individual private citizen shipping "cartridges, small arms ORM-D.

For purposes of the HMR, "hazmat employee" means a person who Is employed by a hazmat employer and who, in the course of employment, directly affects hazardous materials transportation safety. The term "hazmat employer" means a person who uses one or more of its employees in connection with, among other things, causing a hazardous material to be transported or shipped in commerce.
Regarding your question; an individual or private citizen does not meet the definition of a "hazmat employee" and is not required to have hazardous materials training. No fees apply. However, an individual or private citizen must comply with all applicable HMR requirements when offering hazardous materials to a commercial carrier for transportation in commerce. As prescribed in the exceptions in § 173.63(b), small arms cartridges which have been classed as a Division 1.4s explosive may be reclassed, offered for transportation, and transported as ORM-D material when packaged in accordance with § 173.63(b)(2). Label ORM-D, drop it off at UPS main hub, ship away.............

+1 Cockpitbob

Last edited:
IANAL, but it has been my understanding that primed cases can be shipped as ORM-D by UPS Ground. If this is indeed the case, then there is no need to pay HazMat fees, get special training or other hassles associated with HazMat shipments. Having never shipped ammo, components or primed brass, I've never had reason to verify this.

However, I seem to recall learning about this from reading some catalogs where primed brass was offered for sale and they explained that HazMat fees did NOT apply. This was a few years ago, so I don't recall who the vendor was.

Back
Top Bottom